General Mileage reading - accurate or suspect ?

Currently reading:
General Mileage reading - accurate or suspect ?

DobloDenizen

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and this is my first posting. Recently purchased an 05 Doblo with only 80,000 miles on the clock. It seems fine but then i saw a tv documentary about lots of vehicles are 'clocked' with dodgy readings on their mile-ometer.
I also saw something on the tv that shows that you hunt for clues of the real mileage in the wear & tear of the drivers seat, the pedals, and other internal cues ? So, Do you trust your mileage readings ? What level of wear & tear corresponds to your readings ? I suspect my vehicle is ok, but just wanted any opinions or stories from other doblo owners.
For starters, my 80,000 miles has a brake pedal with some metal showing on the side but otherwise still covered in rubber, The bag around the gear stick is also slightly worn but still in pretty good shape.

any thoughts ? reflections or indicators of high mileage that are immediately apparent in your vehicle ?

Only real way to check is through the full service history and MOT history of the car (y)

Sometimes.
Bloke I used to know bought his 3y/o ex fleet car (as he was the only one who ever drove it). It had its first service and MOT before he took full ownership. After that, just before the service/MOT he would pull the clocks and wind back the mileage. He was losing about 10k per year. when he eventually sold it, he nipped to the breakers yard & bought a set of pedal rubbers (new ones would be suspect).
Every service and MOT showed the doctored mileage.
Not sure I could be bothered to do all that, although he reckoned the resale value was a bit higher and his insurance was a bit cheaper.

Sometimes.
Bloke I used to know bought his 3y/o ex fleet car (as he was the only one who ever drove it). It had its first service and MOT before he took full ownership. After that, just before the service/MOT he would pull the clocks and wind back the mileage. He was losing about 10k per year. when he eventually sold it, he nipped to the breakers yard & bought a set of pedal rubbers (new ones would be suspect).
Every service and MOT showed the doctored mileage.
Not sure I could be bothered to do all that, although he reckoned the resale value was a bit higher and his insurance was a bit cheaper.

Back in the day I suppose it was possible, but these days with the clocks being digital its certainly not as easy. Like you say, a lot of money for the hassle IMO also :p

interior condition doesnt mean anything now days imo, my punto jtd has 150,000 on the clock, the seats are mint, the carpet is mint, steering wheel is not worn, etc, on the other hand, the amount stone chips on the bonnet, lower wings and sills show its really done 150,000

thanks for all the advice so far.
For clarification, my vehicle lived in the Uk for approximately a year. It was then imported into ireland whereupon its mileage was recorded online and seems to have had accurate annual increments.....from a very low starting point. The suspicion is around this 'very low starting point'
The original UK registration is lost, my question is : was it used as a taxi for a year in the UK and then 'electronically whitewashed' & exported ? The vehicle seems ok, but then, what would i know ?

Back