General Rev counter

Currently reading:
General Rev counter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Planning on fitting a rev-counter next week on me uno..but don't know which one to go for. I want a small one which I can fit to the A-pillar.

Was thinkin of goin for the smoked ones as those are the ones I like. I have one question about them though. Do you know if they light up properly during the day and if they can be read in direct sunlight?? It's pretty sunny here in Malta!!

Here is a link for those of you who dont know how smoked guages are!!

http://www.xyberautos.com/catalog/p...products_id=458

Hope to hear from you
Thanks

Didn't you get the 70SX or a posh 55 / 60 HP SX Uno in Malta :confused:

the cost diference for me to fit the SX clocks was UKp £70. I was quotrd UKp £90 for a stand alone tachometer - I paid UKp £20 for the SX clocks - perhaps I was lucky.

The Uno Turbo clocks will go in too if you can find one (y)

You would have a few redundent dials :( - there are a few ideas on https://www.fiatforum.com/showthread.php?t=28672 if you get Turbo dials.

Your link now works but I can't see the price. ;)

Kind Regards,

yes we DID get them but here in Malta being such a small island many people buy the smaller engined cars. THe models you mentioned are very rare. I only know of 2 Turbos on the island in fact.

The rev counter on the link costs only 35 of your pounds!! Not much I think!!
Do you have any idea if they show up properly during daylight?

You think it looks cool??

Hi there,

:confused: I think My computer is missing a font. The page in your last link doesn’t show any rev counters - Just Volt, Oil Temp and Vacuum gages. I see – “Á¦Ç° À̹ÌÁö¿¡ ÀÖ´Â "°ÔÀÌÁö ÄÅ"Àº º»»óÇ°Àº º°µµ·Î”

They look mean (y) - not sure how they work so I couldn't say if they show good in daylight. I'd guess for that price they are mechanical pointers :eek: not LCD displays :confused: so should show OK.

What rev range are you going for?

:eek: at only 2 Turbos on your island BTW.

Yeah I know there are no rev counters...but I just sent you the link so that you get an idea of how they light up!! I will ask the guy at the shop if I can connect it to the battery before I buy it so that I can see if it lights up properly. The rev-range of the rev counter is from 0-8000rpm! Unfortunately it is red-lined at 7000rpm!!:S Not sure I'll be taking my UNO to those speeds!!

Anyone else know how they light up
Thanks Louie for the help;)

Hi TS86,

In the MK2 its 2 Alan key bolts to remove the pod.

Pull clocks forward and unplug the 4 electrical plugs and the Speedo cable – noting plug positions.

You will need to add only 1 wire to the coil’s Green wire. I used the N/S one.
695707.jpg

I soldered the wire onto the pod’s circuit board. Then ran the wire the same rote as the Speedo cable to the engine bay, and clipped on to the coil's wire with a blue squash clip thingy.
695706.jpg

Refit the 4 plugs and the Speedo cable, replace the 2 Bolts and your done.

The thing I took longest over was cleaning the newer dials and matching the mileage to the car.

Good Luck and just ask if you need more help.

Kind Regards,

Excellent, thank you very much Louie.

Is there any particular type of signal I should be expecting from the coil? So for example if I use a multi meter on the end of it what should the display roughly be doing in its reading?

If anyone finds SX clocks for sale then please tell me.

The top 3 order now is:

1) O ring gasket oil leak fix (just waiting for the part - it's on order).
2) Rust! - probably sand down the current ones (so far looks only like surface rust), take carpet out and waxoil areas.
3) SX clocks - just for the rev counter! However, I'll buy the unit as soon as it comes along.

P.S. How do I give rep again?

Last edited:
Hi All,

ts86 said:
Is there any particular type of signal I should be expecting from the coil? So for example if I use a multi meter on the end of it what should the display roughly be doing in its reading?
Sorry fellow – I didn’t check the voltage – I presume it will be an AC of fast changing DC signal, which will be too fast for a standard voltmeter. TBH after Chas checked his non IE 999 Uno at 1 AM for us and told me it was the green wire (Carb coil with spade connectors) I guessed it was the same for plug conector coil. – Lucky this was correct :eek:
ts86 said:
P.S. How do I give rep again?
;) see this sticky thread https://www.fiatforum.com/showthread.php?t=28899

As I’m a moderator here rep doesn’t really apply but feel free to nominate anyone else:)

BTW the Perspex screen on the SX clock was scratched, so I drilled a hole for the Odometer reset in the Base screen.

Check all the bulbs work before you screw in – nick spares from the base clocks ;)

Kind Regards,

Well I finally got round to fixing my rev-counter! I bought an autoguage rev-counter!! It works just fine with just the right amount of damping!! With my typical driving style I rarely go over 3000rpm and max I have got it to is 5500rpm. Compared to my dad's Pug 206 the car does not seem to be free revving. At 3000rpm it sounds harsh whereas my dad's 206 can hardly be heard. I know what ur thinking...that the 206 is more modern....(mine is 97 model) but I think it sounds too harsh for 3000rpm! I'll take a vid one time and if someone is interested in hosting it for me I will send it to him!!

Please tell me what you think of what I have done. Thanks

Attachments

• rev1.jpg
    rev1.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 88
  • rev2.jpg
    rev2.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 129
  • rev3.jpg
    rev3.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 328
  • rev4.jpg
    rev4.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 58
It's cool looking dude (y) i Have the same dials prepared to put them in. well .. i modified them a little :)

Well I am from malta and I got it from my local auto shop. It costs me a total of 50Euro. That includes the rev counter and the holder/cup! Glad u like it...I still have yet to sort the colour changing switch!! Will take some pics at night to show u how it lights

What engine do you have..?? Because i fitted mine with a SX dashboard (revcounter/km/etc..) for 10 euro on the junkyard here..

I can rev up to my redline: 6600RPM +/-.. couple a times touched the 7.000RPM.. So i think you rev meter isn't correct..??

Nevermind.. 4 years old post..

Back