General after market 15" alloys for a 1.2 Pop recommendations sought!

Currently reading:
General after market 15" alloys for a 1.2 Pop recommendations sought!

(Hi all!

I took a test drive today in a 1.2 sport on standard fiat alloys and found the handling, ride and road noise generated by the tires to be much improved over my 1.2 pop on steelies.

I can't afford to change the car yet (I did ask £1500 on the same sticker price as my car a month ago!) so I'm looking at putting some alloys on the pop to get the benefits without the expense of changing.

The dealer priced up genuine fiat ones - the 15" range all comes out at £505.44 plus tires Conti's £322.90, Dunlops £232.46. This seems a bit expensive compared to wheels and tires sourced on the internet. Halfords for example do a set with tires for £330.00 and other sites will supply wheels and tires for around £500!

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to alloys (for tires I usually go for a mid-range price) so I would like to benefit from your years of collective wisdom!

Questions on my mind are;

Will aftermarket non-fiat alloys be as well suited to the car and give the ride and handling improvements I'm looking for?

Can anyone recommend any?

How about used fiat ones as a cheaper option, anyone know of a reputable firm to buy from?

Saw a couple of salvaged "lounge" alloys on the bay for £75.00 is that a good price/worth the risk?

Anyways, enough of my waffle, hope you can help! :)

I think you may be making a couple of false assumptions in your post but as I am non-technical largely, I am not going to pass comment as there are others on here who (i) will know for sure and (ii) are very helpful, so I will wait for them to come along.

All I will say is that eBay and patience is what you need. Personally I would also stick to an official 500 style alloy too, but that is really just my individual preference (although when it comes to selling the car on you will reap the rewards).

Good luck.

I think you may be making a couple of false assumptions in your post but as I am non-technical largely, I am not going to pass comment as there are others on here who (i) will know for sure and (ii) are very helpful, so I will wait for them to come along.

All I will say is that eBay and patience is what you need. Personally I would also stick to an official 500 style alloy too, but that is really just my individual preference (although when it comes to selling the car on you will reap the rewards).

Good luck.

I agree.. Ebay would be a good place to start. Be careful to make sure that the wheels have the right PCD and offset (i think is correct terminology) to fit the 500. I know my old cinquecento had a 4x98 PCD which, at the time, you could get very few wheels to fit... I am sure someone with more knowledge than me could tell you the PCD and offset required for a 500. You may want to think carefully about your tyre choices as well, you will most probably be given low profile tyres with your new alloys, which are not necesarily going to give you the comfy ride that you are seeking (again, I think.. don't quote me..).
If you are looking for a new look for your car then I would say go for it, but, as Robin said, if its just for ride improvements, you may not get the benefits you are hoping for..
Perhaps spending money on improved suspension might be better??
Appologies if what I have said is complete rubbish... :)

Thanks for your input folks, have been on the bay and in some online shops and so far nothing is grabbing me as a bargain, what's the point of buying alloys that clearly need refurbing?
Most of the aftermarket cheaper options are IMHO hideous boy racer designs and not in keeping with the 500.

That £1500 change price is getting tempting seeing as it includes sports leatherette seats and 1k less on the clock not to mention the alloys.....

(that said if I had £1500 it would be going toward a new TwinAir!)

BTW bought a pair of used fiat chrome mirror covers through the classified section and they brighten up the Pop a treat:)

If you do go ahead and get alloys, don't forget to set some extra money aside for a likely increase in your insurance premium. Whatever you fit, make sure your insurance company are completely aware of any changes.

Me and the Missus got caught out 5 or so years ago when we changed the rear light clusters on our old MX5 for Lexus type clear lenses. Almost unbelievably, some moron in a 4x4 reversed into our car breaking one of the lenses as well as causing £500 worth of damage to the rear bumper assembly. Insurance paid out for the bumper, but refused to pay out for a new light cluster because we hadn't told them about the change. We had to put the originals back on and therefore effectively lost the £100 that the clear clusters cost.

Thanks guys:)

Had a quick shufty at the sites suggested, probably would prefer to go for the Fiat ones if I could afford it!

Anyone any experience of the Halfords ripspeed ones? These are well within budget (yes the supplied tires will probably not be the best but can be changed when funds allow) but unsure as to the quality of the actual rims.

Had a quick shufty at the sites suggested, probably would prefer to go for the Fiat ones if I could afford it!

Anyone any experience of the Halfords ripspeed ones? These are well within budget (yes the supplied tires will probably not be the best but can be changed when funds allow) but unsure as to the quality of the actual rims.

The wheels in Halfords don't suit the 500 or any 'Fiat' requiring a PCD of 98 x 4. Wheels are geared for the Opel market but they will suit the Grand Punto with a PCD of 100 x 4. This GM spec can take a PCD of 98 if wobble bolts are used but AFAIK not the other way around.

It is possible to get a set of brand new 16 inch Abarth wheels from someone who has upgraded to an esseesse spec - sets are generally advertised for £500 but can be got for a lot less. This will have the EXACT same offset of E35 as the Multi-spokes or 5o-spokes. Only problem with the wheel size is that IMHO it's over tyred for the 1.2 but if you opt for the Bridgestones as opposed to the Conti they have 'less' rolling resistance and wouldn't impact the mpg as much.

Note that on the 15 inch steelies that were supplied with the 1.4 Pop had an offset of E40 so it you got aftermarket at E37/E38 it's not the 'end of the world'.

If I went aftermarket I would find it hard to resist a set of Prorace 1.2 from TMC Motorsport in an E30 offset (this is a more 'sporty' offset) in 17s and justify it on the basis of a lighter wheel. Cost £430 plus tyres and TMC do a deal on a set of mid range Toyos. Again a bit mad but would look the business.

Personally I would 'hang out' for a secondhand set of 15 inch Sport alloys. Patience will pay dividents. Expect to pay around £300 s/hand with tyres that should some thread. Expect a few scratches but nothing heavily marked. The issue before with 15x185/55 was that there wasn't much choice in decent tyres but Conti have released the new Conti 5 model in this size and it has all the +++s without the downside of rolling resistance. The LAD Motorsport 500 1.4 that had been tuned for 130bhp ? used this size in the wheels when the suspension got lowered to give the right balance of comfort and performance.

Your POP wheels can revert to being shod with a set of winter tyres if we get the snow that we used to get at Christmas 2009 & 2010.

Lastly insurance. If you fit a set of Fiat alloys how will your insurance company know ? There are plenty of POPs supplied with alloys by the Dealer and if yours came with steelies how are they to know that you upgraded to Alloys. Sometimes you have to play the 'I didn't know they were there' card. You could ring up and ask if you could upgrade the 15 Sport Alloys on the BNW 1.2 to Abarth 16 alloys and see what it costs extra on insurance.:)

Last edited:
The wheels in Halfords don't suit the 500 or any 'Fiat' requiring a PCD of 98 x 4. Wheels are geared for the Opel market but they will suit the Grand Punto with a PCD of 100 x 4. This GM spec can take a PCD of 98 if wobble bolts are used but AFAIK not the other way around.

It is possible to get a set of brand new 16 inch Abarth wheels from someone who has upgraded to an esseesse spec - sets are generally advertised for £500 but can be got for a lot less. This will have the EXACT same offset of E35 as the Multi-spokes or 5o-spokes. Only problem with the wheel size is that IMHO it's over tyred for the 1.2 but if you opt for the Bridgestones as opposed to the Conti they have 'less' rolling resistance and wouldn't impact the mpg as much.

Note that on the 15 inch steelies that were supplied with the 1.4 Pop had an offset of E40 so it you got aftermarket at E37/E38 it's not the 'end of the world'.

If I went aftermarket I would find it hard to resist a set of Prorace 1.2 from TMC Motorsport in an E30 offset (this is a more 'sporty' offset) in 17s and justify it on the basis of a lighter wheel. Cost £430 plus tyres and TMC do a deal on a set of mid range Toyos. Again a bit mad but would look the business.

Personally I would 'hang out' for a secondhand set of 15 inch Sport alloys. Patience will pay dividents. Expect to pay around £300 s/hand with tyres that should some thread. Expect a few scratches but nothing heavily marked. The issue before with 15x185/55 was that there wasn't much choice in decent tyres but Conti have released the new Conti 5 model in this size and it all the +++s without the downside of rolling resistance. The LAD Motorsport 500 1.4 that had been tuned for 130bhp ? used this size in the wheels when the suspension got lowered to give the right balance of comfort and performance.

Your POP wheels can revert to being shod with a set of winter tyres if we get the snow that we used to get at Christmas 2009 & 2010.

Lastly insurance. If you fit a set of Fiat alloys how will your insurance company know ? There are plenty of POPs supplied with alloys by the Dealer and if yours came with steelies how are they to know that you upgraded to Alloys. Sometimes you have to play the 'I didn't know they were there' card. You could ring up and ask if you could upgrade the 15 Sport Alloys on the BNW 1.2 to Abarth 16 alloys and see what it costs extra on insurance.:)

Thanks for the advice:)

I think on balance waiting for a set of sport wheels is my best bet in terms of fit and style (not to mention budget!).

Apart from the bay any ideas where else I could look?

:idea: wanted add on the forum perhaps?

Cheers peoples!(y)

Thanks for the advice:)

I think on balance waiting for a set of sport wheels is my best bet in terms of fit and style (not to mention budget!).

Apart from the bay any ideas where else I could look?

:idea: wanted add on the forum perhaps?

Cheers peoples!(y)

In the 15 sport wheels there are 2 types. The alloy and the bi-colour finish. Since your 1.2 is BNW the bi-colour would suit but if you need to re-furnish it's a lot more tricky. Same would apply to the 50-spoke wheels. I don't know what kind of issues the black finish wheels would face.

Another wheel that"s really nice apart from the multi-spokes is the by diesel wheel. This is used on the standard US abarth 500 and on the 500 TA with the abarth kit. The by diesel wheels get the black treatment but the outer rim remain in alloy and IMHO looks the business.

If you look for something specific you'll pay for it whilst if you leave your options open you'll get better value for money. By the time a set of sport wheels comes up you'll be at the stage of trading your 1.2 for a TA.

If you look for something specific you'll pay for it whilst if you leave your options open you'll get better value for money. By the time a set of sport wheels comes up you'll be at the stage of trading your 1.2 for a TA.

:( It certainly looks like it could take a while to source a decent used set judging by the results of my googling so far!

Still looking though! :bang:

:)

Lastly insurance. If you fit a set of Fiat alloys how will your insurance company know ? There are plenty of POPs supplied with alloys by the Dealer and if yours came with steelies how are they to know that you upgraded to Alloys. Sometimes you have to play the 'I didn't know they were there' card.

Of course it is a personal choice should you wish to risk it. However, I have a friend who is an insurance accident/theft assessor and they are not stupid people. Some will investigate everything from contacting the original dealer and any subsequent resellers during the course of their investigations. It really isn't that difficult to do a proper trace on fairly new vehicles and discover exactly how the car left the factory or the dealer network it was sold through. At the end of the day insurance companies don't like paying out for stuff that owners sometimes attempt to either dishonestly claim for or claim for replacement of modified parts they weren't aware of, and why should they? Ultimately, the rest of us would end up paying for it through increased premiums!

At the end of the day, for the sake of paying a few extra quid, is it really worth trying to get away with it? Flip a coin!

Like to edit the last post.
Wobble bolts will correct the difference on the PCD but it's the bore size the prevents the Halfords wheel been used on the 500. Note the EDIT in red where Maxi gives the explanation.

https://www.fiatforum.com/500/290465-rims-500-a.html?p=2934712

P.S. Another nice 15 inch wheel is the 'wavey alloy'. It was orginally available on the 500c but it's now available on the standard 500. It would be another option in the 15s aside from the Sport alloys.

At the end of the day, for the sake of paying a few extra quid, is it really worth trying to get away with it? Flip a coin!

There was a discussion on this topic a few moons ago so I wouldn't open Pandora's box.

Might be worthwhile if cheekylittlescamp contacted his insurance company to assess if a premium increase (if any) to avoid any disappointment.

Like to edit the last post.
Wobble bolts will correct the difference on the PCD but it's the bore size the prevents the Halfords wheel been used on the 500. Note the EDIT in red where Maxi gives the explanation.

https://www.fiatforum.com/500/290465-rims-500-a.html?p=2934712

Not necessarily :)

A Vauxhall wheel won't fit like I said, but most if not all aftermarket wheels are oversized and you buy a spigot ring to adapt them to the size that the car runs :)

Still, I would just get genuine wheels. Genuine wheels are generally the best bet, they fit properly for one thing and buyers will never be turned off by a genuine wheel whereas people are often turned off by aftermarket wheels. I for one generally run a mile when I see some cheap Halfords wheels on a car, I mean if you cheap out on wheels then what else are you going to cheap out on?

Ebay is your friend :) Keep an eye out on there for used wheels :) Best thing to do is search for "Fiat 500 wheels" and filter by used :)

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back