General Fuel cap

Currently reading:
General Fuel cap

snes

Okay, I realise that posting this makes me sound seriously lacking, but........
I'm having issues with my Multijet fuel cap.

It comes off no probs with just a twist of the key, but replacing it takes me ages. I've either got a flaky fuel cap, or my technique is (seriously) lacking.

Is it really tricky or is it just me impersonating a plank?

In my experience you just put the cap back in, twist it, then turn the key, close the flap = job done! I've had now two fiats and had no problems with the fuel cap. But, saying that, your might be faulty... best to check it out at the dealers if it gives you that much trouble

Okay, I realise that posting this makes me sound seriously lacking, but........
I'm having issues with my Multijet fuel cap.

It comes off no probs with just a twist of the key, but replacing it takes me ages. I've either got a flaky fuel cap, or my technique is (seriously) lacking.

Is it really tricky or is it just me impersonating a plank?

You're not the only one that struggles. I must try Melanabb's simple advice of twisting it first and then turning the key. That must be where I've being going wrong for the last 3 years.:eek:

In my experience you just put the cap back in, twist it, then turn the key, close the flap = job done! I've had now two fiats and had no problems with the fuel cap. But, saying that, your might be faulty... best to check it out at the dealers if it gives you that much trouble

This is what I do - and it works first time, every time. :D

I'm never sure whether to twist or not - maybe thats my prob. On my old car, turning the key would then twist the mech to lock it in place.

I think that I expect the 500 to be likewise - so thanks Mel and Flo, your advice may do the trick!

I also expect that there is a whole section in the manual explaining all this, had I bothered to look...... :eek:

I'm never sure whether to twist or not - maybe thats my prob. On my old car, turning the key would then twist the mech to lock it in place.

I think that I expect the 500 to be likewise - so thanks Mel and Flo, your advice may do the trick!

I also expect that there is a whole section in the manual explaining all this, had I bothered to look...... :eek:

As Mel & Flo have said, the key is for locking, the handle is for removing and replacing. Make sure the cap is unlocked before you attempt to refit it, don't turn the key until it's back in place, then, holding the cap, turn the key to lock it.

And remember when refuelling that you can hang the cap up on the nifty little hook provided :). For those not aware of this handy design feature, have a look here:

https://www.fiatforum.com/500/242830-top-tips-handover-please-2.html?p=2538886

Last edited:
What worries me is the nifty little idiot who finds a fuel cap challenging....... :)

I have only had my fiat for 2 weeks and filled
up twice and I'm having problems too. Takes
me a good 5 mins to get back on

Welcome to the forums Shazza.

And welcome to the fuel cap fumblers club!

Can you share any pix of your lovely new 500?

as above i twist the cap until you hear it clicking when you twist then lock with the key

didn't know about the nifty hook i must say :eek: will use it next time i refuel

OMG ive never noticed the little hook, will make a point of looking for that next time i fill up! Yeap i have had trouble with the petrol cap sometimes still do, its when i think about it i cant do it lol!

Back