Technical keycode? antenna? ECU?

Currently reading:
Technical keycode? antenna? ECU?

horia

Hi, I`m from Romania and I have a 1996 Punto 55; I bought it about a month ago. Everything was working fine, except the keycode light that just randomly blinked, as if a wire was loose, but I didn't pay much attention to it. Until a few days ago when it refused to start. After trying several times (20-30) it started again, and all this time the keycode light kept blinking. I repeated this procedure a few times and managed to drive the car back home. Now it doesn`t start anymore no matter how many times I try.

Another funny thing is that my injection pressure indicator stays on (when it used to start, the indicator went off after a few seconds).

Anyway I took the car to my local dealer for a test, and it turned out to be the key (I have only the red key). Ok, I went to a locksmith and he managed to read the key and there was nothing wrong with it. I made a duplicate anyway, but it didn`t start with the new one neither.

So in order for them to do more testing I need the codecard wich of course I don't have. And because the car was brought from Germany in 2001 (by someone else), the local dealer has no records of it, so he can`t get me the code(?!).

After I've done some reading on FF I asked them if maybe the antenna is faulty. They were really pissed because they want to charge me around 700 euros for another ECU. Maybe they are right after all, but I can`t blame me for trying this. Well in 2 days they`ll get me a new antenna and I hope that will fix it, although I doubt it.

Is there any chance that my ECU is faulty? And if so, can I get another ECU and mount it on my car, along with the locks and the code block?

Please help me, I really can't spend 700 euros on this:(

Thanks,
Horia

First I`d like to try to get the imobiliser working (although I'm not very convinced about its benefits) for a reasonable price, and if not your option definately sounds good.

Hmm, whats the ECU on your Punto?

The MW 16F ECU (Punto 55/60 and Cinq 1108/1242) sounds like a bugger for Immobilizer problems- Im analysing the tech. doc. at the moment.

Sounds to me like the Immobilizer ECU isnt allowing the Engine ECU to start the Engine (there are 2 seperate ECUs according to the Fiat document), and the only way I can see of getting it found out is by getting the immobilizer memories looked at (Fiat can do that with their Fiat-Lancia Tester box)

But if the Immobilizer dies,it does bring up both warning lights...

Oh, have you programmed the blue (clone) key into the ECU yet?

arseofbox said:
Hmm, whats the ECU on your Punto?

The MW 16F ECU (Punto 55/60 and Cinq 1108/1242) sounds like a bugger for Immobilizer problems- Im analysing the tech. doc. at the moment.

Sounds to me like the Immobilizer ECU isnt allowing the Engine ECU to start the Engine (there are 2 seperate ECUs according to the Fiat document), and the only way I can see of getting it found out is by getting the immobilizer memories looked at (Fiat can do that with their Fiat-Lancia Tester box)

But if the Immobilizer dies,it does bring up both warning lights...

Oh, have you programmed the blue (clone) key into the ECU yet?

I have no idea waht type my ECU is... I'll have to take a look, but I can't right now, my punto is at the local dealer.

I'm not sure they can test it. According to them they did whatever tests they could, but they can`t go any further because I don`t have the original keycode card.

So there should be two warning lights? The only warning lights that are on are the injection pressure indicator and the keycode indicator (wich is ranomly blinking).

I`m not sure I understant what you mean... If by programming you mean insertng the red key into the ignition and afterwards inserting the blue key to copy the code, no, I didn't. But I made a duplicate of the red key at a locksmith... he copyed the code using some sort of keycode copying device. According to this device both keys are functional.

Starting it with the red key all the time makes the ECU think you want to program extra keys in it.

To program the key in, do this:

Put the red key in,turn to "run". keep it held there until the CODE light goes out.

Remove the key.

Repeat for the blue key.

Reinsert the red key and turn to "Run" to finish the sequence.

Test it by inserting the blue key, turn to On, not Run, check that the CODE light comes on for about 0.5sec.

Well today they brought me a new antenna but this didn`t solve the problem... The new diagnosis was that my immobiliser is broken. So in order to fix it I need a new one and 2 blue keys; if I don`t buy the 2 blue keys they would assume no responsability. They could get me these for 400 euros.

I managed to get from another punto the ecu + the immobiliser + the keys & locks for 150 euros. If this doesn't work I`m really out of ideas.

And I`ve checked and yes, it is a MW 16F:)

Ok just a little info for you all, to program the slave keys in you need a minimum of two slaves and one master key. The key you had cloned was a clone of a master so it was in fact a master key as well, so it cannot be programmed into your system as it shares the same coding as the original master key.

So a clone key is only the key that has been duplicated by running the sequence described by aofb? Interesting... And beside the master key I should have another keycode card wich contains the same information as the master key? Is there any logic in this? It sounds to me as way to many security precautions have been taken and I really doubt their usability.

But what happens if I drive using the master key? I understand it's not very safe, but why? When I use the masterkey I open/close the cloning sequence and I confuse the ecu? It worked just fine for a while...

NumanR said:
Ok just a little info for you all, to program the slave keys in you need a minimum of two slaves and one master key.

Where have you heard that?

The Fiat tech doc Ive just translated (specifically about the 16F) doesnt say anything about any specific number of slave keys. 1 should be sufficient Id think.

Ok I'm stuck. I`ve just changed the ecu, the immobiliser and the keys from another punto and I have the same problem. Now it starts and 10 minutes later it doesn't. Then it starts again. And when it doesn't start the keycode indicator flickers or stays on.

Any ideas?

Now it refuses to start with neither one of these 2 systems... and it`s been sitting at the fiat dealer for 3 days now and they still can`t figure out what's wrong with it... any suggestions are welcome:) thanks

It's been over a month now and they still cant`t find any problem. I've waited over two weeks for another injection relay, but that didn`t solve it neither. They`ve checked every wire and still nothing.

Please help me!!!!

A friend of mine came with a solution, the only solution apparently...

To remove the whole injection, ecu, codebox, etc and replace them with a carburator :( What would imply this? As far as I was told, the fuel consumption would increase with about 1l/100km and I would loose some power... I guess these are ok, but what about the long run? Are there any other side effects?

Finally my punto works! I had to buy a new ecu with no code written, and disable the keycode "feature". Apparently this was the only solution... They still don`t know what the problem was, but it`s been a few days now and it seems to be working fine. Let`s hope it stays this way

horia said:
Finally my punto works! I had to buy a new ecu with no code written, and disable the keycode "feature". Apparently this was the only solution... They still don`t know what the problem was, but it`s been a few days now and it seems to be working fine. Let`s hope it stays this way

So basicly you could also erase the CODE in your older E.C.U. I guess ?

But how did you disabled the keycode feature ? I don't get that...

Please reply ! ;)

Thanks

P.S: The imobilizer code is in the keys and in the E.C.U. right ? Is it anywere else in the Punto also ? Like, if you buy a different E.C.U. with different pair of keys will it work ?

Tecnoboy said:

Please reply ! ;)

Thanks

P.S: The imobilizer code is in the keys and in the E.C.U. right ? Is it anywere else in the Punto also ? Like, if you buy a different E.C.U. with different pair of keys will it work ?

As far as I understood there are some guys that can erase the ECU, but I couldn`t find anyone to do it here in Romania.

I haven`t disabled the keycode feature. I bought a new ECU; and when it`s new it has no code written on. And i left it like this, with no code written, and it works just fine.

Yes, there`s also another component, the imobilizer, which interprets the key`s code, and sends its readings to the ECU. It is under the steering wheel, next to the fuses. It is a black box the size of a cigarette pack.

If you buy a new ECU and an imobilizer you can set them with your current code (so you don`t have to buy a new set of keys and locks) but it`s going to cost you a lot. I paid almost 500euros just for the ECU. Try finding other solutions:)

Tecnoboy said:

Please reply ! ;)

Thanks

you need ecu, code block (near fuse box) locks an keys

Why would I need locks ? One could just make some copies of the red key code, and get keys with the same profile as the original locks,wouldn't you agree ?

Back