Technical punto mk2 1,4 16V Drainage bolt oil leak

Currently reading:
Technical punto mk2 1,4 16V Drainage bolt oil leak

chris lar1968

Today i changed the engine oil of my punto by my own. Unfortunatelly i overstressed the drainage bolt a little bit and now comes to a tight point but it still continues to turn. After 5 hours (in which i used the car for 1 hour) i saw a small drop just under this bolt (not fallen on the ground). Before i put the bolt i added 3 rings thinking that it sould stop the turn. Do you have any ideas what to do to stop the oil drops? Is it going to become worse? cause i can live with such a small leak.:confused:

ok, new thread!

I don't know what the rings are you're talking about.

how are you going to get the plug out for the next oil change?

i think he means 3 washers

chris lar1968 if you take the bolt out again it might bring all the stripped thread out with it and not work at all
however if it didnt you could try re nipping it with some ptfe tape on the thread

only other alternative is to have an insert fitted into the hole but a garage with this equipment would have to be found

last alternative is a new sump

Your options seem to be

1. Thread repair as suggested (Helicoil or like)
2. Packing out the sump plug like S and B suggested to get the plug to tighten.
3. New sump
4. Some kind of sealant that you would have to remove every time you do an oil change

You can live with any oil leak as long as you can add oil faster than it leaks out ;). But it might be an MOT fail (or your country equivalent).

btw, there is no need to really tighten that bolt up, it's only an oil seal. Bit late for that now though...

Thank you very much for your responses. They are very usefull, propably i will take my car to a work shop and i'll ask to fix it with an insert. I wonder the oil sump is from aluminium or iron? cause if it is the first fixing won't work.

Back