Technical Distributor

Currently reading:
Technical Distributor

shaun

Established member
I have removed my distributor and need to know how to put it back in the right position, i have read that you can put it in 360 degrees out.Do you align the rotor up with 1 or 4 on the cap?

Thanks Shaun

You can put it back at any angle - there is no right or wrong (360 degrees out doesn't make any sense by the way - 360 = 0). The only real consideration is the alignment of the cap against the bulkhead which can make the leads hard to fit.

Static timing is traditionally done against #4

I've read my last post again and it isn't exactly clear.

Try this - do your static timing without the cap on.
Put some tank tape across the top of the distributor to hold the rotor and shaft (try not to stick anything to the end of the rotor - it isn't hugely important but sticky gunk is sticky gunk and cleaning it off is a pain).
Undo the shaft clamp on the block and lift the distributor out - you can now turn the whole assembly to any angle and you will still the same timing. It is the angle of the rotor relative to the head that is important - not the assembly to the block. Don't forget to take the tank tape off and to refit the shaft clamp (you've probably worked that bit out for yourself).

The important bit is that while doing the static timing you set the distributor to "fire" at TDC - the cam timing on the back of the cam pulley is aligned for #4 but if in doubt you can take the cam cover off and check the cam position.

As far as the crank is concerned #1 and #4 are the same thing so when the engine is running and you use a timing light the effect is the same regardless of using #1 or #4 as the trigger for the strobe.

Thanks Jimbro

I hope this will sort it as i cannot seem to get the cam belt to line up 100% on 5 degrees.I seem to be about half a tooth out so it is either 0 degrees or 10,will that make any difference to the starting ?

Thanks Shaun

Back