General Punto Twinair MPG

Currently reading:
General Punto Twinair MPG

Hi everyone,

Sorry another boring thread about MPG :).

I've just passed the 1000 mile mark on my 62 plate Punto TwinAir. Getting about 37 MPG for urban driving.

I'm sure my return on the motorway is terrible though. The Trip computer quotes less than 40. Having a 200 mile journey in a couple of days and will post results.

Any other Twinairs out there? What are your MPGs like?

Ive averaged 37mpg in a mixture of urban and motorway driving in my Punto evo sporting for 1400 miles and thats with a few 130mph flatouts! you need to work on your economical driving.

I do about 250 miles a week in my Sporting, including urban, rural and motorway driving and easily sail past the 45mpg mark. (Sometimes 50 mpg if I'm feeling careful!)

Just change those gears as early as possible and keep it smooth :)

Attachments

• IMG-20120717-00384.jpg
    IMG-20120717-00384.jpg
    659.6 KB · Views: 91
My Sporting also averages 38mpg with some fun driving thrown in. I guess that twin is working hard to haul that much car around and drinking more in the process.

I have a 1.4 12 plate Easy with 3k on and it's averaging 47.9mpg.

I know the twinair is two cyl short of mine but I would expect a similar overall mpg as it is a more modern design engine.

i getting 37mpg with little or no motorway/dual carriage way use 1.4 8v 77hp is that good?

There's not really a way of telling if that's good without someone else doing the same journey. Before I got the Sporting, I had the 1.4 77hp and averaged 42-45mpg quite easily, but did have some rural driving.

If you do a lot of urban/town driving, then you'll struggle to get over 40. Was driving around Guildford today in my Sporting and average 32mpg. Just depends on how often you're stopping and accelerating. Could turn out that 37mpg is quite economical for the journey's you're doing!

Just wondering how people are calculating their mpg figures. If some of you are just going off the dash readout that probably isn't going to give an accurate figure.

If I'm teaching me granny to suck eggs here I apologise, but for those who may not know, a practical way of getting a reasonably accurate figure is to fill up, zero the trip meter then at the next fill up make a note of the amount of fuel and the mileage. Multiply the number of litres by 0.22 and that will convert it to Imperial gallons. Then just divide the mileage by the number of gallons.

For example: (approximately) If you travel 356 miles and fill up with 37 litres of fuel, simply put,

37 litres X 0.22 = 8.14 gallons. 356 / 8.14 = 43.73 mpg.

My Panda MJ usually shows something like 55 mpg on the trip computer but typically undereads by 5 -10% so I'm actually getting around 57.5 - 60.5 mpg.

Different cars I know but I recently had a Mk6 Golf Tdi which on a cross country route through North and Mid Wales then back through Shropshire and Cheshire to Manc Land showed 65 mpg on the dash display which, on filling up was actually 55!

Similarly, an Alfa Giulietta 2.0 170hp diesel showed 52 on the trip meter but actually returned 54mpg.

As I'm thinking of replacing the Panda MJ with a new Twin Air next year I spoke to a chap today who bought one a couple of months ago and he's averaging just south of 60 to the gallon. I mentioned that some of the magazine road tests had said that if you have a Twin Air you'll be enthusiastic in your driving style and the fuel consumption will suffer. Well, obviously if you thrash the knackers out of it then you're going to use more fuel but he said that he didn't pay much attention to how he drove and still go high 50s to the gallon, which is what I get from the MJ while being really anal about it.

Guess things have moved on.

Thinking about driving styles, most cars with a 5 speed 'box, petrol or diesel, have one thing in common and that is that if you change up at 2,000 revs in 1st you're doing 10mph, if you change up at 2,000 in 2nd it's 20mph and 2,000 in third will bring 30, just in time for 4th.

I can't speak about the Twin Air but most Turbo diesels, and most petrol cars I've driven in the last 10-15 years have had if not the same same gearing, then pretty much the same end result; 2,000 revs equals a 10 mph increase in speed.

In the case of Turbo Diesels most of them now have the start of their peak torque at around 1,800 rpm although I'm not sure where the Twin Air's peak torque lies.

I'd be interested to know how the Twin Air responds to change ups at 2,000 in terms of fuel consumption or if the performance is a bit flat

Hi, sorry for slow response, like I said I was away for the weekend.

I'm driving fairly economically, not the best in the world, but not badly (changing before the Shift sign tells me to).

Did about 250 miles, and averaged about 46 MPG. Not great tbh. Especially as about 200 of that was in 6th with ECO on sat at 70mph.

Is it just wishful thinking or will this improve as the engine breaks in? Its only 1200 miles, so for a brand new engine thats quite young?!

Lets be honest, the Twinair was never going to get the stats they said (i.e 97 MPG on motorway) but surely it should match others?

Thanks for all your responses.
Jamie

Averaging 47mpg (6 l/100km) quite easily with my 1.4 77 Punto 2012. And my region is not flat, a little moutain in Switzerland :) and I often do small trips (less then 10km)

My best is about 50mpg, with a little care (but it is hard for me not to rev a little my small 1.4) on longer trips.

You should do better with the Twinair.
If you do small trips in winter, fuel economy would be a little lower...

My twin air is just over 2000 miles and hovers around the 35 mpg around town and the best i've seen on a run is 42-44 mpg.
I've been speaking with Fiat who say it won't get much better unless you go every where in ECO mode or in normal mode stay off boost.

My wife's 1.4 GP multiair is in the low 40's around town

Last edited:
The Panda we have prepared for the attempt on the non-stop drive from Cape Town back to London (going for the World Record - see www.africarecordrun.com ) had a similar problem - the economy was disappointing to start with. We did a long period of slow running-in (not on synthetic oil) to help the piston rings bed in honing the bores, etc, and while some said "thats not necessary - its not an old Mini!" it made a difference. The engine certainly loosens up after 2,000 miles, its now 2,600 on the clock and runs really sweetly, with better mpg figures. You might find things are different after an oil change.

The Twin Air is such a grin to drive, you cant help but use it enthusiastically, and yes driving style is the key to it all - the turbo is spooled up working hard when you accelerate and that kills mpg. (but such fun!). The Panda Twin Air is a full of character fun drive - in a sea of blandness (go compare with a Hyundai), its a great car.

Is it just me or does anyone else think that they have been miss sold this new Twinair engine by Fiat?

I have just passed the 6000 miles mark in mine and drive on the motorways mostly and the vehicle was sold to me to do between 60 - 70 mpg. I am currently getting the low 40s and that is sat at 65/70mph with the ECO button on.
I part exchanged a 2litre diesel Focus for the Twinair which did about 50mpg on the same journey. (wish i never bothered)

I have been in touch with Fiat about this and currently dealing with Trading Standards about it all as i believe Fiat and any other manufactures for that matter shouldn't advertise an mpg like this. Fiat state that they test drive one vehicle in "perfect" conditions ie road/weather etc and then they get this wonderful mpg that us users are never going to achieve even more so in the UK with our wonderful pothole free roads.

Just wondering how many others are in this situation and agree that they feel ripped off??

Back