Technical How do I get a radio code and will the radio even work in the USA?

Currently reading:
Technical How do I get a radio code and will the radio even work in the USA?

atikovi

I got this '97 Barchetta that belonged to an Italian diplomat and the radio is in safe mode. To get the code do I have to pull out the radio and get the serial number or can it be looked up by the car's VIN? And will any FIAT dealer in the UK give me the code over the phone or do I have to call an Italian dealer? I don't speak Italian. And will the radio even work here? Are the frequencies the same in Europe as in the USA?

Yes radio frequencies will work in US. Can't see any reason why Fiat wouldn't give you the radio code if your the registered keeper but never tried myself.

I've just done this in the UK. I took the radio out and put the code into several of the online radio code sites on the web but none could help. In the end a Fiat main dealer was able to get me the code from the VIN. He charged £40.

I talked to a UK dealer and was told since the car is an Italian market car, only an Italian Fiat dealer has access to the code. £40 to get the code at a Fiat dealer? YIKES! Over here I've taken Mercedes radios to the dealer for a code and they never charge me anything.

£40 is quite steep but it's the only working cassette player I still own. Where else would I play all those 1980s mix tapes?

Hi There, I've just visited my Fiat main dealer to source a code for my Barchetta but they said they could only go back 10 years! Is it a standard code that resets all radio cassettes as I would like to keep mine original

Hi there, as much as I understand your answer, you would be surprised that some manufacturers use a standard four zero or four ones (1's) to reset their entire model range of car stereos! :)

A little off topic but....Is it only by being owned by a diplomat that the Barchetta i in the US, or is there a way to get one in? I'm moving to FL in about 18 months and want to take my B with me, but need help in getting it there.

Just a thought...when car radios were brought in with code settings, naughty boys would get them to re-set by removing them and putting them in the freezer for a couple or three hours! :eek:
Those were the same naughty boys who used to open cars that they must've thought were theirs but weren't, then remove some items that they thought were...if you get my drift ;) 'slim jim' would be one of their best mates.
It used to work with early mobile 'phones as well.
Worth a try if all else fails.

if you don't have the code and it asks after it you're screwed.
Buy another that has no code on it or get some that has the code with it.

Scallywag630, no other way to get one in the USA, I'm even surprised that they allowed it to be sold, must be some diplomatic agreement thing, anyway, the car needs to be 25 years old before it's allowed in the US, 15 for Canada.

Anyway, I'm not sure I would want to drive a B in Florida, have you seen the size of the Pick-up's and SUV's there and they are not the best drivers !!!

Scallywag630, no other way to get one in the USA, I'm even surprised that they allowed it to be sold, must be some diplomatic agreement thing, anyway, the car needs to be 25 years old before it's allowed in the US, 15 for Canada.

Anyway, I'm not sure I would want to drive a B in Florida, have you seen the size of the Pick-up's and SUV's there and they are not the best drivers !!!

Seen it all...lived there for 7 years and plan to return. Shame I can't take the B but someone here will have fun with it.

Seen it all...lived there for 7 years and plan to return. Shame I can't take the B but someone here will have fun with it.
My Mom has a home in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area, where would you be going, you can come up to Canada and drive mine in the summer, if you get lonely for it :)

My house is in Cape Coral, west of Ft.Myers...Thats a really nice offer..thanks. Its a shame the US will not allow the B in, although, on reflection, mine does not have aircon.....lol

Back