Technical Failed MOT High Emissions.

Currently reading:
Technical Failed MOT High Emissions.

GazzaPenk

Hi All,

New here so sorry if this is covered elsewhere. Had an MOT this morning on a Stilo Dynamic 1.6 and all emission readings were 9.9% so failed across the board.

I've read some post about injector cleaners etc wonder if these would make that much difference? The car has been sitting on my drive for a year now without being properly driven I wonder if a good run out will sort it out or if it something more serious?

Any help will appreciated.

Cheers Gaz

its worth a try, mine failed with high emissions, but was quite close to the limit.
i ran one of the cleaners through, took it for a drive at high revs and then took it into the MOT well warmed up, the MOT tester did the emission test 1st while still very hot, and it got through no problems.

dunno if it was the cleaner or just getting it MOT'd while hot that did it, but the cleaner costs less than £5, so cant hurt to try it.

yep, give the car a good run with fresh quality petrol and an ijector cleaner in the correct ratio mix. No point in running more cleaner thinking it will work better, it doesn't. and next time you test it make sure the engine is warmed up by doing at least 15miles before the test.

Got it through the MOT just some Redex and a good run sorted it all.

Only problem now is a loose battery terminal, anyone know where I can source a new terminal?

Cheers

Sorry I didn't explain fully one of the bolts was sheared off through my over tightening

You could use an ordinary 6mm bolt but I think the original bolts have a flat square head to prevent them turning when loosening/tightening the nuts. Not a problem on the negative terminal clamp because you can get a second spanner on it but the positive one would be hidden under the master fuse board when fitted.

If it's the positive one that's broken use the negative terminal bolt and fit an ordinary bolt to the negative terminal clamp.

I have an appointment for MOT test next week. What do you suggest I should put in the tank? Octane booster or injection cleaner?

I have an appointment for MOT test next week. What do you suggest I should put in the tank? Octane booster or injection cleaner?

Change the oil, then fill up with Shell Vpower (the high octane/Cetane increases cylinder temperature to help burn off the crap, heat the cat and lambda) and add some Redex, then give it a good run 70mph 4th gear, that'll give it a good clean :)
Also make sure you have a new or clean air filter in.

Last edited:
Back