Styling Rocker cover spraying????

Currently reading:
Styling Rocker cover spraying????

MintySport

Established member
Hi all, im thinkin bout spraying my rocker to match broom yellow of car with some high temp stuff but was wondering wot procedure is to prep n do it? Wanna go yellow cus gonna get strut brace n spray that yellow too :)

If it hasn't been painted, just clean it with white spirit and a wire brush, stick it in your oven at 50-60 deg C for 20 mins and spray with whatever colour you like to get a nice shiny finish.

in response to earlier comment......put it in the oven!!

1 my mum would freak out if she came to make a shepards pie n saw a lump of fiats finest metal in there!

n 2, what use does putting it in the oven make?? could you then even spray acrylic paint on it, but then surely it would burn off?

Using High Temp paint then Baking it cures the paint..like having to wait for the engine to heat up to do the same thing...and risk damaging the paint surface putting the part on the car!

but cinqsandminis said to put it in the oven first then spray????

could it not be poss to use ordinary acrylic??

wud best poss solution be to whip cover off, clean it with degreaser, let it dry, sand it down bit, spray good thick coat on then bake it in oven for bit?

is it good idea to mask off oil hole and round bottom of cover?

If there is any trace of oil on the cover (which is aluminium and tricky to get paint to stick to) the paint will flake off easily after it has dried. This part of the car doesn't get hot enough to justify using high temp paint, If you clean it properly, prime it then spray it you will do a decent job. Sticking it in the oven at 50 degrees (slightly warmer than your head) will neither damage the paint or cause it to burn, but it will improve adhesion, dry it quicker and give a smoother finish.

Don't bother masking unless it is your first time using an aerosol to spray something....

soooooo, you saying i shud just clean it up, give it rub down with wire brush?? then what primer should i use? grey, white, red oxide? then just spray it with acrylic n bake it for short time n it shouldnt flake off?

is this the kinda thing you are looking at doing??

DSCF0381.jpg

Back