Technical Clutch has dropped!!

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch has dropped!!

Hi
Just got my '99 Seicento Sporting and I was driving along, went to change to 4th and heard a snapping sound and the clutch pedal hit the floor. When I pull it up, it just pings back down again...

I checked the service history and it says that in Feb 2012 it had a new clutch cable... so does this mean the whole clutch is toast and how much are parts?

Any advice welcome because clutches are not my strong point!

Rhys

They are not Fiat Siecento's strong point either :(
There is an improved/stronger clutch cable available but....
if the cable has snapped again -you're overdue for a new clutch!
Thanks for you're help, one thing I do know is that clutch chnages involve the gearbox, so lots of labour costs from garages? But I know a few mechanics and I have a basic knowledge myself.

Cheers

its not a particularly hard task, buy yourself a haynes and set aside a day (2 perhaps if you have no helping hands).
Make sure you get a new thrust bearing with the clutch you buy and check the condition of the pressure plate before refitting it.
If any of that confuses you don't worry, once you read through the process in a haynes it will all makes sense.

It isn't necessarily the cable, it could be the linkage on the pedal assembly. Ours went just before Christmas and I assumed it was the cable but turned out the linkage had snapped, the short one with a ball joint on either end. Had a new clutch anyway, including a cable, but had to get a second hand pedal assembly to rob the part off as a new one from Fiat was over £70 + VAT. There's a thread about this here https://www.fiatforum.com/cinquecento-seicento/287800-broken-clutch-pedal-sei-02-a.html . If it is this you'll still need a new clutch though.
Also, there's a possibility it is the plastic fulcrum but that's less likely, I think you'd be able to tell.

Ian.

Last edited:
It isn't necessarily the cable, it could be the linkage on the pedal assembly. Ours went just before Christmas and I assumed it was the cable but turned out the linkage had snapped, the short one with a ball joint on either end. Had a new clutch anyway, including a cable, but had to get a second hand pedal assembly to rob the part off as a new one from Fiat was over £70 + VAT. There's a thread about this here https://www.fiatforum.com/cinquecento-seicento/287800-broken-clutch-pedal-sei-02-a.html . If it is this you'll still need a new clutch though.
Also, there's a possibility it is the plastic fulcrum but that's less likely, I think you'd be able to tell.

Ian.
I think I read you're post earlier on when I was looking for explainations. I checked the metal rod above the pedal with the ball joints on either end and they look relatively new...
But anyway, thanks for you're advice and I will make sure I have a good look. The only problem is my car is stuck down some road though!

Cheers
Rhys

A Haynes???
Ah, you old folk & your books :p

Look in the guides section & there is a -How To: Change a clutch on a cinq
I prefer not to get oil all over my laptop or phone.. having the manual means you can sit there and not have to move all your tools before you go in the house because you don't trust the pikey locals if you need to refer to it.

Also my haynes is an added security device, it sits on the parcel shelf as is to say, "Don't steal me, i'll just break down on you!"

Hi, just thought I'd update you guys that i have found the fault! It was the cylinder in ther clutch that a gasket had gone... not bad that the clutch mechanism has lasted 13 years (it was the original part!). It was about time for it to be replaced...
Cheers for the help
(and btw blu73, I'd prefer a haynes any day too!)
Rhys

Back