Technical Vibrating / buzzing noise when lights turned on

Currently reading:
Technical Vibrating / buzzing noise when lights turned on

MuesliBeans

I've got an 05 Scudo van with 55k on clock and it drives brilliantly but I've discovered a vibrating / buzzing noise which only comes on as soon as I turn on my lights. When I turn them off it stops immediately. From inside the van the noise sounds like its coming from inside the passenger side glove box, from outside the van it sounds like its coming from behind the lights on the passenger side. Turning on other electrical components (radio, heater, head lights, indicators, etc) does not make the noise happen. What could this be and is it serious?!

Thanks!

Sounds like it could be one of the motors for adjusting the headlights up & down, Inside the cab you have a switch for adjustind the lights when you have a load on. The switch is normaly a rotational wheel type switch numbered 0,1,2,3, . In the back of each headlight there is a motor that adjusts the lights accordingly. If one of the guides inside the light jams then the motor will keep trying to adjust the light as it will not be able to reach the requested position from the switch.
Simple way to check would be to have engine running, open bonnet and stand beside the lights whilst somebody else switches them on. If you hear the motor running for more than 5 seconds inside the headlight then this will be the problem.
If this is the case a simple fix would be to disconect the motor and make sure you get you lights set (manualy adjusted) to the required MOT hight and angle. As long as they are set to mot standards then its not worth spending any money on. Please update if this is the problem or not.

Sounds like it could be one of the motors for adjusting the headlights up & down, Inside the cab you have a switch for adjustind the lights when you have a load on. The switch is normaly a rotational wheel type switch numbered 0,1,2,3, . In the back of each headlight there is a motor that adjusts the lights accordingly. If one of the guides inside the light jams then the motor will keep trying to adjust the light as it will not be able to reach the requested position from the switch.
Simple way to check would be to have engine running, open bonnet and stand beside the lights whilst somebody else switches them on. If you hear the motor running for more than 5 seconds inside the headlight then this will be the problem.
If this is the case a simple fix would be to disconect the motor and make sure you get you lights set (manualy adjusted) to the required MOT hight and angle. As long as they are set to mot standards then its not worth spending any money on. Please update if this is the problem or not.

Thanks for the help, I've been out all day and have only just seen your post now. I'll have a look ASAP and let you know how I get on. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!!

Another thought although think Big Dongs hit the bail on the head already, although this may only apply to the Taxi TW200 conversion...on some days, particularly when damp-the electronic dimmer for internal lights invokes a low frequency drone in the intercom and radio until lights are turned fully on or off. Make sure your radio(s) is/are not turned on when is ignition turned on, particularly if its tuned off channel to white noise.

Last edited:
Seems like you hit the nail on the head bigdong. I did what you said and have stopped the noise!! Thanks for the tip, it was driving me nuts and I was expecting to have to fork out a wad to fix whatever it was!

Back