General Need a new Bonnet :(

Currently reading:
General Need a new Bonnet :(

calum717

Hi guys, hope you're all well.

So last week a little 18 year old decided to write my punto off by jumping a light, only his second crash in his first year of driving and he hit me with his courtesy car but never mind....I'm still looking at a £900 loss thanks to insurance pay out blah blah blah. Rant over with. ;)

Anyway I bought another little punto today and I want to smarten it up. Its a 2000 Mk 2 1.2 8v.

It needs a new bonnet as the one at the moment has dings all over it but does anyone know if the Mk 2 bonnets fit both the 3 door and 5 doors versions? I haven't had the chance to look at them side by side but I know the boots are different on the for the 3 and 5 door cars as I had to change my last one.

Also, would the bonnets with the grills fit my car? I quite like them! otherwise I'll just stick with the standard one.

I need to clean the engine bay up as it looks a quite dirty etc, any tips? can I use hammermite to clean it up a bit?

cheers ;)

Not sure about the bonnets but with regards to the engine bay cleaning its all down to a lot of care! You have to mind all the electricals, especially the ecu, fuse box and battery. Its well worth the time in completely removing them to be sure they are not damaged if your using water. However there are some options other than water. WD40 is amazing for cleaning just about anything in the engine bay and adds protection. The best tip in cleaning though is don't use the cleaner onto what needs cleaning! Put it on the cleaning rag then apply it, that way there is no risk of overspray onto vital systems. No doubt be lots of ideas from members on this one but WD40 is a cheap and effective cleaner.

stick a broom under bonnet when removing it
dont use bonnet stay or bonnet tilts and chops fingers/ head butts you
make sure your hex tool sits in holes fully or they strip
do the same for replacement
bonnet needs lifting up from hinges to make it line up with wing tops for a nice fit

Thats great cheers guys, appreciate it.

If anyone knows someone who is breaking a Mk 2....I'd be interested in the bonnet (in black preferably). Cheers again

Back