Technical Clutch slipping

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch slipping

simtech76

Hi, clutch has been slipping for about 2 months now on and off but now doing it pretty much all the time. Had a look at getting a garage to do it but £450 is about £300 more than I have :). Just wondering how difficult it would be to do the job myself. Did the front spring last weekend which was a complete **** as the bolt on the drop arm was fairly rusted and rounded off so ended up have to chisel it off an re-thread.

1.6 Petrol 02

Thanks.

Last edited:
Ok so my clutch kit arrives in 2 days, having problems getting the emanual to work. Will I need to remove / lower gearbox to replace the clutch. Any advice would be great.

Simon

easy on the 1.6 - done it loads of times because of gearbox failures.
You need to pop out the drive shafts - you can actually do this easily by unbolting the front wishbone bolt on the passinger side - this allows enough movement to pull the cv bearing apart (cut of the gator clip at the geabox end).

Once that is free you will need to remove the battery, airboxes, under cover if you still have them.
I would also personally drain the small amount of oil in the box and put fresh in.
Once all clear, clamp the pipe going to the clutch slave and remove it (you dont have to clamp it but it will save the brake fluid going everywhere).
Pop off the gear selectors cables (they just pop off, you need to wedge a long screwdriver or similar to do this) - keep note where they went.

UNBOLT the exhaust flex joint! the engine will move when the geabox is off and will break the flex joint, i have personal experiance of this - not once but 3 times !!! im a twit....

Then its just secure the engine which ever way you can, if your using a jack on the sump - SPREAD the weight otherwise you WILL end up with engine oil leaks. You are much better off with a engine lift or simlar tbh.

Now once thats secured, remove the engine mount that is under the battery tray.

Remove the mount on the back of the diff. )also keep note on the assembly here as its a bit strange and can catch you out.

unbolt the gearbox ffrom the engine and lower to the floor.

Now ive had a couple of 1.6 engine stilos, one an 03 and the wifes current is a 53, yours is an 02 so i cannot highly recomend enough changing the diff pin
read this thread
https://www.fiatforum.com/stilo/98016-1-6-driveshaft-housing-gearbox-failure-pictures.html

for the little cost involved and extra time it takes it can be a life saver, getting hold of 1.6 gearboxes are a massive task and blooming expensive - ive done it twice now and it isnt fun....
just remember to get a new roll pin as well ( i always forget until ive got the diff in pieces), i now always change the pin on a clutch change.
roy

Thanks for the advice, the pin you mentioned I am having trouble finding them, mainly cos I am not sure on what it would be called, differential pin or roll pin?

2 secs looking thru eper now for you

Edit:-
Number 3 IIRC
diff.jpg

Last edited:
2 secs looking thru eper now for you

Edit:-
Number 3 IIRC
View attachment 95867

purchase and change both 3 and 6 on the epr, the small roll pin will be invisible, you will need to grind or drill to get access so you can use a puch to knock it out.
the roll pin is hardened steel so you cannot drill it!!.

it cost me for the main pin £13 and the roll pin was about £1 approx 1 1/2 year back.
you will also need liquid gasket for when you split the casting.

i may do a wallk thu at some point, but it is a long job to remember every step, i remmeber sitting here for some hours making the cambelt change guide!

purchase and change both 3 and 6 on the epr, the small roll pin will be invisible, you will need to grind or drill to get access so you can use a puch to knock it out.
the roll pin is hardened steel so you cannot drill it!!.

it cost me for the main pin £13 and the roll pin was about £1 approx 1 1/2 year back.
you will also need liquid gasket for when you split the casting.

i may do a wallk thu at some point, but it is a long job to remember every step, i remmeber sitting here for some hours making the cambelt change guide!

and very helpfull it was too roy!

Ok so trying to remove bell housing and removed most the bolts however have came across a nut at the back of the engine near the bottom, a real git to get to get too. The thread is to long to get a socket onto and even then not enough room to get the wrench in place. Got a spanner on it but even using my weight wont budge. I gather this needs to come off as still no movement on the cluth. Anyone know how many bolts should be there so I know I have them all out:)

Last edited:
Good news is old clutch off and new one on, got the gearbox lined up however knocked over the table with the bolts so unsure what goes where. Does anyone have a diagram with bolt lengths so I know what goes where.

Need to bolt gearbox to engine and also fit mouting bracket that went between clutch and car body but unsure what bolts went where - got different lengths. Doh

Ok so new problem :) - putting into any gear stick will just move fully left and right, also cannot get into reverse. Do the cables need adjusting, if so how?

Thanks
Simon

Back