Off Topic Japan

Currently reading:
Off Topic Japan

Was it called the "Cloma"???

getmecoat.gif

Sorry - there is reference here that sales were intended .... http://www.italiaspeed.com/new_models/2005/fiat/croma/technology.html

...."What is more, to ensure that the fuel supply system is not damaged, the structure was successfully subjected to the test envisaged by the strict Japanese legislation".

I read somewhere that Japanese like their cars to be at most 3 years old and after that they tend to get exported.

Given the Croma's legendary reliability it would probably have been the perfect for their market. I mean, how much can go wrong with a car in 3 years?......

I read somewhere that Japanese like their cars to be at most 3 years old and after that they tend to get exported.

Given the Croma's legendary reliability it would probably have been the perfect for their market. I mean, how much can go wrong with a car in 3 years?......

Tends to be 10 years they get exported, or a year or two before, as at 10 years of age their MOTs get a lot stricter or something.

I can't find any evidence that Cromas sold in Japan, they have 500 and puntos, there were a few in Singapore. Certainly not many made in RH drive.
Italiaspeed referred to a test that was passed.
When you put your car on ebay there's some description to rip off.

HIDs = Yobbo :D

I've got some blue-white Osram bulbs. They look pretty nice and give a bright daylight-style light at night. A big improvement. Oh, and they're legal and won't cause anyone to give you full-beam or foglights when you burn their retinas out.

You'll fail your MOT if they don't include self-levelling (possibly washers too?).

if levellers and washers are fitted they are testable and have to work, if not fitted its a pass

Spot on Dave. (y)

The MOT test does not require washers and levellers to be present regardless as to whether HIDs/Xenons/747 landing lights or whatever are fitted.

However, if they are then they have to be operational.

The HIDS themselves will pass/fail based on the same standards as per any other bulb type - a) its working b) direction.

Therefore as per any bulb if its working and the headlight direction is positioned correctly they will pass.

A couple of local MOT test stations have told me this - one following them having been put "to the test" by VOSA with one of their own "test" cars :eek:

There's nothing like going off-topic-off-topic. I thought I'd think laterally and look further south, in fact back to where the Panda South Africa adventurers started. It seems that the Croma is about the only recent FIAT model they haven't sold there, but there are one or two models we don't get either such as the Palio, Siena and Linea. The Strada pick up is a pretty little thing as well.

I also thought it interesting that the original Grande Punto was being sold right up until last year and some of the Evo models still had the original dashboard.

Oh, and er, 2007 Uno anybody? Bottom right of page 1 for you sir.

It might be to do with the UK tax laws. Most people who want a pickup are self-employed. I think (not certain) that if a van can't carry a ton payload then it's classed as a company car and you get clobbered for loads of benefit-in-kind tax.

All the big Tonka-toy things that rich builders charge around in are over a tonne, so are cheaper to run than running a Panda privately.

Back