Technical The age old subject of induction kits

Currently reading:
Technical The age old subject of induction kits

ClamChowder

Having picked up my new sporting and enjoyed a couple of days thrashing it round the Yorkshire moors I am now turning my attention to a little gentle modding. Performance only you understand, no bodykits just yet. My experience with motorcycles is that most engines benefit from being allowed to breath a little easier than they do in stock form, and with this in mind I was thinking induction kit, then exhaust.

There is lots of stuff on this forum about K&N kits but I'm not wild about their approach of just sticking the filter on the top of the engine and trying to duct a bit of cold air to it. The one on the GSR Engineering site looks much more promising, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience of other makes (Pipercross, Green Cotton, etc) or indeed if the GSR one performs as well as the graphs suggest.

PS Excuse the length of this post. It's late, and I'm a bit drunk.

Slow in... fast out!

In my experience, induction kits can slow your car down. Im not talking about specifically Cinq's or Sei's, I mean in general.

On the plus side you get a nice growl under acceleration, and occasionally you can notice the car picking up better, perhaps better throttle response.

With more modern cars controlled with electronics, additional air doesnt really benefit you that much. Adding an air filter can bring on the engine management light, and cause the occasional problems like stalling on very hot days in traffic. Im convinced my car's top speed was lower after I added a pipercross.

Still, having said that, although an airfilter wont give you mega new power, if you go on to do additional modifications, you will need a new airfilter to fully unleash the power gains.

My experience with bikes would certainly square with what you're saying. My ZX6r (before I had to sell it boohoo sniff) didn't gain much in overall power with a straight through can but it certainly spun up quicker and seemed a bit more eager in the mid range. This is really what I'm hoping to achieve with the Cinq. As standard it seems to have plenty of pull low down but gets a bit wheezy in the latter half of the tacho, and of course the flat spot at 3 grand has been well documented in these pages. The graphs (www.gsrengineering.com/engineering/pages/products_frm.html) on the GSR website simply show a small power gain and an extra thumping great wodge of torque low down. I am interested tio know how the characteristics of the engine change (spinning up, throttle response etc.) with induction and/or back box.

Slow in... fast out!

i've put a induction kit on my sx, and it made all the difference, it picks up faster and the midrange has more pull, instead of dieing out. it also sounds nice and meaty too.:D i had the thought of just buying a cheap one first to see if it made any difference, that way wouldn't be wasting as much dosh, so i opted for the max power induction kit, was only about 34 quid. all it is, is just a cone filter. i removed my old air box and modded the original pipe from the injector unit, to my old box, so that the induction cone would fit on air tight. that way i still got all my breathers attached to it. its awesome now when i toe it. although its still a 900cc. now i'm thinking of upgrading it, any sudgestions?

karl
96 cinq 900 sx

The current intake for the airbox appears to end between the front of the engine bay and the bodywork, so it's just sucking passive air as there is no vent in front of it.

There is a vent further down the front bumper roughly level with where the horn sits inside. Is this where you rig the air ducting for the 57i from as it presumably needs to have the air forced into it since it won't be able to suck like the standard box. Short of putting vents in the bonnet I can't see any other way of getting cold air to the top of the engine.

Slow in... fast out!

My mate has just bought a filter for his Astra 1.4 (..and yes, I can blow him away! Much to his frustration!) and it didnt come with any ducting. He was in B&Q the other day and happened across some ducting pipe, just like what comes with a K&N in the kit (Flexible in lengh) but its about 3 inches wide. Lot better quality too.

Going back to fitting a K&N, I had my airbox off the other day and noticed that there was too really small fine pipes that go under the air box and fit onto small holes. One pipe goes to the intake pipe that comes from the front of the pipe and the other (with a brown tip) goes to something behind the throttle bodie? Any ideas? I know the rest of the stuff I need to do to fit a filter but these two pipes are really buggin me as I have no idea what they do? My mate suggested just taping them up and seeing if my car still works, not the best idea! He does drive an astra though....you must excuse him!

u bung up the one with the brown tip.
u get a bung in the k&n kit

joe

Seicento Sporting 2000 X
Black
Black Front and Side Indicaters
Pioneer DCEH8400 HeadUnit + JBL speakers 6x9 in parcel shelf, 10cm in front, 10" Sub and GTO4000 AMP(600Watt).
Abarth badges all round from abarthbadges.co.uk

dunno, fixit, any help here?

it must be something the standard box needs for effiency maybe, but k&n renders it useless.

joe

Seicento Sporting 2000 X
Black
Black Front and Side Indicaters
Pioneer DCEH8400 HeadUnit + JBL speakers 6x9 in parcel shelf, 10cm in front, 10" Sub and GTO4000 AMP(600Watt).
Abarth badges all round from abarthbadges.co.uk

i'm thinking off modding my induction kit. i've had the idea of putting a funnel of some time, around my cone, with the air ducting pipe conected to it, therfore forcing more air around the whole cone and it would also stop the warm air from around the engine getting to it, thus lots of nice cold air :D. anyone think it would work? any more ideas? i just want to try and get more out of my induction.
all suggestions welcome and appritiated. :)

karl
96 cinq 900 sx

If i were to get another induction kit i would go for an enclosed filter i.e. BMC's carbon airbox like Si has or Pipercross's VFC.
There is too much hot air under a Cinq/Sei's bonnet from the stupidly high running temperature and pissy little radiator, for any sort filter to work 100%.
With an enclosed filter it would suck loads of lovely cold air straight from the bumper and into the engine.

It were proper Bo i tell thee!!​

Back