Punto Headlight Restoration

Currently reading:
Punto Headlight Restoration

DasArab

Decided to attack the headlights on the wifes Mk2 Punto today. They were showing pretty bad pitting and spiders webbing etc.

Used 1200 and 2000 grit wet sand paper, Megs #82 and #83 Mirror glaze on a cutting pad with a rotary polisher.

What I started with.
headlight1-1.jpg

headlight2.jpg

headlight3.jpg

All sanded up

headlight4.jpg

Finished article

headlight5.jpg

Yes, dont get too excited about polishes, the Megs stuff is what I have at hand. I have used AG Paint restorer and AG SRP in the past.

looks good!

you can buy plastic polishing kits from DIY stores that use a resin compound and a drill mounted polishing head

i,ve been using a similar process to polish an aluminium aeroplane propeller to a mirror finish, which i eventually plan to mount on a wall somewhere. however it did a nice job of my headlights too

i Had a go at my lights today which are really bad made a really good improvement but i think they need another going over, great guide though :)

i Had a go at my lights today which are really bad made a really good improvement but i think they need another going over, great guide though :)

Yea its better to get it done perfectly

In the UK its an mot failure if the haze or distortion is too bad it affects the light pattern

Seen it happen before, you might be lucky and get an advisory.

Catch it early - it'll save ALOT of work

Ziggy

Decided to attack the headlights on the wifes Mk2 Punto today. They were showing pretty bad pitting and spiders webbing etc.

Used 1200 and 2000 grit wet sand paper, Megs #82 and #83 Mirror glaze on a cutting pad with a rotary polisher.

What I started with.
headlight1-1.jpg

headlight2.jpg

headlight3.jpg

All sanded up

headlight4.jpg

Finished article

headlight5.jpg
Megs #82 and #83 Mirror glaze on a cutting pad ????
MEGUIARS #7 Show Car Glaze / Mirror Glaze Professional
Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze- Mirror Glaze From a Master Stockist 473ml
WILL THIS WORK AND HOW DO I DO IT ? PLEASE

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back