Technical Fitting a rev counter

Currently reading:
Technical Fitting a rev counter

I'm gunna be fitting this tacho...

PICT6602.JPG

Here's a pic of the back of it. I know the blue wire needs to be connected but don't know to which port? And what other wires need to be connected to the other three ports?

PICT6603.JPG

Cheers guys

Thanks for your replies guys.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that this is to go in my 1.2 16v converted Panda.:eek:

I did a quick search for other threads that would already have the answer but couldn't find anything...

I've got the blue tachometer signal wire from the ECU, I'm just trying to find out if anyone knows what the other three connections will be? I have a feeling one will be earth and one will be lights but no idea what goes where.

The tachometer is from a Seicento sporting.

Cheers

The ecu signal is the difficult one really, if you've got that already then its just one earth, one live for the lighting, and an ignition switched live. Don't know which is which on there but if you find the bulb holder and see if you can track the connections back from that it should narrow it down, obviously that's light and ground, then you know the other 2 are ecu and live.

Last edited:
ive picked up a seicento rev counter and what ive figured out its.. hmm easier just to take a picture....

attachment.php

right, the Red wire is a live, Black is a earth, Yellow is illumination/side lights and the Blue wire is the ECU pickup.

i am running some tests on this one of mine to see what triggers the the needle to move. my plan is to wire the red and black into a 12v source then just to dab the blue wire onto the live.. see if it will give it a pulse to make the needle move. failing that ill use a 555 timer or my arduino to see if i can mimic a ignition coil pulse.. will see..

Edit,

What i have found out.. to get this to run on a earth switching points type system (the old ignition coil type non ecu controlled Jobie) the way you wire the thing up is:

Blue to ignition live, Black to an earth, and the fun bit! Red goes to the - side of the ignition coil. this is what i have just found bench testing it. and by dabbing the red wire onto an earth really fast makes the needle move.

i could do with testing it out on my car but its a bit late, a job for tomorrow!

Attachments

• IMG_20120706_230133.jpg
    IMG_20120706_230133.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 1,610
Last edited:
Spent the afternoon trying to get the tacho working with not much success.

Thank you Dragon Man for the heads up on wiring connections, knowing the right colour wire to the right connection was a great start and because I have an ECU Tacho trigger wire from the Punto ECU I thought it would be plain sailing from then on....:eek:

However, I am still not getting it to work, not even a flicker.
When I put a meter across the earth and blue wire I do get 1.10v at tickover, rising and lowering incrementally with the revs. Does anyone know if this is what you're supposed to get? :confused:

I have come to the conclusion that the problem might lie with the match between the existing Panda electrics and the Punto engine loom. I say this because I've noticed that with the Tacho connected, when you turn on the ignition but not actually start the engine, the fuel pump does not switch off like it usually does as the pressure builds up, it just keeps on going. I thought it might be the live connection to the Tacho causing this, so disconnected it but no change, it turns out to be the earth wire. Some how the earth wire to the tacho makes the fuel pump run continuously.

I have looked at both Panda and Punto wiring diagrams but have not noticed anything obvious.

There is of course the possiblity that my eBay purchased Seicento Rev counter does not work, I have no idea how robust they are and it probably hasen't had the easiest of times being posted and as I have trialled various options on fitting it.

Any ideas, help or advice greatly received as ever.(y)

Thanks Guys.

That's how mine looks like, but the signal is fed from the coil, it's much much simple to figure out. I do have CC sporting rev counter aswell - that was my original plan but it's to modern/oval compared with the cluster/ dash, and i didn't want to drill holes in.
It's really worth the hassel to have one onboard, than you can 'see' the noise if you guys know what i mean.
good luck with the wiring, there was a post made by 'jangcy' with a nice write up of the injection engine, will have a look tonight.

Attachments

• Image064.jpg
    Image064.jpg
    599.1 KB · Views: 292
Sorry to be a pain, I'm sure that the more experienced FFers are sick to death of Rev counter queries but I would really like to get mine sorted.

In order for me to establish if my blue signal wire feed is corrupt or if it's my gauge that's not working could someone that has a working ECU supplied Tachometer feed, please put a meter across it to establish what sort of voltage or signal a working one should give. I can then compare with what I have.

Hopefully I can work it out from there.

Many thanks.

thats a nice RPM meter, where did you get it from? matches the dash well.
it came from Polski Fiat 125p, it those fiat's they were fited where the clock in panda's, it does fit panda dash design and the stering wheel came from FSM Fiat 126p (NOS with custom leather).

Re. rev counter, i'm sure there was another way to wire it up by connecting signal wire directly to the coil thru some resistors or diodes.

BUMP!

Just wondering how RetroPanda got on with fitting the rev counter.

Wanting to fit one to mine (though I'm a standard Panda Fizz), any news?

Get the part and I'll wire that into the ECU for you at Panda camp also ;)

You'd better bring a few kegs of cider :p

Get the part and I'll wire that into the ECU for you at Panda camp also ;)

You'd better bring a few kegs of cider :p
To open after all the stuff's done, or you'll have a rev counter that tells you when the door's open, a radio that plays engine revs and an interior light that doubles as a disco.
Standard Italian wiring really;)

Thanks MEP (y)

I will get a little sei one then, they are cheap though hideous to look at.

Probably just velcro it to the top of the instrument pod until a more a appealing unit comes up. :)

Last edited:
Remind me why rev counters are the must have for Panda's? Is it to see how high you can rev them?

You can't break the engine so keep revving until it stops increasing speed, then change gear (if you have another one of course! :devil: ). That's the tried and tested method used by countless generations of Italians. ;)

Remind me why rev counters are the must have for Panda's? Is it to see how high you can rev them?

You can't break the engine so keep revving until it stops increasing speed, then change gear (if you have another one of course! :devil: ). That's the tried and tested method used by countless generations of Italians. ;)

Funnily enough, I could never see the point of them, but since they've been on my last four vehicles I quite miss it (even Twizzle has one!).

I have done it a few times on the motorway, music playing loud and I forget to change gear, which doesn't do Fizzle or the fuel economy any good :eek

You ask why, I say why not?

Oh and it's kewwwwwl :devil:

Back