Technical Front brake disc recommendations?

Currently reading:
Technical Front brake disc recommendations?

widemouthfrog

semper in merda
Like the subject says. Don't want drilled or vented ones, just good quality discs that will stay straight and true and give decent braking. Could also be persuaded into new pads if anyone's got a strong favourite.

pads and new discs always,never do discs without new pads.:D sure someone will guide you to offers.

front discs and pads are £52 on E Bay, that's all you will need, cos the Multipla is not a performance vehicle.

Brembo discs can be picked for around £70 or less, definitely new pads as well while your doing it.
I'd speak to EBC who do brake pads, however Multipla OEM brake pads are quite hard and anything softer will give better braking albeit at the expense of pad life.
BTW You DO want vented ones as vented discs are standard!

I was once told by a driving instructor at track day to take my foot off the brake having stopped, reason being that if the pads are still in contact with the disc this will cause a temperature differential at that point, this can cause warping as the disc cools unevenly.
Made sense to me and I've had discs that glowed in the dark without warping!

Last edited:
Vented as in slotted or grooved. You know what I mean momoe......

The pads went on new with the discs about 2-3,000 miles ago. Almost all of that has been motorway miles, so the pads (and discs) are barely run in. They look as new.

The disc got damaged by someone refitting it (when the clutch/DMF was changed) with the dowel location holes 90 degrees out of alignment with the dowels. This was possible because the dowels were very short/ broken off. I've bought new ones so this won't happen again. Anyway, the muppet didn't check that the disc was seated and went ahead and fitted the wheel with an air driver, cracking the inner flange of the disc in the process :mad:. They've left a nice imprint of the dowel on the inside of the flange. I can post a piccy if anyone's interested. Think I'd better check the wheel as well....

Anyhoooo, the Brembo discs look like they may be the ones to go for. Probably cheapo Chinese made items with a Brembo box wrapped around them. That's the advantage with the EBC ones- they are British made, and to pretty fine tolerances. Nobody else seems to quote their manufacturing tolerances for discs.

Anyhoooo, the Brembo discs look like they may be the ones to go for. Probably cheapo Chinese made items with a Brembo box wrapped around them. That's the advantage with the EBC ones- they are British made, and to pretty fine tolerances. Nobody else seems to quote their manufacturing tolerances for discs.

http://bremboaftermarket.com/En/Car_Disc_Catalogue/Catalogue_Search.aspx

... click-on the P/No & the tolerances are on the engineering drawing.

WMF, as regards vented I was a little surprised but no harm in clarifying.

I can't see it being worthwhile for anyone to knock off Brembo discs for the Multipla, so I'd be reasonably confident they're the genuine article. EBC do have a good name and I'd be happy with EBC or Brembo, having said that Europarts has very cheap discs for sale with fairly comprehensive details.

Did you contact the garage that fitted them as it seems pretty clear they f@#ked up?

Hi momoe - I didn't mean to imply that they're knock offs, just that Brembo could well be sourcing their stuff from China these days as I've not seen anything to say where their discs are actually made. It's the way of the world. EBC proudly boast UK manufacture - I assume that's a good thing!

Following Caravadossis' link (thanks for that!) run-out tolerance looks ok. Quality-wise, it's still pretty difficult to tell if one (Brembo) is better than the other, or if either are any better than the cheap discs like the ones I've recently bought from a2z on ebay. That's why I posted the question here!

The people that fitted the clutch and DMF are shut for their hols now so I'll have to wait to have a word. I get the feeling they did it in a hurry. Let's hope the rest of the work is ok.

Last edited:
I'm not worried where it's made, my concern is what spec. is it made to and have they kept to it.
Brembo's spec. should be more demanding than some which should give some comfort, however the Multi isn't significantly heavier than other cars using this size disc.
Mondeo ST 2.2 diesel only has 300mm (compared with Multi's 284mm) and this is both heavier and (much) faster.
Braking has never been an issue on mine, the 52 plate I had before was a PITA as the rears were disc and the calipers seized if the humidity was too high, never mind any rain.

Pagid, Mintex and Textar are all made by TMD Friction. I've found the Pagid on www.carparts4less.co.uk for £35.40 vented disks and pads are £29.40 for Bosch system and £33.00 for Teves System. They operate a Reg number location system.
The Pagid seem to have great reviews having done some research.
Ta

I'm not worried where it's made, my concern is what spec. is it made to and have they kept to it.
Brembo's spec. should be more demanding than some which should give some comfort

I guess I'm getting cynical. Recently bought a piece of equipment for my work from a reputable name, one that I'd been very impressed with in the past. When it arrived, it was immediately obvious that the quality had slipped a long way; sure enough, when I made a few enquiries, they'd outsourced their manufacture to the far east and obviously weren't keeping an eye on QC.

Some Chinese-made kit is good quality. I've had to liaise with several companies in that part of the world when getting things I've designed into production and some of the set ups have been technically excellent. A mixed bag, just as in the UK. As you say, it's maintaining standards consistently that seems to be the hard bit.

Anyway, I'm quite impressed by comments about Pagid discs and pads on various web forums so I might give them a go. Price is very much on a par with Brembo and a bit less than EBC (who get a mixed bag in terms of reviews). Around £100-110 for a front axle disc/pad set seems to be the going rate for Brembo and Pagid.

Last edited:
Pagid discs and pads arrived yesterday. First impressions are good - nicely finished discs looking suitably smart in their silver finish. I'll reserve further judgement until they're fitted and bedded in.

Quick update on the Pagid front discs and pads. They've done about 2,500 miles now and I'm very pleased with them. They brake straight and true, no vibration or warping, no disc glazing. Very progressive feel and really stop the car in a hurry when needed. I can't comment on fade as I've not put them through a prolonged drive-it-like-you-stole-it session, but for me they suit the Multi very well. Not much dust and no squeal either (used the Pagid ceramic grease). Too early to say what pad wear is like.

For about £100 inc. VAT and delivery for a set of front discs, pads and ceramic grease, it's a (y) from me.

Back