bit of advice what to do next about crash

Currently reading:
bit of advice what to do next about crash

hi all, seen great advice given on similar situations on here so i guess it's my turn..

basically, on 12/12/12 when we had that bit of snow in the NE a neighbor a few doors up came home from work, slid down the street and bumped into the girlfriends car, she had rightly turned the wheels to the curb meaning instead of sliding down the street it mounted the curb and stopped on a wall.

not a great deal of damage, he asked if we'd cut out the insurers and get a few quotes so we got some quotes, the best being £325 at a garage i know does good work.

he's wanting me to go to a friends garage miles away now and wont have the money to cover anything until next week when he gets paid.

all i want is the money to cover the work at a garage i know and does good work and is also handy for me.

i'm worried he's going to try and wriggle out of paying or be funny about me not going to his mates garage, i'm being more than fair waiting this long to have it sorted i reckon asking me to faff on going across town to another garage to see if he can get it done cheaper is a bit of a cheek!

any advice on what i should do next? i have lots of pictures and 1 possibly 2 witnesses that know what happened, the police did stop as they drove past to see what happened but i dont think they logged anything.

if i had went through the insurers the GF would have got the car picked up from our door in return for a courtesy car whilst it was sorted.

i'm worried if it's left too long and he hasn't paid to sort it, it will be too late to go through insurance.

what dya think? thanks for reading!

Last edited:
So he's causing 2 issues from what I read, 1 not wanting to use your mates garage and only his, 2 now able to stump up until his payday.

I'd tell him its insurance or your garage (his choice), regarding payment, if you're able to I'd wait until he can pay and then get repair done. If not willing to wait then it's a case of getting it done, but risk him not paying, or going through insurance.

So he's causing 2 issues from what I read, 1 not wanting to use your mates garage and only his, 2 now able to stump up until his payday.

I'd tell him its insurance or your garage (his choice), regarding payment, if you're able to I'd wait until he can pay and then get repair done. If not willing to wait then it's a case of getting it done, but risk him not paying, or going through insurance.

cheers for the reply mate, i'm not being unreasonable am i?

the car is driveable so it's not urgent, it's just obviously i'd rather it was sorted and 1 less thing to worry about.

cheers for the reply mate, i'm not being unreasonable am i?

the car is driveable so it's not urgent, it's just obviously i'd rather it was sorted and 1 less thing to worry about.

I'd have said you're being very reasonable tbh. Like you say, just a matter of making sure he doesn't try and take the pee.

I'd have said you're being very reasonable tbh. Like you say, just a matter of making sure he doesn't try and take the pee.

yeah exactly, i don't want to go ahead and demand we go through the insurance before i know he isn't willing to pay up because that might make him be as awkward as he can be and cause him to try and avoid paying at all costs.

i spoke to him face to face earlier when he suggested the other place and didn't say much about it, after thinking about it i texted him explaining i wanted it done at my garage but he hasn't replied, i wish i had just told him there and then.

is there time limits and stuff with this sort of things as far as notifying insurance and stuff? all have is his reg. no.

Last edited:
you think?

so what do i do next if i'm to go through the insurance?

If going through insurance easiest thing to do is just call you gf's and they'll do all the leg work. However I always go direct to 3rd party insurance co, as your always in control then, but it can take slightly long if they arse about.

If going through insurance easiest thing to do is just call you gf's and they'll do all the leg work. However I always go direct to 3rd party insurance co, as your always in control then, but it can take slightly long if they arse about.

i don't have his ins. details yet as i know he doesn't want to go through them so hasn't gave me his details.

i'll give him until dinner time tomorow to reply, if he doesn't i'll ask him again if he's going to pay up next week for the £325 if not i'll go through insurance.

i know what insurance are like though if she goes through hers come renewal wont they try and hike the price up even though it's not going through hers? even though someone crashed into her parked car, and yes i know i should tell them anyway but out of principle i refuse to give them a way to do something that should be illegal.

Claims Solutions companies are not the same as solicitors, good ones will find you a good solicitor if you need one

i've heard the ad for these and apparantly if you have a bump you should ring them first, we weren't in the car so no personal injury claim but i still think they'd sort it out and take such jobs on.

i really don't need this atm :( i spent a few hours on my day off getting quotes for him, now he expects me to waste another morning trapsing across town for his mate to look at it to see if he can get it done cheaper, total p take.

if i rang up our insurance tommorow and he denies it the whole thing could drag on for months, i want it done asap for the obvious reasons and that we wont be living there much longer.

Last edited:
i guess i could argue if it's his mate things that were damaged could be hidden to save him money, the place i got a quote from is impartial.

i've seen some pretty iffy colour matches and spray jobs and the one i got a quote from does great work, he agreed to fix a small rust patch up too in with the price by way of compensation for my trouble!

hardley asking the world, i've been cool about not going through insurance and been patient waiting a week for him to get back to me after i posted the quotes through his door.

i'll see what he says tomorow, if he wants to be awkward i'll just say we can go through the insurance, not sure if i should stop by the police to see what they say.. mention an officer came up to see what had happened but didn't log anything as far as i know..

Well I send him a message at 10am and no reply, not sure what to do next!

What I'm hearing is that you've been more than reasonable and the other chap is basically trying to avoid his responsibilities.

I very much hope it won't come to this, but in the worst case, what evidence do you have if he denies any involvement?

I'm all in favour of trying to sort out these type of minor incidents in a way that's cost effective for all concerned, but you also need to protect your own interests in this sort of situation. It's all too easy to end up out of pocket.

Last edited:
Back