Technical Any Twin Air 141A projects planned. ?

Currently reading:
Technical Any Twin Air 141A projects planned. ?

:yeahthat:

If I didn't already have too many projects on the go I would give it a try. Could be an amazing car and would be very interesting to see how it does on fuel economy too. Would it be better or worse than the new panda? Lighter car but shaped like a brick! :eek:

:devil:

:yeahthat:

If I didn't already have too many projects on the go I would give it a try. Could be an amazing car and would be very interesting to see how it does on fuel economy too. Would it be better or worse than the new panda? Lighter car but shaped like a brick! :eek:

:devil:

I reckon your new X-reg needs one :yum:

Hmmm that could be controversial...:eek: (unlike me I know) Also by the time I get round working on the X-reg, someone will have done this already :eek: Unless I manage to get it MOT'd this year. Still planning to sell it as a rolling restoration really but them plans do change :eek:

Si

I guess I like the idea of oldest Panda meets latest twin air technology. In a way the twin air harks back to the original Panda 30 but much less asthmatic.

This conversion would mostly be about skirting around modern electrical gubbins to get the thing to run. :rolleyes:

That was my main concern...I have a bad history with electrics :eek: Probably why I like the classic panda so much I suppose; only got 2 wires for on and off :p

But yeah Kris, this would be best done with a Panda 30 really; damn it though the more I think about it the more cool it sounds; could be an "eco racer" :devil:

That was my main concern...I have a bad history with electrics :eek: Probably why I like the classic panda so much I suppose; only got 2 wires for on and off :p

But yeah Kris, this would be best done with a Panda 30 really; damn it though the more I think about it the more cool it sounds; could be an "eco racer" :devil:

One eco racer. :)

Attachments

• Panda 30.jpg
    Panda 30.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 49
TwinAir in the Panda is the same work as my 1.4 16v car. Uses same gearbox, so apart from an engine mount fabrication, it will drop in quite easily. Just a case of using the wiring diagrams to make it fire up then. I thought about it and considered it as a replacement for my Panda, until I eventually decided on an Uno T-Jet. Ultimately, it would give little or no performance benefit as opposed the 1.4 and perhaps not a huge amount more economy for what is still an expensive and difficult to find engine. I don't think the engine is light enough that it would make any appreciable difference to handling. It would be more interesting though.

TwinAir in the Panda is the same work as my 1.4 16v car. Uses same gearbox, so apart from an engine mount fabrication, it will drop in quite easily. Just a case of using the wiring diagrams to make it fire up then. I thought about it and considered it as a replacement for my Panda, until I eventually decided on an Uno T-Jet. Ultimately, it would give little or no performance benefit as opposed the 1.4 and perhaps not a huge amount more economy for what is still an expensive and difficult to find engine. I don't think the engine is light enough that it would make any appreciable difference to handling. It would be more interesting though.

Howdy, nothing like a good engine swap conversation to grab your attention. :devil: Hope you are well, this year I'll be running the Marbella in it's first hillclimb or sprint so will let you know when that is if you'd like to observe/join in!

Anyway back on topic, sounds promisingly easy to physically mount the engine then. I have to admit I had in my head the engine being tiny and much lighter but not really done much investigation at this stage :eek:

I think I have enough on my plate at the moment though so no idea if it would get done and I am still not sure about using a mk1.

Si

I remember when the FPT website existed, it said a turbo TwinAir was the same weight as a 16v FIRE when you factor the stuff that goes with a turbo. On it's own it basically weighs the same (to the Kilo) as a 8v 1.2 FIRE.

I've PM'd you.

Still could be interesting when/if the electrical side of things could be tackled.

engine prices have dropped significantly - due to supply;)

we had a new member who was looking at using the uniair injection in a single cylinder race engine project ( sidecarcross)

so a basic plug and play cannot be too far away ,

interesting what lewey said about the weight being the same as a 1242 - 8 Valve

Charlie

i wouldn't worry too much about the electric side of things tbh, it would only be hard if you really really wanted to use the factory ecu cause it will be canbus and throw a wobbly if all the different body ecus aren't connected and will need fly-by-wire pedal. Sure there is plenty of aftermarket ecus that could run the engine, and to run an engine, even a modern injected one, you don't really need that many wires. Would need to get a throttle body with a cable fit but that could be done with just an adaptor plate..
I still have not been in a car with a twin-air so i don't really have a strong opinion on whether this is a good or a bad idea.. I still really want to drop panda cross 1.3mjet in a classic 4x4 myself - maybe one day.

i wouldn't worry too much about the electric side of things tbh, it would only be hard if you really really wanted to use the factory ecu cause it will be canbus and throw a wobbly if all the different body ecus aren't connected and will need fly-by-wire pedal. Sure there is plenty of aftermarket ecus that could run the engine, and to run an engine, even a modern injected one, you don't really need that many wires. Would need to get a throttle body with a cable fit but that could be done with just an adaptor plate..
I still have not been in a car with a twin-air so i don't really have a strong opinion on whether this is a good or a bad idea.. I still really want to drop panda cross 1.3mjet in a classic 4x4 myself - maybe one day.

A remapped 85 TwinAir Turbo have ± 103 hp and 170+ Nm of torque, i think it will make a Panda 141A a lot of fun to drive.

Back