General A busy day!

Currently reading:
General A busy day!

As the Mrs was at work and the weather looked ok, I decided to do a few jobs on the car. Firstly I fitted a HID kit (55w 6000k), then I cleaned the MAP sensor. You couldn't actually see the element it was so clogged up! After lunch I fitted a 'design Giugiaro' badge on the drivers side, as mine only had one on the near side for some reason. Still looking for a 2nd Prestigio badge, as these only seem to be fitted on one side from the factory. My final job of the day was to remove the driver's door panel and replace the red alarm led (which wasn't working anyway) with a blue one. Looks the business now. A very satisfactory day off :O)

i was wondering about the prestigio badge as mine only had one on as well, did not realise this is how they came from factory, i just thought it was missing for some reason. i purchased one from fiat, i think it was about £7

After lunch I fitted a 'design Giugiaro' badge on the drivers side, as mine only had one on the near side for some reason. Still looking for a 2nd Prestigio badge, as these only seem to be fitted on one side from the factory.
I used to think my Dynamic had been in an accident and not had the badge replaced on one side, but you are right, I found out they only fit them to one side...must be cost cutting by the Fiat bean counters.

Well you're a happy chap! They are not illegal at the moment and I had them set up at my local MOT station, so they don't dazzle. Get your facts straight before you make unsubstantiated claims.
I also fitted led's to the door 'puddle lights' - do you have a problem with that as well?!

HIDeous front lights. You can look forward to everyone coming the other way giving you full beam, or the car in front putting their rear fog lights on. As I do when they burn my retinas out.

It will fail the MOT if they don't have automatic level adjusters.

I am not going to turn this into a major bitching session! I just thought I would share my day with you, whereas a couple of you obviously have a problem with after market HID's! I do too, when they are not fitted correctly. Please don't tar everyone with the same brush. After-market HID's are a huge business, not just on ebay, but through reputable high street stores! The minority ruin it for everyone else.

As far as I'm aware the Croma never came with protector headlamp units, if so then fair enough they can be setup correctly, however they cannot in reflector or refractor lenses, this is fact. It's to do with the UV output, science can't be changed and light will behave in the same maner no matter who's fitted what, so it's hardly taring everyone with the same brush when a comment I've made is factual.

I've nothing against you fitting LEDs in your puddle lights btw (y)

ive got hid's in my fiat coupe and fiat multipla and have both passed mot's with them in...and no i dont use crooked/bent testing stations before that gets mentioned. some stupid people do put them in and dont set them up correctly but done right they make a huge difference. good on ya for fitting them...hope they are a vast improvement over the originals.

Last edited:
then I cleaned the MAP sensor. You couldn't actually see the element it was so clogged up!

Now this is interesting.

The Croma is the first Turbo car I have ever had. From new/1st service I commented to the technicians that there was oil film around the turbo hoses and evidence inside.

They said this was normal. If you are not losing loads of oil, smoking etc then all Fiat turbos they see have evidence of small amounts of presence outside and inside of the unit and outlet hose.

If you read the Garret website/other sites they claim this should not happen.

So who is right. I suspect both are.

Given a modest oil turbo bypass then the air reaching the MAF will be oil contaminated and thus the clogging you have noticed.

Any Croma owners got a petrol turbo car? and can comment on turbo oil leaks?

In a petrol turbo car, the intercooler pipes always have a film of oil and the intercooler will have some oil in it. If you thoroughly clean them out it reappears within a few weeks! I think diesels are the same.
On a different note, I did almost a hundred miles today, after cleaning the map sensor and the car is completely transformed!! What a difference 10 minutes maintenance makes. :O)

ive got hid's in my fiat coupe and fiat multipla and have both passed mot's with them in...and no i dont use crooked/bent testing stations before that gets mentioned. some stupid people do put them in and dont set them up correctly but done right they make a huge difference. good on ya for fitting them...hope they are a vast improvement over the originals.

Well you would have passed an MOT, but HIDs are so "last year".

New MOT regulations from 1st January 2012:

Dazzle can also be caused if the lamps are dirty or aimed too high due to, for example, carrying rear seat passengers and/or heavy items in the boot. Vehicles with HID headlamps are therefore required to have a headlamp washing system (a wiper is not required) and be self levelling, which may be achieved either by the use of either headlamp or suspension levelling systems.

The presence and operation of these headlamp cleaning and levelling devices has been added to the test. Therefore, if a mandatory headlamp levelling or cleaning device is missing, inoperative or otherwise obviously defective, the vehicle will fail.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...xZEyrO&sig=AHIEtbS5W8tiFe7gykiCFYLJM_IMlIkd4g

Now this is interesting.

The Croma is the first Turbo car I have ever had. From new/1st service I commented to the technicians that there was oil film around the turbo hoses and evidence inside.

They said this was normal. If you are not losing loads of oil, smoking etc then all Fiat turbos they see have evidence of small amounts of presence outside and inside of the unit and outlet hose.

If you read the Garret website/other sites they claim this should not happen.

So who is right. I suspect both are.

Given a modest oil turbo bypass then the air reaching the MAF will be oil contaminated and thus the clogging you have noticed.

Any Croma owners got a petrol turbo car? and can comment on turbo oil leaks?

Nick:

the OP is talking about the MAP sensor (Boost Sensor), not the MAF. Also, the MAF is upstream of the turbo and cannot become oil contaminated by anything the turbo kicks out.

Some oil misting from the output side of the turbo is common although not ideal; unless it is causing problems (oil consumption wise) then it should be regarded as normal wear and tear once a few years / miles have passed.

In a perfect world there should be no oil loss, but in a perfect world Cromas wouldn't exist...:D

Hope this helps.

Nick:

the OP is talking about the MAP sensor (Boost Sensor), not the MAF. Also, the MAF is upstream of the turbo and cannot become oil contaminated by anything the turbo kicks out.

Oooop. Yes you are 100% right. Silly me.

I clean my MAP regularly and also know the MAF is on the turbo inlet side by the air box.

Must have been something I ate or drank :D

Anyway at least we have a confirmation the turbos of petrol and diesel cars leak small amounts of oil. I clean mine up every time I do an oil change. Takes about 10 minutes with old towel/flannel & some gunk or white spirit.

On the back side of theplenum chamber about halfway along, beteen the back of the EGR valve and the back of the fuel pressure/return regulator. Single bolt fixing (kex socket head). Has small internal 'O' ring. Connector points upward and has RHS cable entry. Lift the little yellow tab up to unlock the connector before attempting to pull it off.

Best done with engine warm as the closeby rubber pipes then easily defeflect to allow hex key access.

I've cleaned mine with neat diesel fuel and also brake cleaning. No issues at all. Put a thin smear of moly grease around 'O'ring before replacing.

WARNING! DO NOT poke inside the plastic cage head as there is a floating wired component just inside (probably a temperature measuring device).

Last edited:
Back