General Fiat 500 1.3 Multijet Questions?

Currently reading:
General Fiat 500 1.3 Multijet Questions?

das18

I am thinking of getting the Fiat 500 1.3 16v multijet and want to know if it a good/comfortable car as I drive 60 miles each day. I do a mixture of country/dual carriage way driving.

Has any body got one and what do they think of this version, is it comfortable for long distances and have good mpg etc?

Thanks in advance

I am thinking of getting the Fiat 500 1.3 16v multijet and want to know if it a good/comfortable car as I drive 60 miles each day. I do a mixture of country/dual carriage way driving.

Has any body got one and what do they think of this version, is it comfortable for long distances and have good mpg etc?

Thanks in advance

Suprisingly comfy cruiser at motorway speeds, after having mid sized cars I thought it may be a bit jittery on the motorway but it's perfectly fine.
As for mpg that's great when the engine is warmed up, not so great but acceptable on sub 3 mile journeys.

Had out 1.3mjd for almost 18 months now, covered around 6,000miles. Mostly it is driven in central london or on the motorway.

At slow speeds on poor roads the ride is fidgety, with it being a small car it has it's limits.

Around the 40-70mph range is when I feel its most effective, wind noise is relatively subdued and the mpg rises noticeably. Because of long gearing at 60mph it's only turning over at just over 2,000rpm but put your foot down and it doesnt half move. I dont drive much in this range but 60mpg is easily achievable. Once i was coming home on the M4/ A4 and the traffic started to slow below 70mph so I drove for 25 miles or so at 70/ 60/ 50/ 40/ 30 reducing all the time... it did 76mpg.

At motorway speeds (well mine anyway!!!) the mpg drops off more than i expected (85mph crusing approx 50mpg) and noise increases. I don't think the high speed aerodynamics are great.

Like the previous poster says it's surprising how "non jittery" it is at higher speed, it always feels well planted and doesnt seem to suffer from crosswinds etc.

Before buying I was forwarned on here about the demerits to ride comfort of 16" wheels so I went for the 15's. Even then the ride is on the harder side.

I have the old mjet version, which is a great motorway cruiser. Since you doing good distances at speed everyday the mjet is a good choice, its at its best on the motorway. Pretty comfy seats (I have the leather option ;) ) and superb mpg. Im on average 61mpg for the life of the car, but on the motorway I usually get up to 70mpg average. I am however a bit of an ecodriver rarely going over 70mph.

As with everything your mileage may vary!

Last edited:
... Once i was coming home on the M4/ A4 and the traffic started to slow below 70mph so I drove for 25 miles or so at 70/ 60/ 50/ 40/ 30 reducing all the time... it did 76mpg.

At motorway speeds (well mine anyway!!!) the mpg drops off more than i expected (85mph crusing approx 50mpg) and noise increases. I don't think the high speed aerodynamics are great.

Good to see a real life update. I don't feel too bad about getting around 40mpg at between 85-90mph in a 1.4 petrol but the economy is really there in the MJ if you're looking for it.

I also do 60 miles a day and the 1.3MJ is fine. The 500 in general is not a quiet car from a road noise perspective, however I've added a load of sound insulation to mine and it chugs along very happily.

See signature for long-term MPG - bear in mind though I do drive slowely.

Thanks for the replies. I have been for a couple of test drives and the Fiat garage recommended the Twinair because of the milage I am doing.

What do people think of these and what is the mileage like?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the replies. I have been for a couple of test drives and the Fiat garage recommended the Twinair because of the milage I am doing.

Thanks in advance.
MJ or 1.2. Not the twinair IMHO.

Buy the TA if you want a car that has a *reasonable* (but not startling when compared to a diesel) economy, but is a hoot to drive. I've not driven the 1.2 or diesels, but bought my TA for that reason, and am very happy with it.

For me, it's perfect, and *considerably* cheaper to run than the 156 V6 it replaced! I'm getting around 42mpg when I give it some welly and it goes up to 50 ish when being gentle, which is more than enough for me.

Last edited:
Buy the TA if you want a car that has a *reasonable* (but not startling when compared to a diesel) economy, but is a hoot to drive. I've not driven the 1.2 or diesels, but bought my TA for that reason, and am very happy with it.

For me, it's perfect, and *considerably* cheaper to run than the 156 V6 it replaced!

Everything is relative of course :)

In 2009 with the job I was doing and the 50 miles each day, the 500 was paying for quite a bit of itself with just the improved economy it gave over the Subaru Legacy Turbo I was driving which was probably doing about 25mpg at best.

Thanks in advance

Thanks in advance.

MJ or 1.2. Not the twinair IMHO.

There was a guy on here before who bought a Mito MJ 1.3 (a good choice but relatively expensive and we won't mention depreciation) - was getting around 70mpg (expect 60mpg as a real life figure - the same as the 500 MJ II ) in it but ended up exchanging it for a TA.
https://www.fiatforum.com/500/273051-change-my-mito-diesel-500-twinair-will-i-get-mpg.html
I think he sold that was well !

At 60 miles a day that works out at 18K a year (60 x 6 days x 50wks). The MJ is an expensive car relative to the price of a 1.2. The OH has a mito 1.6 MJ, returns 50mpg and it is a very comfortable long distance crusier and will perform like a hot hatch.
Looking at your requirements i.e mileage and dual carriageway driving - you could justify a MJ but if you don't need the performance then a 1.2 will do the job adequately.
I've driven nearly all the 500s - TA, 1.2, MJ, 1.4 (own one), A500, A500SS and on balance for what you seem to be looking for - IMHO I would recommend the 1.2
The TA is a little cracker and being exempt from the London Congestion charge gives it a great advantage. IF you can drive it will some restraint (something that I lack in) it will suitable for what you're looking for.
IMHO the diesel is more suited in a slightly bigger car (better noise insulation & not as nose heavy) but then I haven't driven the MJ II with the 95bhp which sounds like a very quick car with more torque than the A500. In Ireland the MJ is no longer sold since 'the figures' didn't add up. There was a calculation done by JR & Pearce and I think it was around 30K to justify the MJ if you just look at the extra outlay, the economy, etc.

Thanks in advance.

I think they've given you poor advice. With the miles your doing (15k+ per year) as far as im concerned the only one to go for is the 1.3 Mjd. This makes sense from an enhanced performance point of view and cheaper running costs too.

As things stand the mjd is £1,000 more than the Multiair and over say a 2/3yr timeframe this will be made back not only in cheaper running costs but the higher resale value when you come to sell.

The only potential comparison imo is between the basic 1.2 and the 1.3Mjd... the same comparison I once had to make myself. Is the large premium for the Mjd worth it? For me the answer was yes, I hired a 1.2 for 4 days and while I found the engine suited the character of the car the 69bhp/ 75lbft torque was just not enough for me. For you it may be different.

Hi,i have had a 08 plate M/J (75bhp) for 2 months now.I bought it mainly for it's mpg but also because i can gain enjoyment from driving it everyday.It has proved to be a great choice.I can achieve 70 mpg driving steadily,i have a 100 mile daily commute which is done with ease.The 500 can 'mix' it in the outside lane when needed and suits all driving styles.What brings a smile to my face is the amount of 5oo's i see on my daily commute!If you shop around there are some bargains to be had.Mine run's on 16's which is great for looks etc but can be tiring on a long journey.

Back