Technical "airbag failure", honk and audio controls not working

Currently reading:
Technical "airbag failure", honk and audio controls not working

Iyad

Hello All,
My Grande Punto (17000 KM) started giving me "airbag failure" message about a month ago. Later, the audio controls on the steering wheels stopped working. A week after that, the honk stopped working - it works sometimes though. Fiat dealer and garage is out of business here in Damascus due to the war. I managed to get in touch with a mechanic who used to work for them and I had him run a diagnostic. After checking the sensors under the seats, he said there is a part in the steering wheel that connects the airbag, honk and audio controls that needs to be replaced. I could not find such part in the market here. Another mechanic, who is not Italian cars expert, claimed he'd fixed a similar fault with a Bravo by drilling two holes in the steering wheel and fixing the part without replacing it (don't know why he wants to drill two holes to pull out the part). He didn't seem so confident and he would charge me a lot of money just for trying. He says if he couldn't get it fixed, I would need to replace the whole steering system which would cost 30% of what's the whole car is worth in market :cry:
Should I trust this guy since I don't have a lot of options? Please help.

Welcome to FF.

You need a replacement clock spring by the sounds of it. Usually part of the indicator/wiper stalks and takes about 30min to fit.

Here are some on ebay (y)

Ideally you should always get new as they have a securing tab in place to make sure the clock spring doesn't turn out of alignment, so this one would be best assume part numbers match;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-F...M&fits=Model:Grande+Punto&hash=item19d777bb03

Or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-Gran...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a7bcc16a4

But there is a bargain used one here :)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/grande-pu...M&fits=Model:Grande+Punto&hash=item1c2e52495c

Hope this helps :)

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Thank you very much. I think this is the part I am looking for. I also have cruise control stalk but I don't see it on the pics, is that a separate stalk? Just want to make sure before I buy one.

Thank you very much. I think this is the part I am looking for. I also have cruise control stalk but I don't see it on the pics, is that a separate stalk? Just want to make sure before I buy one.

I'm not sure about the cruise control. Don't think it was available on UK GPs, however if like the Stilo and Bravo, then it'll probably unscrew from the old setup and screw into place on the replacement all being well (y) :)

I'm not sure about the cruise control. Don't think it was available on UK GPs, however if like the Stilo and Bravo, then it'll probably unscrew from the old setup and screw into place on the replacement all being well (y) :)

You are awesome, thank you (y)

i had the same problem. for this part i had to pay about 150 euros but my electrician charged me 40 euros! (unbelievable)

Last edited:
Back