Technical NAV connect issues

Currently reading:
Technical NAV connect issues

sullivjp1

Hello again. I cannot seem to get my NAV to work. I read through all the threads I could find about fixing this and am having no luck.

Everything seems to be in working condition but the screen just shows the arrow and no map. It just looks like I am in the middle of the ocean. It shows some random lat longs but that is about it.

The previous owner said everything was working fine for him until he took the antenna off the top of the car and ran it through the car wash. when he put the antenna back on the car everything was working but the NAV would no longer provide directions or give a map picture.

I have done the manual resets both when the engine is on and off. The screen just goes black and comes back on again. I have looked through the hidden service menu and everything is in green, except the sim card because I do not have one.

Any other suggestions?

I live in Germany and have all the Europe maps. Like I said the previous owner said the system worked two weeks ago before he took it through the car wash.

I am wondering if him taking the antenna off may have done something to the connection.

The aerial is designed to be removable. The previous owner may have damaged the mounting base whils removing/refitting the aerial. Check for marks on the roof around the mounting.

Is it a Connect Nav, or a Connect Nav+? The former is only designed to show arrow direction symbols, not pictorial mapping.

If it's a Connect Nav+, it can be changed to show either arrows or pictorial mapping via the "SETUP" menu.

If it's the basic Connect Nav, it doesn't show pictorial maps. Strange that the previous owner said it did though.

Was your unit original factory fitted? or was it retro fitted by a previous owner?

Post a picture to include the screen showing the direction arrow.

I've heard that there's also a very basic Connect version too, but I've never seen one of those in the UK.

Below are pictures of a Connect Nav that only shows arrows, and the CN+ with multi colour pictorial mapping.

Attachments

• Stilo Connect Nav.gif
    Stilo Connect Nav.gif
    31.2 KB · Views: 127
  • CN Mono.jpg
    CN Mono.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
OK I definitely have the connect+ with the color mapping.

It is factory fitted.

I will post a pic later tonight when I have a chance. Thanks for you help so far!

Here are the pictures of my system and the different menus.

Attachments

• 20121003_201813.jpg
    20121003_201813.jpg
    471.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 20121003_201825.jpg
    20121003_201825.jpg
    569.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 20121003_201902.jpg
    20121003_201902.jpg
    558.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 20121003_201912.jpg
    20121003_201912.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 42
  • 20121003_201927.jpg
    20121003_201927.jpg
    544.6 KB · Views: 13
last picture.

Any help or insight will be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20121003_201946.jpg
    20121003_201946.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 23
Only time I've seen the red arrow on a blank background is if I have the wrong disc in the CN+, i.e. if I have a France disc in while I'm (the car) in the UK.

Assume you know that the map for Germany is divided over 2 discs, Germany North and Germany South. Could you have the wrong one for your location in the CN+?

You've not said anything about getting a "CD ERROR" when inserting a map disc so I would assume the map data on your discs is OK.

Only other thing I can guess at, is that the SatNav module within the CN+ isn't interpreting the data correctly to display the map. Unfortunately the modules are not available seperately. There's a company in Germany that repairs CN+ units here: http://www.pavlek.de/fiat/index.htm

Alternatively, it may be less expensive to get a replacement unit from eBay. They sell for between £100 and £200 (GBP) in the UK.

Last edited:
I just think it is weird that i worked a few weeks ago and stopped when he messed with the antenna on the top of the car. I will try and mess with the antenna and see if I can get it working again.
Thanks again

Does seen a strange coincidence. The aerial rod just screws onto it's mounting base by hand. The mounting base is fixed to the roof by a single nut inside the roof. Only way I can see that the previous owner could have damaged it, is if he turned the aerial so much that it also turned the mounting base and broke one of the wires below it. That's why I suggested in post #4 above, that you look for marks on the roof . Also, if the wiring had been damaged, your diagnostic wouldn't be showing "GPS Antenna OK" as in your post #8 above.

Just checked mine with the GPS aerial (grey plug) disconnected from the CN+. It still shows accurate Longitude/Latitude coordinates and current location mapping whilst stationary.

While driving the car with the GPS aerial disconected, it still updates the coordinates and map location, from data received via the CAN network, from the wheel speed sensors and steering angle sensors, but the displayed information is not so accurate.

My money's still on your SatNav module.

mine showed exactly the problem above when it had no gps antena attached to the unit. just showed 0,0,0 lat 0,0,0 long and slowely rotated the arrow.

check the connections throughout the arieal

When I bought my car I had a similar problem with the sat nav, just like that, an arrow in the middle of nowhere. I had to replace the antena. If the arrow shows in the monitor and evrything else is ok, change the antena.

Back