Technical "Automatic Transmission Warning Light?"

Currently reading:
Technical "Automatic Transmission Warning Light?"

tomrw

car noob
I have a W Reg 1.2l Speedgear punto which I've spoken about before. Normally when I'm in traffic I shift from Drive to Neutral so theres no stress on the car.

Anyway the 'LCD' screen didn't show that the transmission was in "D" or "N" so when I shifted back into drive this warning light was flashing on the bottom left hand side of the dash. It sorta looks like a car boot which Ive googled and it seems to be 'Automatic Transmission Failure' warning light.

The car however, is still moving. I turned the engine off, and restarted it and it still appeared. When I got home I shifted into every option and the light disappeared just like that. Obviously it could have been an earthing fault (so i've read) maybe I'm not sure and I'm not 'that' technical but the car seems to be running fine.

Does anyone have an idea what this could be?

Also I have FES but which cable do I need to be able to read the fault code for it? I only have the cable to proxy align /edit odometer.

Thanks!

if its the eartt fault you should hear the gate clicking on gear leaver when braking

You might also get the gearbox 'beeping' when you brake... -- which is what happened to me.... Ziggy122's suggestion of cleaning the terminals on your rear lights is a good first step... -- it certainly cured mine... (and you'd be amazed how much crud can collect in there...)! :cool:

Cheers for the replies guys.

Where abouts exactly are these connectors etc?
What do I use to clean them? Connector cleaner from halfords or wherever?

Got in the car this morning and the light came back on again but went off when i did the same thing.

When I put my foot on the brake I did hear the clicking but no 'beeping'?

Where abouts exactly are these connectors etc?
What do I use to clean them? Connector cleaner from halfords or wherever?

You need to take off the rear light clusters... -- particularly the one with the reversing light (on the nearside, on my Punto...). The (rather strangely-shaped) 'nuts' for this are:

1. in the boot (behind the lining -- there should be a cut-out: but you will also need to remove the factory-fitted subwoofer, if you have one...); and
  2. on the rear pillar (there's a 'flap' in the plastic -- near to the seatbelt mounting point -- which you need to remove with a small, flat-bladed screwdriver).
[If you have the owner's handbook, it's much better explained in there...! See also these photos, posted by Ziggy122; and this thread....]

These 'nuts' can be removed with either the special tool in the spare-wheel kit in the boot (which should also contain the screwdriver...); or -- if they're tight, as mine were -- start off with the wrench you'd use for the wheel nuts.

The cluster then pulls away from the back of the car (usually with a load of dirt -- which is the cause of the problem; and needs removing...); followed by the wiring. Disconnect this; and it's the terminals on the light that go into this block that are the cause of the clicking (or, in my case, beeping). These need cleaning until they are all nice and shiny...!

I used fine wet-and-dry paper, a Brillo pad, and some WD40. The "small, flat-bladed screwdriver" may also come in useful, when scraping off any oxidization.... (And I should probably have smeared some Vaseline, etc. on them, when putting everything back....)

Hope this helps...! (y)

Back