1242cc Engines, same block?

Currently reading:
1242cc Engines, same block?

Hey, I was talking to my friend "Zinraf" whilst we were tightening the alternator belt on his bravo 1.2 16v.

I noticed some of the block parts looked similar and that his engine is a 1242cc, which is the same as the punto 60 8v engine in my cinq, are they in essence the same block? And if so would it be possible to do a 8v/16v head conversion?

I am guessing it is not otherwise other people would do it, but you never know!

:)

Wasn't it a fairly common mod to put the cam from the 75sx on the 60s engine? tbh its not something I have experience of but seem to remember a few people on here doing it to their mk1 puntos and getting gains. Might be something to look into before you rip its' guts out.

Edit: Looking into it a bit it depends what year your engine is if it is from before halfway through 98 apparently fitting an 866 cam would give about 5 horses...if its from after then you should have one already

Last edited:
The gains are not huge -- by far the best increase I had in power from a 1242 SPI car was from a 40mm TB and a ported Uno 45 inlet mani -- but worth having. It all adds up. In my case further experimentation was cut short by some berk in a Clio.

A P75 cam will have "866" cast into it, on one of the unmachined bits. I think there's a picture somewhere.

Sorry to bring up an old, Just out of interest, Is the 1242 8v MPI engine in the grande punto (like the one I have) the same block as my cinq then? as in non interferance? If so I would feel much more confident in doing the cam belt myself :)

hi.sorry if its already been covered but does anyone know whether a 1.2 head from a punto elx will fit onto a 1.1 block from a cinq sporting? or what difference a 75bhp cam would do to a 1.1? is the head the only difference on these engines?
has anyone put a sportex exhaust manifold onto a 1.2 head and managed to make it fit into a cinq? the head from the elx is a mpi.
thanks. jonathan.

The head will fit, but you need to do a lot of work to get the SPI ecu (and etc.) to run MPI.

Frankly, it's not worth the effort.

Lots of folks have fitted the P75 cam to the Cinq head.

Do Sportex make a manifold for the FIRE engines? A manifold made for the 1.2 will be longer than one made for the 1.1 -- in theory, at least, unless they're really the same manifold.

Best posted in the correct Cinquecento/Seicento section.

i seem to remember asking about a manifold on ebay and them saying it wouldnt fit into a cinq because the rad got in the way.
do you happen to know if the mpi on the elx is inlet manifold bolted or cylinder head bolted?does the 1.2 elx head have bigger valves?

Back