Technical DPF removal - Woe before go!

Currently reading:
Technical DPF removal - Woe before go!

Have you experienced similar dealer 'good deeds'?

• who and where (we should know!)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • vehicle model and year

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

legine

I'm a recent convert to Fiat after a friend purchased a Doblo JTP 1.9.
He's not exactly kind to vehicles and so I was impressed that after 3 years of neglect carrying white goods etc, it's still in good shape. It's worth mentioning that in those three years not once has he had any DPF issues, dash warnings or experienced the dreaded 'limp home' mode.
So when it came to replace my trusty '95 Merc TD estate I considered a move to the Fiat stable.
I have to say that so far, so good and I'm pleased I have due in no small part to the herculean efforts of the dealer. See later.
I purchased an '06 Multipla Eleganza just 25k on the clock. One previous and so near immaculate.
Driving away pleased with the peppy 1.9 engine I make my way to the open road. That's really where this story begins. After just 5 miles I experience limp mode and the service readout together with engine fault light. Back to base to the astonishment of the great staff at Harbour Bonfield, Bridport, Dorset.
A courtesy car was quickly found and I made my way back home to Hampshire.
Meanwhile back at base a quick diagnostic revealed blocked DPF. No surprises there especially after reading this forum. A physical 'regen' by giving it some 'welly' was not an option so a replacement was considered. But after a rather negative response to the question 'by fitting a new unit could Fiat parts guarantee this won't recur at a corresponding low mileage', No.
So in my absence and unknown to me the garage arranged for the DPF removal and ECU remap.
The complete removal was replaced with a stainless steel section, well fabricated with tidy welds.
Now here's honesty for you dealer doubters. Harbour Bonfield were up front about the modification and gave me the option of pulling out as the vehicle was not now as purchased. I decided to go ahead anyway.
Some days later, Jon from sales and an engineer made a round trip of some 160 miles to deliver the Multi and collect the courtesy car. Their trip up was faultless and my subsequent long distance trips have proven likewise. I offer this tale purely as a confidence booster to those suffering DPF problems - remove/remap, suffer no more. You'll be glad you did.

Are you definitely talking about the DPF here and not the EGR? Am I right in saying that the DPF was only fitted to the Multijet diesels?

It would be interesting to see a piccy or two of the installation, if there are any to show.

I'm an idiot - as a newbie I didn't fully understand the poll thing - ignore it. Apologies.

Hi Legine,

I've been DPF deleted too, I had it done early this year and no regrets at all. No more frequent limp modes, a bit more power and the mpg has been consistantly 10 % better, it has already paid for itself :)

I'm a recent convert to Fiat after a friend purchased a Doblo JTP 1.9.
He's not exactly kind to vehicles and so I was impressed that after 3 years of neglect carrying white goods etc, it's still in good shape. It's worth mentioning that in those three years not once has he had any DPF issues, dash warnings or experienced the dreaded 'limp home' mode.
So when it came to replace my trusty '95 Merc TD estate I considered a move to the Fiat stable.
I have to say that so far, so good and I'm pleased I have due in no small part to the herculean efforts of the dealer. See later.
I purchased an '06 Multipla Eleganza just 25k on the clock. One previous and so near immaculate.
Driving away pleased with the peppy 1.9 engine I make my way to the open road. That's really where this story begins. After just 5 miles I experience limp mode and the service readout together with engine fault light. Back to base to the astonishment of the great staff at Harbour Bonfield, Bridport, Dorset.
A courtesy car was quickly found and I made my way back home to Hampshire.
Meanwhile back at base a quick diagnostic revealed blocked DPF. No surprises there especially after reading this forum. A physical 'regen' by giving it some 'welly' was not an option so a replacement was considered. But after a rather negative response to the question 'by fitting a new unit could Fiat parts guarantee this won't recur at a corresponding low mileage', No.
So in my absence and unknown to me the garage arranged for the DPF removal and ECU remap.
The complete removal was replaced with a stainless steel section, well fabricated with tidy welds.
Now here's honesty for you dealer doubters. Harbour Bonfield were up front about the modification and gave me the option of pulling out as the vehicle was not now as purchased. I decided to go ahead anyway.
Some days later, Jon from sales and an engineer made a round trip of some 160 miles to deliver the Multi and collect the courtesy car. Their trip up was faultless and my subsequent long distance trips have proven likewise. I offer this tale purely as a confidence booster to those suffering DPF problems - remove/remap, suffer no more. You'll be glad you did.
I hate to be the harbinger of bad news, but have you seen this?

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...63018/diesel-particulate-filters-guidance.pdf

Back