Technical "Change Engine Oil" on EVO JTD 85

Currently reading:
Technical "Change Engine Oil" on EVO JTD 85

LMarr

Hi all

My Punto Evi JTD (DPF) started flashing the "Change Engine Oil" when my milage was at 30.200 km.

I went to the garage, and they changed the oil to this one:
ELF SOLARIS LLX 5W-30
http://www.lubadmin.com/upload/produit/FichePDF/lang_4/5094.pdf

But they couldn't stop the engine management from flashing the warning (Change Engine Oil) via the ODB.

After half an hour they gave up, and decided "you probably have to drive 30 minuttes, and then it will stop flashing"....
My drive home was 1 hour, and it didn't stop flashing :-(

Whyyyyyyyy ???

And how the h... do I make it stop ?

As far as I can see the oil does meet the oil requirements...

In a Serbian forum I forund an explanation that talkes about DPF cycles needing a reset ... And no mention about the oil...
So how do you know that its possible to reset the oil-change status? Are you just guessing....?

Oil degradation counter, Andy. ;)

Basically, LMarr, you need to find a garage/Dealer who have a clue about modern diesels, before you end-up with a clogged DPF or a seized engine.

According to that link, the ELF oil is ACEA C3 spec, not the ACEA C2 spec that is needed for the diesels, especially with DPF. You ideally need this changed to something that better matches Fiat's Selenia WR Pure Energy-

http://www.flitalia.it/en/fl/manuale/en/omot_0201.htm

Basically, LMarr, you need to find a garage/Dealer who have a clue about modern diesels, before you end-up with a clogged DPF or a seized engine.

According to that link, the ELF oil is ACEA C3 spec, not the ACEA C2 spec that is needed for the diesels, especially with DPF. You ideally need this changed to something that better matches Fiat's Selenia WR Pure Energy-

Thanx for the answer :)

and..... CRAP.... They ELF oil wasn't cheap :-(

When I read my instructionsmanual it says that the engine requires ACEA C3 oil, and specifically NOT C2....

So maybe the ELF Solaris LLX 5-30W is OK ?

This situation is really crap, and today I have booked a time at the nearest FIAT dealer - so they can reset the fu..... oil-warning (and stop my DPF from clocking up!) :-(
The garage that put the ELF oil on the car, and couldn't turn off the oil-warning, says that 1/ the oil is OK, and 2/ I have to visit FIAT (and pay for) to turn the warning off...

Crappy situation for a simple oilchange :-(

The petrol engined models need ACEA C3, Diesels must have C2 as a minimum due to the low ash content for DPF's. I wouldn't believe your garage, as they don't want to change the oil again for free.

This is what the UK manuals say, specifically the bottom paragraph-

Oil specs.JPG

The petrol engined models need ACEA C3, Diesels must have C2 as a minimum due to the low ash content for DPF's. I wouldn't believe your garage, as they don't want to change the oil again for free.

This is what the UK manuals say, specifically the bottom paragraph-

View attachment 99250

The same thing as the danish manual says...
And it seemes that C3 is better that C2, and ELF in Denmark says that the Solaris Oil DOES live up to the standards required by my engine/Fiat...

At least, IF my engine (or DPF) breakes down, I have something in writing from ELF-Denmark stating that their oil is supposed to be good enough :)

Btw, I managed to get the local Fiat dealer to turn the warning off .. I had to book my 35.000-service at their garage, but since that is in a couple of weeks, its ok :)

At least, IF my engine (or DPF) breakes down, I have something in writing from ELF-Denmark stating that their oil is supposed to be good enough :)
Follow up:
And now I have had the nearest Fiat dealer til change oil at 60.000 km.

And guess what?!

I just discovered that they yesterday put 5w-40 oil on my engine!
That certainly sounds like "petrol oil" and NOT oil for my diesel engine :-(
(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)

I will absolutely get back to this forum with an update tommorow.....!

Back