Technical 899 cooling issues

Currently reading:
Technical 899 cooling issues

cheeky cinqy

when i start my 899 all is well but after its warmed up to 90c it crries on getting hotter this is after being stood for 2 years :bang:, i put this down to either the thermostat or the rad needs flushing but i have drained and refilled the expansion tank and will flush the rad pronto, could this also be down to the thermostat being stuck also wheres the temp sensor on 899 cinq engine or shall i follow the wire from the side of the rad (y)

The temperature sensor for the gauge is on the front corner of the cylinder head at the belt end.
The fan is switched by the old style thermo-switch on the side of the rad.

no the fan dont turn on at all thats why i wanted to find out where the temp sensor is lol and could it be the thermostat or is that nothing to do with the fan cheers guys x:p

If the rad is still cold (or cool) when the engine is over 90 then the stat is suspect.
If however the rad is hot when the gauge is well over 90 when you need to look at the fan circuit.
I'm not sure at what temperature the fan switch works, but it will be over 90, not at 90.

Last edited:
Check that the fan is working by shorting the switch connector with a paperclip. If the paperclip glows, a) don't touch it, and b) the fan is seized.

This assumes you've checked the fuse is intact and live first.

Cheers

D

The temperature sensor for the gauge is on the front corner of the cylinder head at the belt end.
The fan is switched by the old style thermo-switch on the side of the rad.
To dust of an old topic ;)

What does the sensor do on the thermostat housing?

Back