General Stop start punto evo

Currently reading:
General Stop start punto evo

Co2

My Fiat punto stops then comes straight back on. If i take it on long run it works fine but then back to starting on its own next day. Do i need to take this to fiat?
Also passanger window goes down in auto but not up :( i can live with this though.
Stop start really bugging me :( might just sell it and lose money on it, think made mistke getting it.

Any help please thank you

If stop start 'starts' again straight away then you need your battery charged using the correct 'pulse' battery charger, get your garage to do this as they should of done/checked this at PDI stage as it's clearly mentioned on the check list sheet, so leave it overnight. I think a software update might apply to your model, but it is doing it simply because the charge is low. All cars have a similar set up so selling it for another car will make little/no difference. The fact you pay lower car tax is due to having stop/start.

Your window is working fine, the reason it does this is to stop you chopping your passengers head off for a laugh;)

Last edited:
How old is your car?

i have just had to replace the battery on my 2010 1.4 8v due to it been knackered......

What you will probably find is the Dealership will want to keep the car over night to "pulse charge" the battery in an attempt to recover it.. If it works great :cool:

But if after a few days / weeks it stops working correctly it will probably need a new battery due to loss of capacity..

Do you have access to a multi meter?

if so when you park up pop the bonnet and lock the car leave the bonnet open but dont unlock the car again

(this is important for this test as it keeps the car "asleep" when you unlock it some of the cars components wake up eg interior light, dashboard)

anyhow measure the battery voltage after 10 minutes it must read higher than 12.72v dc any lower and that funny sensor on the battery negative clamp will instruct the system to shut down......

see here also:

https://www.fiatforum.com/500/318869-stop-start-failure-twin-air.html?p=3177630
if the battery cant maintain capacity after ten mins thats more than likely your issue

Is stop start no good for short journeys? Got pay to change warranty over joke!

Starts up between 10-15 seconds when engine has just been cold after good run works fine.

Any help thanks

on short journeys the start stop will not even come into effect its a rather smart system (when it works)

it monitors battery charge

(the alternator is beefed up to shove max charge in hence the special battery)

But if the car is "cold" it wont come on...

likewise if the heated rear screen is on it wont cut in (there are load of things than influence its functionality see the hand book) :)

Is stop start no good for short journeys? Got pay to change warranty over joke!

Charge it yourself then, you can get a draper BCI charger for £25 that will do the job.

Your car is nearly 3 years old, a certain amount of maintenance is required on your (or your local garages) part...again, selling it on will achieve.

I've done just over 500miles in my Punto Evo 1.4, and its never worked. Sometimes it'll say "stop start unavailable" but the majority or the time it won't say or do anything..

So is my car doing what it should do or? Sorry for sounding silly but its a nice car just think stop start and the window has ruined it :(

I do alot of short journeys seems unfair i got take on long runs to charge it.

So is my car doing what it should do or? Sorry for sounding silly but its a nice car just think stop start and the window has ruined it :(

I do alot of short journeys seems unfair i got take on long runs to charge it.

Have you actually read any of what people have taken the time above to post?Seems unfair it doesn't work on short journeys, please, I suspect you'd be the first to complain if it stopped and didn't restart due to a flat battery.If you do as has been advised above it should work on short journeys as long as the engine warms up.

Have you actually read any of what people have taken the time above to post?Seems unfair it doesn't work on short journeys, please, I suspect you'd be the first to complain if it stopped and didn't restart due to a flat battery.If you do as has been advised above it should work on short journeys as long as the engine warms up.

So take it fiat?

Yes :)

get them to check the battery they will probably want to keep the car to try and pulse charge it over night...

so either book it in and arrange a courtesy car Or check out the local bus times ;)

Start stop.JPG

Been told by fiat pointless having battery charge as im only gonna be doing short runs after. Whole system seems pointless after only having the car a month im selling it.

Didnt do any of this when test drove it.

GUTTED :(

Been told by fiat pointless having battery charge as im only gonna be doing short runs after. Whole system seems pointless after only having the car a month im selling it.

You're selling a car over a minor fault which doesn't affect its running or functionality to get you from A-B in any way? How silly.

Go back to Fiat and tell them to sort it.

What sort of short journeys do you do?

Last edited:

Find another dealer who knows their stuff the reason the start stop is cutting the engine back in almost straight away is the battery voltage is dropping rapidly..Which a healthy battery should be able to support....

the fact your doing short journeys shouldn't cause the issue as it wont actually work at all if the battery is low on charge or the car is cold...

But a pulse charge MIGHT recover it if not it will probably need a new battery OR a software update...

Not all dealers have sent a staff member on the dedicated start stop course as this obviously costs time and money

Doing about 20miles in the week max. Mainly gets used for weekends.

Andy how much did it cost you to change you battery. Did you still have warranty?

Back