Technical Buying a Stilo with Faulty Indicator?

Currently reading:
Technical Buying a Stilo with Faulty Indicator?

Hello! I am new to the forum, and I am intending to purchase a 2005 Fiat Stilo Active 16V, 1368CC Petrol, 5DR, Manual on Monday. I'm also expected to pay up £1200 (Good price? It's quite tidy, new battery apparently, tyres seem ok, 1/4 a tank of fuel yesterday but not getting until Monday. Been driven only by an old chap who doesn't go over 40mph :D)

I test drove it today and noticed that when you indicate left, the stick bounces back up and doesn't stay stuck down like it normally would. Is there any reason for this? And any way to fix it? I don't know anything about cars so please try to be gentle in your responses!
smile.gif

Thank you!

Sarah

Hi, Welcome to the FF.

Common problem, caused by the small rubber gaiter around the bottom of the switch. Either reposition the gaiter or it may need a small part of the rubber cutting out.

Last edited:
Hi, Welcome to the FF.

Common problem, caused by the small rubber gaiter around the bottom of the switch. Either reposition the gaiter or it may need a small part ot the rubber cutting out.

Thank you, as long as it's nothing major to worry about :) Just found it incredibly annoying for the short duration I drove the car :D

Originally the man selling it wanted £1500, bit steep for me at the moment especially considering I've seen other Stilo's out there with similar mileage and within 6 months of age for less than £1000, so I offered £1200, but wonder if I offered too much as he seemed quite happy with it lol. But he was quite old so I didn't want to be too cheeky!! :D

Yeah I think I am! I was very excited when I saw it and after I realized I was going to get it on Monday, I just pondered about it afterwards (Obviously I searched autotrader too and shopped around a bit) so thought I'd ask here :D

I've always been terrible at spending money, but it sounds as though it's been really well looked after, my neighbour is happy to service it and check it over before the MOT, and help me out with anything that needs doing (It's his dad's car - So I know it's coming from somewhere good).

At least you reassured me a bit. :eek:

Last edited:
welcome to the club, sounds like you are really excited about the car?!

I have a similar issue with my indicator, except mine always stays in position if i push it back down the second time:bang: as said, the gaitor seems to be an issue-mine wasnt in position but putting it back correctly didnt fix it for me but mine isnt as bad as yours so it didnt bother me-either way, itll be an easy fix.

What I would do, if the car has had a gentle life, is give it a gentle thrashing. Get some injector cleaner in there, get it up to motorway speed so that if there is any issues they will come to light-perhaps get your neighbour to do this? Sounds like it is in good condition though, but i am ever suspicious through experience!!

best of luck with it, £1200 sounds fine to be honest, if it really is in great condition etc. These are great cars, well worth £1200, but best not to compar eit to those you saw at sub £1k-those could have been issue filled metal monsters! This one you be be paying a smidge more for a car in way better condition and one that has been looked after.(y)

welcome to the club, sounds like you are really excited about the car?!

I have a similar issue with my indicator, except mine always stays in position if i push it back down the second time:bang: as said, the gaitor seems to be an issue-mine wasnt in position but putting it back correctly didnt fix it for me but mine isnt as bad as yours so it didnt bother me-either way, itll be an easy fix.

What I would do, if the car has had a gentle life, is give it a gentle thrashing. Get some injector cleaner in there, get it up to motorway speed so that if there is any issues they will come to light-perhaps get your neighbour to do this? Sounds like it is in good condition though, but i am ever suspicious through experience!!

best of luck with it, £1200 sounds fine to be honest, if it really is in great condition etc. These are great cars, well worth £1200, but best not to compar eit to those you saw at sub £1k-those could have been issue filled metal monsters! This one you be be paying a smidge more for a car in way better condition and one that has been looked after.(y)

Thank you for your input :D Yes, it looks really good apart from the indicator but I'll tell the neighbour what needs doing and he'll sort it lol. Apparently it's got a brand new battery, water pump and rear tyres changed last year, and I'm sure he was talking about other stuff that's good about it but it went a bit over my head... :)

I am replacing a car I bought early January (whose brakes went within 10miles of driving, discovered a huge puddle in drivers footwell and guy who sold it decided to tell me a whole bunch of lies) So VERY difficult for me to trust buying a car nowadays, but know the neighbour well and he's always tinkering with cars so I feel quite confident with this one. Hope it lasts forever..:)

Depending on what mileage the car's done, probably the most important thing is to find out, and if possible see documentary evidence of, when the timing belt (also known as cam belt) was last replaced. If that breaks while you're driving, it would lead to an expensive repair bill.

Depending on what mileage the car's done, probably the most important thing is to find out, and if possible see documentary evidence of, when the timing belt (also known as cam belt) was last replaced. If that breaks while you're driving, it would lead to an expensive repair bill.

second this. Dont want to be scaring you, but it will be good to know if the tiing belt is done or not. I am pretty sure your neighbour will think of this though, so if its not something you know too much about, then hopefully they will pick up on it and let you know.

Its a shame that there are people out there, willing to lie and deceieve for a few quid. Where it comes to cars, I just cannot tolerate people like this. Cars can be death traps if not looked after, and to sell a car with dodgy brakes is just plain evil-brakes are pretty much the most important parts on a vehicle, and you just cant take chances like that.

Hi, Welcome to the FF.

Common problem, caused by the small rubber gaiter around the bottom of the switch. Either reposition the gaiter or it may need a small part of the rubber cutting out.

Thank You!!!! Now fixed a problem that has been irritating me for 3 years :bang:

second this. Dont want to be scaring you, but it will be good to know if the tiing belt is done or not. I am pretty sure your neighbour will think of this though, so if its not something you know too much about, then hopefully they will pick up on it and let you know.

Its a shame that there are people out there, willing to lie and deceieve for a few quid. Where it comes to cars, I just cannot tolerate people like this. Cars can be death traps if not looked after, and to sell a car with dodgy brakes is just plain evil-brakes are pretty much the most important parts on a vehicle, and you just cant take chances like that.

Yes Cambelt was done last year. It has a water pump and battery replaced recently too. It's been kept up together, even had the advisories done from last MOT :)

Posting some pictures of my new car!! http://s56.beta.photobucket.com/user/wheeezard/library/Fiat Stilo
Fiat%20Stilo

Hi, Welcome to the FF.

Hi. I can confirm this. I have had the very same problem. I have pulled the rubber thingy out towards the end of the switch and it works like new. I just left it like this for now. Once the weather gets warmer will try to amend the rubber but I can't be asked now.
Thanks for the tip!

that looks REALLY nice, i love it! Black really suits the five door, and it still looks modern because a lot of modern 5 door cars are very similar in shape, such as VW's and Skodas etc

:D Had a bit of an issue today - I drove for about an hour (on motorway) , and after the first 20minutes it started squeaking, like metal on metal. Seemed to be quiet if I turned the steering wheel slightly either way. Continued on with the noise and stopped for 1.5 hours, went to drive the hour home and after 10mins, started squealing again (seemed quite loud and noticeable) - Tried the brakes and it stopped making any noise even if I just touched the brakes gently.

Told my neighbour! He said it sounded like the brakes since touching them gently stopped the sound, but I said it sounded like it was from the back passenger side, and he thought it odd that it seemed to stop when I turned the wheel a bit as that usually means it the front? Anyway, he's going to take the back tyre off when he gets the chance and have a look for me. He said it could be a number of things, but typically when he drove it for 10-15mins it didn't make a sound :D

Hope it's a quick easy and cheap fix... :)

he is right it could be a number of things, may just be a stone chip trapped between brake shield and disc, see if the noise has gone then may off just been stone chip and now fallen away, or a small part of disc shield could of touched they tend to rust and shake loose small bits of rust from them, worst case worn brake pads that would need replacing asap as in do not drive until done..I know you say has lot of bits recently done not sure if the brakes were on that list ..but if it has gone and your brakes no longer make noise more like stone chip that now fallen out of harms way

(y)yup, what MHOWSE says. Could easily be the front brakes, even though it sounded like it was coming from the back-extrenal sounds travel very oddly on any car. id say it is likely that one of the rear pads is wearing thin and getting close to the wear marks. You neighbour wil check this, he'll take the wheels of the back, inspect the calipers and pads. if he finds uneven wear, then thats probably the source of the squeek-dont forget than when you turn the steering wheel at speed, the vehicle flexes a bit, and this can affect the rear brakes if they are sticking slightly..but thats only a very small probability...!

On the motorway, your brakes will heat up much more than a general drive around town, I get the impression it is a caliper sticking slightly and wearing the pads unevenly, probably on the inside. Even if its that, its not the end of the world as a new caliper is cheap, new pads are cheap and even new discs are cheap-and changing them is easy.

let us know what it turns out to be, fingers crossed its nothing difficult!(y)

Thanks again for the replies! He had a quick look (without taking tyre off) on the back where I thought it was coming from, and he seemed happy and said it's got discs on the back as well as the front so he doesn't have to remove something else to look at it? Just take off the tyre..? Lol. Can't remember exactly what he said and I have NO clue about cars so I'm a bit in the lost but trust him to sort it (y)

Apparently he fixed the front discs or something brake related on both the front ones so it would be less likely to be the front, but I'm sure he'll find it :chin:

He seemed to think it would be ok for me to drive around locally (That's mostly what I do) He asked when I'd be driving "further" again lol. I just potter around with my kids and to the supermarket which is only 2 minutes up the road anyway. Think it's good to do so? Or should I try and refrain from using it at all...? :)

sounds like he meant that if they were drum brakes on the rear, he'd have to take the drum housing apart to get to the shoes. So what he means is, he just takes the wheel off, and has full access to the discs, pads and calipers (the braking system for that wheel)-nice and easy and simple to fix if ther eis an issue

i'd be fairly sure you will be fine driving...lets put it this way, i was driving around with no pads left on my brakes-metal to metal...this is bad...so i am sure you will be fine if its just a little squeel! The rear brakes dont do much anyway when driving-they come on under harder breaking, extra load in the car or handbrake, generally the braking is done at the front wheels.

Back