Technical Another Airbag thread!

Currently reading:
Technical Another Airbag thread!

Barnster

Hi all.

I acquired a Punto a week or so ago and the airbag light is on constantly. 02 1.2 Active with driver and passenger airbags - no side/seat bags.

FiatECUScan tell me it's "09 passenger squib circuit - open circuit"

I have implemented the modified wiring loom fix for the isolator switch as a precaution and cleaned the electrical contacts on ECU plug, passenger and driver's airbag connectors. The light is still on.

Spoken to my local independent Fiat chap and he says that he's never heard of an ECU failure. It appears that the passenger airbag has been swapped as the fascia panel is slightly darker than the rest of the car. The ECU had a similar amount of dust on it as the surrounding area in the car so wouldn't think that has been changed.

Is there anyway to emulate the passenger airbag with a resister across the plug to eliminate a wiring issue?

Any thoughts on this appreciated as I want to fix this before next MOT and incurring the cost of changing the headgasket.

Regards

Barnster

Last edited:
Dont just bodge the airbag light FFS
its a device that could save your passengers life!

Imagine you had a crash - they found your airbag went off but not his/hers
They died and they'd be looking to see why it didnt go off!

i believe it indicates that the circuit isnt ""connected"" Hence its a Open circuit, the ECU cant see/detect the airbag

So make sure you discharge the airbag system correctly before doing any work

Ziggy

Hi there, was not considering bodging anything.

I read somewhere that you could use a resistor (can't find link or value) to emulate the airbag to test the ECU/cable without having to pull the car to pieces.

That way I could simply replace the Airbag if proven that's where the issue lies.

Regards,

BS

all you need to do is test the continuity between the airbag ecu and the airbag its self pretty easy and quick to do with a multimeter and not risky messing about with resistors, assuming that continuity is ok then its pretty much guaranteed you need a new airbag.

Back