Technical Engine Management Light!

Currently reading:
Technical Engine Management Light!

Elsen

Hey all,
Having a bit of a panic - randomly this evening my engine management light popped on.
Car is a 2007 Panda, and it's a Friday night which means I'm probably screwed re: mechanics et al.
Can anyone offer me any advice or help or just....ideas of what on earth I might have that's wrong?
Replies REALLY appreciated!!!
Sophie

Yea it seems to be running fine but it was only a 15, 20 minute journey.

I'm paranoid about going out in it just in case!

Will it have to be a dealer I take it to? The one near me is to be honest diabolical, they tried to screw me over for a service a couple of years back so I haven't been back since.

What's the sort of, worst case scenario with this light? I tend to like to know the worst as it were...

Ace thank you for the reply.

My usual mechanic doesn't work Saturdays so I rang Warrington Motors...£85 + VAT for the diagnostic, the woman on the phone was a bitch and I couldn't even get it checked til Monday AND it would take the full day.

Thieving Bastards.

Rang Halfords, I can take it down whenever I want during the day today, they'll look at it for £50 all included and the man was friendly and helpful.

THIS is why I hate that dealership.

Halfords? Yikes!
Is the light still on? Often you'll find that stopping the car, switching off, pausing a moment and then restarting will put the light out. If that's whats happened for you then wait 'till Monday and see your regular guy who's probably cheaper again. Often the light is just an advisory and not pointing to something major. try it and see.
Trust Most Easterly, he knows (almost) everything and has a spare Panda under his kitchen table :p

Get yourself a fault reader. I got one for £20. they are easy to use, connecting to the OBD socket behind the panel by your right knee when driving (held on with 2 screws). It comes with a pamphlet listing all the codes and the faults they indicate. You can reset the MIL too.

If the car is running fine, really, don't worry. Mine frequently comes on indicating an EGR fault. I reset it now and again but it comes on again, sometimes in about 15minutes, sometimes after 300 miles if I'm going long distance on the motorway. It's been doing it for over 12 months.

You'll have to clear it for MoT test though, since Jan 2012, NO fault lights are allowed, even 'airbag' which used to be an advisory.

For what is 10-15min hassle free work I think £20 should be all places charge for code reading imo. I know they've overheads etc but I can't see how they justify what they charge imo. (n)

Even more so when you consider that they're quite likely to get some additional work out of the repair.

£50 to read a fault code is way too much (n).

Depends what you are paying for, if you are just paying for a code read, what good is that to a member of the public? Fault codes can be misleading, interpreting the codes and parameters available is where the technical knowledge is priceless. A fault code reader in the hands of Joe Public can be much more expensive in the long run, than an experts charge.

Hello there,
Just seen this (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Android-To...item19c9ec554f). Do you know if it will work on an 07 MJ Panda, please? It is not listed, and I don't know about the OBD bit. I will have to get a manual. Do you know if the manuals cover fault code testing? I just don't want to do any damage. My poor car is on it's second engine and body ecus due to someone messing up fitting a tow bar! (I didn't have to pay for it).
Many thanks,
Richard.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Well, you should have started your own thread rather than jumping on somebody else's, but the link you posted is for an item which has been removed. What's wrong with the one put up by Andy Monty which definitely will work for you?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Android-To...item19c9ec554f

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back