Technical windscreen replacement

Currently reading:
Technical windscreen replacement

steven303

some youth/yob broke into my car though the rear passenger door window try to steal my stereo/amp/speakers and failed so discide to put his foot though my wind screen how easy is it to replace the front windscreen with another one from the scap yard or would it be better to claim it off my insurance for £70 excess butdunno if i will lose my no claims

im really tight on cash atm so need the best option

You won't lose your no claims but if you have a protected no claims then windscreen claims count towards the 3-4 claims you are allowed in a (I think it's) 3 year period, dependant on company

£70 for a new one is possibly slightly more expencive (only very slightly) but is going to be much better than a scrap yard job.

Last edited:
you wont get the screen out especially if its the original screen if you arent practised at it because its in with lots of sealent
if your insurance doesnt cover it then see if scrapyard man has a mobile fitter willing to take screen out in his yard out of your car and refit and at what cost
£50 would be reasonable all in

There small independent windscreen companies are often the cheapest. Get on Yellow pages Google etc and see what turns up.

In the meantime dont leave tempting electronics on show. Even if they don't manage to steal anything, the damage caused is often far worse. But you already know that. :(

got my insurance guy sorting it out tomoz just tryin to get the rear passenger door glass in but it seems it wont wiggle in or go in place is theresomewierd way it goes in

got my insurance guy sorting it out tomoz just tryin to get the rear passenger door glass in but it seems it wont wiggle in or go in place is theresomewierd way it goes in

if its an early punto rear door 5 door?
say 2001 then you may have to unbolt the runner on one side

as regards getting the new glass in you have to get it so its just right or it wont go in
ive only swapped one over once a few months back and i too thought how the heck does this glass go in here then i put one corner right near the b post side and it just went in

Punto screens are bonded (directly glazed to the chassis). Although not impossible to do yourself, it is a task best carried out by a professional.

The rear drop glass will go in, but they are a very tight fit - the angle has to be just right (offer the glass in from the inside of the door). As S and B suggests, some extra stripping will make it easier.

Back