Technical replaced passenger side tie rod end steering crooked to the right

Currently reading:
Technical replaced passenger side tie rod end steering crooked to the right

blackpool

Hi i replaced my passenger side track rod end.

Now to drive in a straight line I have to drive 5 minute past the hour type of position.

Do I need to thread the track rod end on more or loosen it off to a turn or more to centre it up again?

if you tighten it(clockwise), it will make the wheel toe out( like 10 past 12) if you slacken it( anti-clockwise) it will toe in(10 to 12)

basicly if you tighten it the wheel will align like this /
or if you slacken it will look like this \

so toe out \ / and toe in /\

i think.....got me thinking now.??

any way, you need straightn the wheel that has not been touched, then adjust the new one to line up but will need tracking correctly at a garage to be correct or it will wear your tyre...

Last edited:
i would suggest to get it tracked properly so you dont wear out tyres in a few days.

how much would it cost roughly at a garage to get them to align everything properly?

Undoing the new N/S track rod end one turn should have your steering wheel moving anticlockwise back towards the 12 o'clock position, but as the others have said it will be better to get your tracking set professionally. £23.50 +vat round here. Make sure your locknuts can be loosened easily before you go, makes it a quick and easy job for them and gives you an opportunity to barter. Also removes the danger of some 17yr old spanner monkey rounding off your nuts. Ouch!

basicly if you tighten it the wheel will align like this /
or if you slacken it will look like this \
(Assuming it's left hand drive... Passenger side changed;))
If you want to line it up yourself, I use a simple tool for checking alignment, long piece of string with a biggish hook on the end, hook it onto the rear wheel and pull it tight along the car and lay across the front wheel, front of tyre touches first it needs toeing in, rear, toe out. (check with the car on the ground)

decided to let the guys at kwik fit do it. (they bought out a local tyre business)

I have a print out i will post up later, they said they the caster is not adjustable on pandas, is this true?

Anyway, quite impressed at how much better it drives with the steering straight and the wheels pointing in the same direction, like a new car lol. :eek:

Yes it is true, not adjustable on most cars though. The only reason it would be out is if something is worn or damaged.

Qwik fit must be on a mission, they've just bought out a local fitters here too.

No the horse has a passport and is well on its way to Canada (stable door reference) I always replace track rod ends in pairs and use as little movement in the locking nuts as possible. Provided the car was straight in the first place she'll be fine after.

Have a look at my Pandamonium thread to see how I did it.

A little late I know but always handy for the future.

klAGul.png

Back