Technical Replacement Windscreen

Currently reading:
Technical Replacement Windscreen

Well the time has come for a replacement screen after a nice crack appearing. I'm trying to bag a genuine Fiat screen after being advised by my insurance company recently that ALL replacement parts will be genuine Fiat parts.

The screen atm in the car is the origional and made by a company called Surkata (Or something like that). Now apparently the firm being used use Pilkinton screens, now as Fiat haven't used these screens origionally and having had nothing but bad luck with replacement screens on other motors I weary of using anything that isn't OEM.

So question is, as I know Fiat will use who-ever they want at the time of manufacture and it can vary accross the life span of vehicle manufacture, has anyone got a Fiat branded Pilkington screen (stamped Fiat in the bottom left of the screen (RHD)).

Also, one more for the tech guys, especially any Fiat workers, are there any specific tasks that have to be completed to ensure the screen is fitted properly with a secure fit to maintain the vehicles integrity in the event of a headon smash?

Cheers, Jon.

I have a LHD and in the bottom right corner it shows being Pilkington and the Fiat logo (although being FIAT written in the four squares).

Mine is a July 2006 Stilo, but bought it second hand, so don't now if it is the original one.

I am just wondering why Fiat would have two suppliers for glass. My windscreen is from Saint Gobain (French) and the rest is from Pilkington, which until 2006 was a Uk company. (Now own by the NSG Group)

Will it be a case of the cheapest supplier with the best product, or the best supplier for the best product? That said both companies have a long history in the glass industry.

Gerhard.

Attachments

• Driver Side Window.jpg
    Driver Side Window.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Front windscreen.jpg
    Front windscreen.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 39
I am just wondering why Fiat would have two suppliers for glass. My windscreen is from Saint Gobain (French) and the rest is from Pilkington, which until 2006 was a Uk company. (Now own by the NSG Group)

Will it be a case of the cheapest supplier with the best product, or the best supplier for the best product? That said both companies have a long history in the glass industry.

Gerhard.

Ive had a quick google but can't find much on it, I wonder what the difference between E1 & E6 is :confused:

Ive had a quick google but can't find much on it, I wonder what the difference between E1 & E6 is :confused:
I just did a Google search, found this thread within seconds ;) Post 8

http://www.autocar.co.uk/forums/p/15720/144464.aspx

"The E code (with a capital 'E') is used for cars in European countries, and indicates the country that certified the windshield. It is a circle with the capital letter E followed by a number. The codes are assigned by the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe.
E1 Germany E2 France E3 Italy
E4 Netherlands E5 Sweden E6 Belgium"

:)

EDIT - an even better link: http://www.carwindshields.info/windshieldmarkings.htm

What search terms did you use? ;)

Last edited:
No I understand why my Stilo acts the way it does. It's confused, back window say E1 = Germany and front wind screen say E6 = Belgium, with some Italian stuff in between. :devil:

I just did a Google search, found this thread within seconds ;) Post 8

http://www.autocar.co.uk/forums/p/15720/144464.aspx

"The E code (with a capital 'E') is used for cars in European countries, and indicates the country that certified the windshield. It is a circle with the capital letter E followed by a number. The codes are assigned by the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe.
E1 Germany E2 France E3 Italy
E4 Netherlands E5 Sweden E6 Belgium"

:)

EDIT - an even better link: http://www.carwindshields.info/windshieldmarkings.htm

What search terms did you use? ;)

My mate has a BMW (E46) which has three brands of glass, all fitted at source: Saint Gobain (Sekurit) Pilkington and Splintex (known more these days as AGC).

The glass manufacturers are all in a fiercely competitive industry where the Chinese market is showing signs of turning everything around. For example, Pilkington (as previously mentioned) is now owned by Nippon Safety Glass and as well as still maintaining plants in Europe, NSG (under different brand names which includes Pilks) has a strong presence in China.

Fu-Yao (or FY) is the new kid in town as far as OEMs are concerned. Have a look at a newly plated Jaguar XF, or a LR Freelander; BMW Mini Coupe, or how about Audi, Subaru... OEMs will change the glass manufacturer from one day to the next.

Whether you go for Aftermarket or OEM branded, the most important aspect of that piece of glass is how it is fitted and by whom. Yes, there may be some very slight (and arguable) quality differences in the finish of AM/OEM windscreens but in most cases, you'd be hard pushed to find one!

IMHO and IME, the best brands have been Sekurit and Pilks, but FY is getting amongst the top players, just like Guardian, Shatterprufe, Toglass, AGC et al are all upping the anti to have a 'crack' at the title.

Thanks for that glassman. Very informative.

Just an update for all, replacement Pilkington screen is being fitted on Saturday, and after a discussion with the complaints dept with my insurance company about me being previously misinformed by an advisor about it being an OEM screen fitted my excess has been waived. :)

Gerhard.

I've replaced 2 windscreens so far from the OEM one. The answer to why FIAT have chosen 2 different brands is the money. Some people may make different types of glasses and some won't. For example, the small screen on the 5 door, right next to the boot glass has always been made just by Pilkington. Throughout the production of the cars, different large providers constantly make offers to companies for Glass parts, as all are. So some have Sekurit, some have Pilkington. My OEM was Pilkington, my father's is Sekurit.

What I would look out for is to put the glass in at a top place, regardless of a few pennies more. They put mine in tensioned and cracked the next day. They never admitted it was their fault, although I had 2 separate cracks on both sides, one going down, one up, that started from a rock smaller than a niddle head.

I had to do it there again, because the insurance didn't have many places to do it at, but the second time I got lucky.

And the last tip, don't go on long drives immediately after the replacement. If the silicon is wet there is a chance to bend on pot holes or speed bumps.

Cheers.

Back