Technical Programming New Remote Keys into the Remote Receiver

Currently reading:
Technical Programming New Remote Keys into the Remote Receiver

GialloEvo94

I'm not sure if anyone can shed any light but I'm currently trying to understand the procedure carried out by Fiat when new remote keys are programmed into the remote receiver for the locking/alarm using the Fiat Examiner diagnostic machine.

The workshop manual (eLearn) states that a PASSWORD for the remote receiver first needs to be entered into Examiner before any new remote keys can be programmed to the remote receiver. The manual also states that this PASSWORD should be obtained from the Fiat Parts database (only accessible by dealers) using the chassis number of the car so it sounds like the PASSWORD might not be something that was given to the original owner of the car when it was bought new from the dealer and is only recorded and stored in Fiat's central database, or am I wrong?

From experience of other Fiat/Alfa remote locking/alarm systems, a PASSWORD also needs to be entered before new remote keys can be programmed into their remote receivers but the difference being that this can be done manually via a button on the remote receiver (i.e. Fiat Examiner is NOT required to program in new remote keys like it is with the Multipla). On these cars, the PASSWORD is actually the 4-digit code of one of the already programmed in keys, and each 4-digit code (in the format "1.2.3.4") was supplied to the original owner of the car on a white sticker tag attached to each key.

So I have the following questions specifically about the Multipla system:-

1. Does anyone know if the PASSWORD that needs to be entered into Examiner for the Multipla receivers is a 4-digit number, or is it a different length number? (if so, how many digits is it?)

2. Did any Multipla owners get given the 4-digit codes of their remote keys when the car was bought new? (i.e. were the white 4-digit code sticker tags attached to the keys, or had the stickers been put in the service book or on the CODE card?)

3. If yes to (2), then does anyone know if it is one (or any) of the 4-digit remote key codes that is actually the PASSWORD for the Multipla remote receiver, or is there a separate PASSWORD used on the Multipla systems which is unrelated to any of the 4-digit remote key codes?

Any help/info anyone can give me on this would be appreciated.

Go to fiat they will tell ya the code for a couple of quid and then find a cheap locksmith they can program keys in less than. 5 mins

Fiat can only get the PASSWORD if they have the VIN of the vehicle that the remote receiver was originally fitted to. This is because when the remote receiver is fitted at the factory, a PASSWORD is programmed into the receiver and that PASSWORD is also logged in the central Fiat Parts database against the car's VIN number. Authorised dealers can then query that database for the PASSWORD if and when required using the VIN of the car.

The remote receiver I have came from another Multipla for which the VIN is unknown so there is no way for a dealer to find the PASSWORD of that receiver in the central Fiat Parts database.

I do know the 4-digit codes of the keys that are programmed into the remote receiver, so if the PASSWORD required is one of those 4-digit codes then it means I already have the required PASSWORD. However, if the PASSWORD is a 5-digit code like the one that is needed for the CODE immobiliser system then I don't have the PASSWORD and there will be no way of getting it, not even from an authorised Fiat dealer, due to not having the VIN of the car that that the remote receiver was originally fitted to at the factory.

Therefore the question is, does anyone know if the PASSWORD required in order to program remote keys into the remote receiver via the Fiat Examiner diagnostic machine is a 4-digit code or a 5-digit code?

Fiat can only get the PASSWORD if they have the VIN of the vehicle that the remote receiver was originally fitted to. This is

because when the remote receiver is fitted at the factory, a PASSWORD is programmed into the receiver and that PASSWORD is also logged in the central Fiat Parts database against the car's VIN number. Authorised dealers can then query that database for the PASSWORD if and when required using the VIN of the car.

The remote receiver I have came from another Multipla for which the VIN is unknown so there is no way for a dealer to find the PASSWORD of that receiver in the central Fiat Parts database.

I do know the 4-digit codes of the keys that are programmed into the remote receiver, so if the PASSWORD required is one of those 4-digit codes then it means I already have the required PASSWORD. However, if the PASSWORD is a 5-digit code like the one that is needed for the CODE immobiliser system then I don't have the PASSWORD and there will be no way of getting it, not even from an authorised Fiat dealer, due to not having the VIN of the car that that the remote receiver was originally fitted to at the factory.

Therefore the question is, does anyone know if the PASSWORD required in order to program remote keys into the remote receiver via the Fiat Examiner diagnostic machine is a 4-digit code or a 5-digit code?

Fiat can still find this code out but they will charge u a bomb after ur explanation I'm at a loss ill have a word with my neibour he is a auto tec and is good with things like this and ill get bk to u

Thanks Pete, appreciated.

I would be certainly be interested to know if the stealers could definitely get hold of the receiver PASSWORD without knowing a VIN number of the vehicle it came form. AIUI they can only search for passwords using the VIN number of a car :confused:

I've now contacted a few dealers in my area regarding the issue and it seems that the Fiat franchises have lived up to their poor reputation of being completely clueless on anything without a step-by-step crib sheet to follow which doesn't come as any real surprise TBH.

Only one dealer bothered to get back to me and the response I got was to just bring the car in and they would take a look. In other words, they too don't have a clue either but can probably see an opportunity to try and screw a few quid out of a customer with the "only solution" almost certainly ending up with a brand new receiver being needed at an extortionate cost (and a nice little profit for them in the process)

I'll try a couple of auto locksmiths and see if I get any better results.

Back