Technical Rear suspension

Currently reading:
Technical Rear suspension

Almost certainly. It has an improved front suspension and the new Panda chassis improvements will eventually be incorporated into the 500. Probably when they come up with the Mk2.

The Panda has what is currently the state of the art platform.

I'm pretty sure it is.

The ride in our new Panda is far, far better than it was in our old 500 (which was built just before the revised suspension became standard in 2010).

Re the platform - I'm not sure exactly what the plans will be for the 500, but its floorpan is shorter than the new Panda/Ypsilon one. If they decide to increase the size of the 500 slightly then I agree it would make logical sense to go with this one.

Depends how you define platform of course: the wheelbase of the old Panda (and 500) and the new Panda is identical, although the new car is wider and the floorpan is extended at the back for better luggage capacity. The modifications made by Fiat were done as economically as possible, although the new car is more than a simple re-skinning.

Basically the new Panda is just a necessary bit wider and has more boot space. The improved suspension underpinnings could be applied to the 500 very easily without making it any longer as the Panda's extended boot isn't important for the 500.

Last edited:
Platform seems to mean anything from shared wishbones to full structural metalwork. Not sure if the press or marketing departments are to blame.

I am pretty sure the Panda has the ARB. The further upgrades over the 500 supposedly ( I haven't looked) are improved NVH with stiffer subframes and better isolation.

Which is what I would do if I needed to know.

I'm at my dealer later and if I remember I'll take a look.

Depends how you define platform of course: the wheelbase of the old Panda (and 500) and the new Panda is identical, although the new car is wider and the floorpan is extended at the back for better luggage capacity. The modifications made by Fiat were done as economically as possible, although the new car is more than a simple re-skinning.

Basically the new Panda is just a necessary bit wider and has more boot space. The improved suspension underpinnings could be applied to the 500 very easily without making it any longer as the Panda's extended boot isn't important for the 500.

The Ypsilon has a longer wheelbase than the Mk2 Panda by approximately 100mm - I have just parked my Ypsilon next to the Mk2 Panda pool car at work and it's easy to see the difference.

Both the new Panda & Ypsilon ride much better than the previous Panda - certainly less 'choppy' over undulations.

Not sure on the new Panda but there is no rear ARB on the Ypsilon and to be honest, with the torsion beam set-up, I can't see why one would be necessary.

Last edited:
The Ypsilon is certainly built on a longer wheelbase than the others. But I don't think it has the improved front suspension of the new Panda.
They added the ARB to the 500 so that they could modify the twist moment on the suspension beam and offer a more composed ride.

When I looked at the Ypsilon I was slightly put off when I banged my head on the sloping rear door frame, so I couldn't risk letting people get in the back without a warning; and I couldn't face the dashboard. Other than those problems I rather liked it.

I'm pretty sure it has the new front suspension design as the way the front struts are mounted comparing it to our MK2 Panda is different.

I know what you mean about the rear doors on the Ypsilon but had no reported injuries yet! My biggest gripe with the dash is how far the speedo is from the driver but sort of got used to it after 2k miles.

That's interesting. So many cars on one modified platform!

You can get usd to most car oddities except for a seat discomfort and certain types of noise at high speed, IMHO.

Back