Styling replacement bulb's for illuminating dash dials???

Currently reading:
Styling replacement bulb's for illuminating dash dials???

Sando

Established member
Does anyone know where I can buy replacement bulb's that illuminate the dials? I'm haveing real trouble sourcing some. Are all the bulbs the same size that illuminate the clock, heater controls, speedo, tacho etc...?

Do you think if I paint them with blue bulb tint it will give the same effect as blue bulbs?

My idea is to have blue bulbs throughout and then have the tacho, temp and petrol lights in red. What do you think? Or have blue throughout and a red speedo?

they easy to get at? Id like some new bulbs, to get the VW look. Blue and red looks great for the dash.

joe

Seicento Sporting 2000 X
Black
Black Front and Side Indicaters
Pioneer DCEH8400 HeadUnit + JBL speakers 6x9 in parcel shelf, 10cm in front, 10" Sub and GTO4000 AMP(600Watt).
Abarth badges all round from abarthbadges.co.uk

unsure. Painting the bulbs would be fine BUT, i think the back of the dials are coloured cos i've got white bulbs in mine but the numbsers on tacho and speedo show green. So we might have a problem with the colours clashing and giving an undesired effect. Don't know if the lockwood dials are the same? Cos i fancied having the dials go from blue at one end and fade into green at the other.

Is adrenaline brown?

THe colour on the dials is because the bulbs shine through coloured plastic, the bulbs actually emit white light but shine through opagque green plastic- hence the colour green.

Painting the bulbs will only make the green light darker and harder to read...trust me i've tried.

Arse

1993 Cinq SX, with the world's dodgiest fuel tank! Free fuel? Folllow Me!!

Dump. I had just given up on buying bulbs (saw them for £2 a pair!) and was going to buy bulb paint for a fiver. Looks like I'll just have to get used to green. arse.

I quite like the idea off seeing if i can strip off the green sh**e and replace it with some perspex or something

<blockquote id="quote"> face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by syphon123
to get the VW look. Blue and red looks great for the dash.[/br]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Cuz VeeDub dashes are so sexy.............if Fiat just got the picture.

Arse

Yike!

The problem with the dials is that they are made from a clear plastic, with black paint on them with spaces for the numbers and markings. The spaces are then covered over with layers of white then green paint for the iullumination colour. Lockwoods are the same, without the white layer.

What you suggest is possible, but you have to be able to take the green paint off without touching the black paint underneath - really rather tricky indeed!

Pete.
Cinq sporting 1242cc
Cinqs&Seis Yahoo group
Clubcento

something I have seen done is an A4 sheet of acetate ( used for overhead projectors etc) can be run thru a colour laser printer and then cut out to the desired clock shape & size. U just mess about with colours & designs etc on ur pc, but all speed markings etc may have a legal requirement I'm not sure.
Just thought it may be a possible alternative.

regards.....cj

i tinted the clock in my red cinq sporting by opening the clock taking out a small piece of green plastic and inserting a red piece of window tinting film. looks great. but the bulbs behind the push switches are acctually green small led type bulbs. i need some red ones.

any one heard of led dash neon bulbs? u can get em off ebay for bout 15 squid for 5! they b bright enuf to cancel out any green plastic!!!!

whos ur daddy!???

<blockquote id="quote"> face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by cjboss
something I have seen done is an A4 sheet of acetate ( used for overhead projectors etc) can be run thru a colour laser printer and then cut out to the desired clock shape & size. U just mess about with colours & designs etc on ur pc, but all speed markings etc may have a legal requirement I'm not sure.
Just thought it may be a possible alternative.

regards.....cj
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Scan the dials using computer, print on Acetate, (if the printer can handle it, might go bit funny with inkjets - i'll try it with college laser when i get my car :p, then the speed markings will be the same as they're scanned, possibility :D

I want a cinquecento :'(

Its a long shot but....

Remove the console bulbs in the speedo, tacho, temp and fuel and use those LED beamer things instead. Wont give the same effect but would glow whatever colour you want. You could hook the LEDs up to the light stalk to work when yyou had the lights on. Paint the dial surround matt black so it doesnt reflect and get white dials.

My mate had a Nova and the bulbs went so he used this method, looked pretty cool with white dials.

Matt
-------------------------

"There goes David Brent...I must remember to thank him"

go to a scrap yard and borrow some form the same car as you! put them in you pocket tho so you dont have to pay form them ;)

gotta love the uno's

Back