UK - New 80MPH speed limit

Currently reading:
UK - New 80MPH speed limit

Grande Mark

Government is debating on the motorway speed limit going up to 80mph, because it will allow drivers to progress in their journeys more. It was considered because cars are now more sophisticated and safe these days to be traveling at those speeds!

Advantages - Less Journey times
Disadvantages - More Petrol used, and more rigorous roads policing

The Independent - Motorway speed limit to be raised

What is everyones view on this ? What I think is it should be raised, because all the drivers that are happily to tot along at 80 now can do, and everyone else can do what they wish. Its a difficult thing to decide on...

Car Accidents will be more severe....
"90" will become the new "80" ....

I dont know, What are your views on this ???

Been discussed for ages, I really can't see them doing it, because of pressure from environmentalists and road safety nuts.

I mostly travel at 65-70 anyway to get the best fuel economy, and unless petrol suddenly falls below £1 a litre, I don't see myself changing. Not that I'd have a problem with it though, 70mph speed limits were designed around much older cars that weren't as safe, and had worse brakes.

As David said, I can't imagine them changing it, It would be good if they did I guess but theres still a lot fatalitys in new cars and also people that usually don't drive the speed limit but at 80mph would probually increase to 90mph because they wont get caught. Also wouldnt it be dangerous for people joining the motorway?

As David said, I can't imagine them changing it, It would be good if they did I guess but theres still a lot fatalitys in new cars and also people that usually don't drive the speed limit but at 80mph would probually increase to 90mph because they wont get caught. Also wouldnt it be dangerous for people joining the motorway?

Its always a dangerous task joining a motorway... I guess it would just need more concentration... just hoping someone flashes you pulls into the next lane!

Yes cars brakes are better - but think about all those older cars still running around with No Abs for instance

They do a 80mph 11's on the road if the driver isn't skilled enough
Where as a 80 less skilled driver with a driver aide might just avoid it

I'm 50/50 really
Some drivers skills aint ready - plus fuel at the price etc etc 80mph is nice idea but not viable
70mph is fine, 80 if you wanna overtake do be fine
However i can see that more 80mph camera's will be inforce to stop people going OVER 80 possibly?

To be honest its easier to stay at 70mph
Better chance of survival in a crash
Better chance at avoiding a crash
Still wont sort the bloody fact lorries overtaking lorries

Ziggy

Still wont sort the bloody fact lorries overtaking lorries

Ziggy

That's a big gripe of mine. A1 north and south between Leeming bar and Stannington is rife of lorries practising the grudge overtake maneuver. I dodged one this morning by accelerating up to 85-90 on the onramp and getting infront of the parade of lorries :slayer:

I was 3-4 mile further up the road before other cars got past them :D

Set it to 80 and people will do 90-100 it's human nature. Luckily at present cars are far safer than the limits / standards of intellegance of a lot of drivers.

Just what I was thinking. Sure some people are safe at doing 90/100. But frankly I don't trust 99% of the public on the road.

wasent there a thread on this before?

anyway i don't mind either way tbh

80 uses more fuel, 70 you don't get there as quick as for the cars and safety etc i doubt there's much in it if you have a big accident doing 70 on a motorway chances are slim anyway that's just a risk everyone takes when they drive

the real problems like usual will be other people not yourself

at risk of sounding like a paranoid tight ass, is the government really doing it for the reasons they say or do they just want use to buy more fuel?

Last edited:
wasent there a thread on this before?

anyway i don't mind either way tbh

80 uses more fuel, 70 you don't get there as quick as for the cars and safety etc i doubt there's much in it if you have a big accident doing 70 on a motorway chances are slim anyway that's just a risk everyone takes when they drive

at risk of sounding like a paranoid tight ass, is the government really doing it for the reasons they say or do they just want use to buy more fuel?

I bet its because they want more of use to use more fuel = Makes more money for them!

Stick to 70 its just easier :)

ziggy

The government aren't stupid. 10 mph increase = more fuel consumprion = more fuel bought = more money raised.

Back