General downloads corrupted?

Currently reading:
General downloads corrupted?

Specifically the strangely named Seicento Handbook 07.pdf and seicento owners manual.pdf.

On my system I get an error message after both of these are downloaded that the files are damaged.

More tellingly, if I change the filename to *.htm I get a valid html page with that really annoying 500 going back and forth and
You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
You are not logged in. Fill in the form at the bottom of this page and try again.
You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Of course, I am logged in.........................

And, at 27.5 KB, both files are substantially smaller than you expect -- maybe 50MB +.

I'd post this on the correct errors page, but no-one seems to bother to look at that!

Just downloaded the Seicento owners manual from here and it opened up fine. Should be 2.1meg.

Thanks for looking, everyone.

I'm puzzled. Must be nearly 20 years since I did anything with javascript. I remember then noting that there were some issues of non-interoperability between browsers, in that code for one wouldn't always work as planned on another -- in those days we had IE and Netscape, which dates it a bit!

This box runs Debian Linux (Squeeze), fully patched and updated, with Iceweasel (Mozilla) 3.5.16.

Connection is the fastest Virgin offer -- on a good day I really can download a film in about half the time it'd take to watch it. It's very rare indeed to get corruption of any kind and that's limited to P2P stuff -- invariably my client picks it up.

The fact that I can see valid html simply by changing a file suffix (experienced Windows users might try this -- it should result in you seeing binary gibberish) suggests that somehow I'm being pointed to the wrong place.

Of course, if there is indeed a permissions error, it might explain why I've not been able to upload pictures for the last couple of years, eh Ben?

I'll pop a link on the computing section, see if anyone has any insights.

Well I don't know if it helps but I just tried it in Windows 8 and Internet Explorer 10 and the PDF viewer said it couldn't open it...

Edit:- If I saved the file to my desktop and opened it in Adobe Acrobat Reader it worked. Seems like the PDF doesn't quite meet open standards.

Have you tried right clicking the download button and "Open in a New Tab" or "Open in a New Window" or what ever option you get in Firefox?

Last edited:
Specifically the strangely named Seicento Handbook 07.pdf and seicento owners manual.pdf.

On my system I get an error message after both of these are downloaded that the files are damaged.

More tellingly, if I change the filename to *.htm I get a valid html page with that really annoying 500 going back and forth and

Of course, I am logged in.........................

And, at 27.5 KB, both files are substantially smaller than you expect -- maybe 50MB +.

I'd post this on the correct errors page, but no-one seems to bother to look at that!
Hmm, that does seem like something else. I just looked at your account - nothing strange about it. Erm - can you PM me your password so I can log in as you and test some things :)

Well I don't know if it helps but I just tried it in Windows 8 and Internet Explorer 10 and the PDF viewer said it couldn't open it...

Edit:- If I saved the file to my desktop and opened it in Adobe Acrobat Reader it worked. Seems like the PDF doesn't quite meet open standards.

Have you tried right clicking the download button and "Open in a New Tab" or "Open in a New Window" or what ever option you get in Firefox?

Tried that, but I'll try downloading Acrobat and see if that'll handle it.

Tried that. Acrobat recons it's corrupt, too. Acroread version 9.5.1

Last edited:
Like I say, it's sorted. The plug-in is very common on Mozilla set ups and I've yet to see it create issues elsewhere.

That nice Mr.Gates doesn't make an IE for Linux. That used to operate in Microsoft's favour, but not anymore!

Chrome I don't like.

It's at least arguable that Mozilla is the best browser out there (Safari -- Apple -- is essentially Konqueror -- Open Source -- with a very pretty, but proprietary -- front end tacked on, and, again, isn't available for Linux) and using closed source software only encourages the Microsofts and Apples of the world to steal from you.

Back