Technical xenon headlights

Currently reading:
Technical xenon headlights

TONALZERA

hello fiat universe,i drive a 2010 grande punto 1.4 liter and i was wishing to install xenon headlights..some friend told me that xenon lights can damage the electric circuits of the car and generally is harmful to the car...is that true?..have anybody experienced any problems with xenon lights?...i plan to buy a decent kit though"i believe" HID worth about $160...thank u

What are the legalitys in Egypt with fitting them? over here in the UK you can have issues with the MOT (government yearly safety check)

They in standard headlights can "blind" oncoming motorists due to the scatter of the standard reflector headlamps..

Seen a members car recently at a meet where the excessive heat from the HID bulb has burnt the silver reflector off his headlamps above the bulbs :bang:

if you do get some avoid the cheap china made kits and pay a bit extra for some quality units

It is not a good thing to replace halogen with xenon, in any car.

Reflectors are designed for halogen bulbs, not xenon ones. It is many changes between : position on light source, emission beam of a filament vs. an arc, etc.

In all european countries and USA you can't legally do this. More than, you need a automatic headlight leveling system and headlight washer (legally).

Electrically, if you choose standard 35W xenon you should not have problems. Never choose 55W xenon, 35W HID is far brighter than 60W halogen (aprox. the double, 60W halogen is about 1500-1600 lm and 3200 lm for xenon).

The only thing true is an halogen light bulb is a resistive load : perfect in electicity, no noise generated, no peaks, no harmonics and so on.
We can't say that with xenon : it is basically a power regulated DC/DC converter, with a high voltage ignitor.

Last edited:
thanks for the replies peeps...i have a friend who drives a grande punto coupe with 125hp,he told me that he uses a 55watt xenon headlights and is experiencing no problems with it..infact he was having trouble with the 35 watt kit..and we do have some legal issues here in egypt..but you just install some standart modifications and no legal problems should face you

Back