General LHD to RHD mods

Currently reading:
General LHD to RHD mods

The last couple of months I have been strongly considering bringing my LHD Grande Punto Sporting to the UK… Now I imagine that it is definitely easier and cheaper to just a buy another one here…but for me it would just not be the same!

So apart from that being a crazy idea I have also found that I would need to do the following if I was to register the car:

1) The front lights should obviously not blind incoming vehicles
2) The speedometer should have mph markings (in addition to km/h)
3) The fog/reverse lights should be interchanged

Now, assuming that I’ve got the above three right, I am looking for any suggestions/experience anyone of you might have in the above process! For example:

1) Are the front lights adjustable so that I would not have to change them?
2) Any suggestions on the speedometer, given that I wouldn’t want to change the entire cluster? I am thinking on getting a customized fascia. Does anyone know a company that makes them?
3) Does switching the fog/reverse lights require modifications on the wiring or could it simply be a matter of reprogramming the ECU?

Any additional comments/suggestions/help would be much appreciated (y) !!!

Just skimming those it sounds easy so long as you are coming from within the eu, no need for an sva test by the sounds of things, just a declaration that you have switched the headlights. No VAT to pay either.

In my search for replacing the speedometer display with one that has MPH markings, I have contacted a company named Lockwood International (in Leeds) with a request to get a customized result that would pretty much resemble my current speedometer. They have estimated the cost to 190£ + vat + 7.95£ for postage….

Now, is it me or is that way too expensive for just the fascia?!

Attachments

• 2012-04-01 16.42.34.jpg
    2012-04-01 16.42.34.jpg
    934.3 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC03430.JPG
    DSC03430.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
I’m also afraid that it will not pass a MOT test, although I’ve read in one or two forums that they don’t even notice the KM/H speedometer… Though that sounds really hard to believe as how wouldn’t someone notice it on left-hand drive car…
Unfortunately, my experience so far shows that the prices for just the speedometer fascia - which has to be customized for the Sporting as the revs counter displays up to 8k RPM – are really expensive like 200+….. and I still haven’t heard of anyone else’s story here about a customized speedometer fascia and prices…

Yet again I ask why are you not changing the clocks with a UK one. They're only about £50 on eBay.

The entire speedo cluster you mean? I guess that’s also a solution… it sounds a bit more complex though… to remove the entire panel instead of just the fascia… plus last time I checked on ebay I couldn’t find a compatible one (e.g. revs counter up to 8000)

Back