Technical Seicento radiator fan

Currently reading:
Technical Seicento radiator fan

Silverman

Hi folks, the radiator fan on my 2001 Seicento has just died. It's got the 1108 MPI engine.

None of the local scrappies has one so my only hope seems to be Ebay where I can get one for about £85.

Can't really afford this at the minute so I was wondering if a fan off another Fiat might fit, perhaps with a bit of fettling.

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks

Where abouts are you? My local scrappy, near Dartford in Kent has loads. I paid £30 for a cinq rad fan.

Geoff

Are you sure it is not the relay?

Red coloured underneath the auxilliary services cover?

There are two together one is for the EFI one for the fan.

These often stick in the open position so makes the fan inop.

Only around £10 from the Fiat dealer?

Have you tried running the fan direct to battery?

Hi and thanks for the info. I'm in Beccles, near Norwich. Not many scrapyards near me. Do you have a number for your Dartford guy and I'll give him a try.

Hi JR Racing. Unfortunately it's not the relay. The fan motor was well and truly cooked.

Hi
Thanks for the offer but my Sei is the later MPI one. I don't think it will fit. ??

Ok no worries, if you do get stuck though i know of 2 sei's local to me being broken.

....my only hope seems to be Ebay where I can get one for about £85.

Oh dear, you haven't done your homework :rolleyes:
MPI radiator 2001 onwards....
Dimensions 450-280-34mm
OEM number 46558704
Short number 8085-KFT239

E-bay ATP-SpareParts have them for £25.60=£8.90p&p
& that may not even be the cheapest price as i only checked out two suppliers.
You could also check the 'For Sale' section on the forum, at least a couple of peeps in Norfolk selling rads at the moment.

Second hand rad fans are a waste of time, as they are close to the end of life by now.
As quoted, the op is looking for a rad FAN and not a radiator?

Last edited:
Ebay has gazillions of aftermarket fans the right size which will more than likely do the job just fine. We have discussed this before, can't remember where. Problem is the mounting kits are a bit mickey mouse and require you to put cable tie like things through the rad. This IMO puts a lot more load on the radiator structure and its mountings than is ideal, also they are a bugger to get off afterwards without destroying the fixings.

However if I was in a bind and short of mulla, and if I just needed my car running ASAP without stretching my budget, if it was my only alternative to preventing the inevitable head gasket failure caused by running the car without one.

Would I fit one, damn right I would!

Even better by one of these slim line fans and make your own mounting brackets job done. :)

Second hand rad fans are a waste of time, as they are close to the end of life by now.

Then were all doomed !

How often does a fan actually kick in ? and for how long ? Its fine if you have the finances to buy new everything, i'd rather fit 2nd hand OE than aftermarket new.

IIRC Ming and RallyCinq run the slimline ebay type fans with no issues?
I fitted one to a custom motorbike, the quality was good I just didn't like the mounting system. It's still running 2 years later exposed to worse conditions than it would ever see on a car.

How often does a fan actually kick in ? and for how long ?

The fan kicks in whenever the car isn't moving as the radiator gets zero air flow, which is just about every traffic and parking situation in a Cento. Since these cars hover around 90c standard and the cooling sytem is adequate rather than ample, the fans work very hard.

These also die on a regular basis through bearing failure, there are several threads about failed rad fans every month.

Just like alternators and clutch cables it's a very common Cento problem, and something I wouldn't buy second hand personally.

Back