Technical Punto/Diesel Servicing

Currently reading:
Technical Punto/Diesel Servicing

scatcat

Hi everyone.

I am now the proud owner of a 1.9 HLX JTD. (37,000 miles) X reg which will make it a Mk2, I believe?

I intend to service it myself. I have been servicing my petrol driven Fords for years.

It was last serviced when I bought it. (29,000 miles)

Thing is I have never owned a diesel before and I cannot get hold of a Haynes type manual for this car.

What will I have to do at the 12,000 mile service intervals on a diesel and more importantly on a Punto?

Change the oil, oil filter.................. and?

Can anyone point me in the direction of some kinda of Haynes like manual please.

Or give me some details as to what I should be doing.

All answers, hints, tips and help greatfully recieved.

Thanks

Hi the JTD is very reliable. I just changed the oil/filters every 10k. The haynes manual for mk2 only covers petrol but the running gear is the same. E-mail me [email protected] if you need more power via psi tuning box

Haven't you got the manual?
If not i can look in mine and give you the info from that, although i have to warn you as it's in danish and i may not translate it correctly.
Plus i'm a bit unsure about the intervals as mine is stated in km (but a simple conversion to miles should be accurate enough).

But from memory i think it's basically whats already been posted (oil + different filters). The next big thing is the cambelt at 120.000 km (ca. 75.000 miles).

Thanks for that everyone.

So it's oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter and glow plugs.

Is there any Gotchas I should be aware of.

I think I read on here that you need to fill the fuel filter before refitting is that correct?

Do the glow plugs need changing at the same intervals as everything else? or can they be done less often?

On petrol engine I would normally just re-gap the plugs and change them every other service.

Thanks.

My Punto JTD has gone over 200.000km without changing glow plugs.
As long as they work, i wouldn't change them and i don't think the manual says they need to be changed at specific intervals but i'll take a look in my manual later today.

EDIT: Just checked the manual and it doesn't mention the glow plugs, so i wouldn't change them until they stop working.

Last edited:
Thank you Santa.

..................... That sounds a bit like Christmas :)

yeah just give the glow plugs a clean now and then.
i dont know about the new jtd engine but on my mk1 punto it has no primer so if you are changing the fuel filter you have to manually fill it with diesel before starting the car happened not so long ago when i ran out of fuel doh
i have put 2 lots of glow plugs on my car in the last 12 months the first lot where knackered and making my car really slow at starting

marky23 said:
i dont know about the new jtd engine but on my mk1 punto it has no primer so if you are changing the fuel filter you have to manually fill it with diesel before starting the car

I don't think you have to do that anymore. I haven't seen them do it when mine was in for service (and i usually stand and chat with the mechanic at the same time) and it started fine every time. They just take the old fuel filter off and put the new one on. I believe it fills it automatically.

Thanks again everyone..

Sorry to be a pain and keeping asking stupid questions but....

What would be the best/cheapest place to get parts?

And also. I can cope with the other things without a manual but,what would be the procedure for changing the fuel filter?

Does it just unscrew like an oil filter or is there a bit more to it than that?

Thanks in advance.

scatcat said:
And also. I can cope with the other things without a manual but,what would be the procedure for changing the fuel filter?

Does it just unscrew like an oil filter or is there a bit more to it than that?

If i remember correctly(!) you just unscrew it like the oil filter. On mine it's located just above the battery in the left side of the car (well, not on top of the battery :D , but bewteen the battery and the windscreen), either that or i need to check my memory :rolleyes:

Thanks again.

I checked it out yesterday and I see exactly what you mean.

One final question...........I promise.

I noticed the oil filter is towards the bottom left (as you look from above) of the engine. The Engine is covered below by a plastic covering, do you have to take this off to get to the filter from beneath? Or is it possible to reach in from above?

I hate it when you have to carefully remove plastic moldings in these stiuations, you nearly always break something and they never go back again properly.

Is there a special technique involved with getting it off?

Thanks again.

Don't forget to get the Air con serviced properly. You wouldn't want legionella would you?

The back of the owners manual gives the full breakdown on what needs doing when.

scatcat said:
Thanks again.

I checked it out yesterday and I see exactly what you mean.

One final question...........I promise.

I noticed the oil filter is towards the bottom left (as you look from above) of the engine. The Engine is covered below by a plastic covering, do you have to take this off to get to the filter from beneath? Or is it possible to reach in from above?

I hate it when you have to carefully remove plastic moldings in these stiuations, you nearly always break something and they never go back again properly.

Is there a special technique involved with getting it off?

Thanks again.

I think you have to remove the plastic covering, that's what they do when they service mine. Haven't tried with it on. But it only takes a minute or so to remove it, very easy to remove (think there are 4-6 screws holding it). (y)

And if you engine room looks like mine (which it most likely does as it's the same car with the same engine) and can't imagine you can get your arm down to it from above. I don't think theres room for anything the size of an arm in the engine bay, it's PACKED!! :D

Marvelous, thanks again.

Yea, I suppose you would have to be Strech Armstrong to get your hand down there :)

Have a good weekend.

Just trying to source the parts for the service and a small problem.

What fuel filter will I need.

There appears to be 3 possibles. According to the guy in the shop they changed the type just about the time mine was produced. (X reg 2000)

The choices where for 1.9 JTD80, 1.9 Diesel or 1.9 JTD85 Anyone have any idea which would be suitable :confused:

Well it's not a 1,9 Diesel (that's the one without the turbo).
So it's either a JTD80 or a JTD85.
You say your car is from 2000, then i think it's a JTD80 (same as mine ;) ). I don't think the JTD85 was introduced until 2002 (or late 2001).

If you're buying your fuelfilter from Fiat, you could give them your chassis number (the one starting with ZFA188), with this number Fiat should know exactly what model it is and thus what fuelfilter you need.

scatcat said:
What would be the best/cheapest place to get parts?

Try phoning Steve at Alternative Autos on 01484-865086 http://www.mortloan.co.uk/coupe/index.htm

His website only lists Fiat Coupe but I phoned him a couple of days ago for a cambelt kit for my Marea TD100 and he has already come back with a list of parts and prices ... about half the price of my local Fiat dealer for the same stuff (i.e. Dayco, SKS etc). I'll hopefully be ordering from him today when he quotes me for the other bits I asked about yesterday afternoon.

scatcat said:
Just trying to source the parts for the service and a small problem.

What fuel filter will I need.

There appears to be 3 possibles. According to the guy in the shop they changed the type just about the time mine was produced. (X reg 2000)

The choices where for 1.9 JTD80, 1.9 Diesel or 1.9 JTD85 Anyone have any idea which would be suitable :confused:

As Santa says, it is the JTD80. 1.9D is the normally aspirated model and the JTD85 was introduced in summer 2002 when the specifications changed from JTD ELX and JTD HLX to JTD Dynamic and JTD Eleganza ;)

Back