General Parking sensors not working and towbar 'ramblings'

Currently reading:
General Parking sensors not working and towbar 'ramblings'

Hello, just joined up.
I got a 2003 Ulysse 2.0 16V a few days ago - it was a demonstrator and has most of the extras.
The manual says when you select reverse there should be a beep, then the reverse parking sensors operate - I don't get any sound though!
The last owner said she didn't think she had parking sensors, but there are four sensors on the back bumper, so I assume they wouldn't be there unless the whole system was fitted?
Any ideas? I checked fuse 24 as per the book, but it is OK.

Re: Parking sensors not working

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Looks like they are optional on the Dynamique, and standard on the Eleganza. What model do you have?

However, it does seem weird that the rear sensors are there?! Maybe it is an option that needs to be switched on via the Examiner unit, at the local dealership. I will also have a look on ePer, the electronics parts guide, and confirm whether there are 1 or 2 available rear bumpers.

Stu

I think Stu is right, they probably need to be activated on the ECU. They could also have been damaged if the water pipe for the rear washer came apart and leaked on the control box.

It is under warranty anyway.

Andy

OK, thanks for the ideas - I appreciate it. I will wait for the warranty transfer to come through, then visit my local dealer.
I've got the Eleganza model - there are two colour matched sensors on the ends and two black ones nearer the centre.
The third year warranty is a "dealer warranty" - does that mean it doesn't cover everything?

This seems to be the only problem at present - fantastic car! It's tempting to pay less attention to the road with so many toys to play with - I really like the Connect+ system.

Hi - so it does sounds like a wiring/Examiner issue - it is standard equipment on that car, although why the last owner thought otherwise is beyond me.

Yep, you do get slightly less cover on the 'third year' dealer warranty, although do not have to hand all the additional exclusions.

How are you finding the 2.0 petrol? What car did you come from previously?

O, and more importantly, what is the colour? :D

The last owner just didn't realise the sensors existed, I think!
I made a break with tradition after 3 Mercedes estate 7-seaters. The kid's approval rating is much higher for the Ulysse!
It's a light blue metallic finish (not sure what the colour is officially called). Drives very smoothly (for a manual!) but I have yet to try it loaded up with family, bikes, luggage etc. I bought it on EBay a couple of weeks ago so you may even have spotted it!

Haven't got the hang of the heating system yet, in auto mode it likes turning the fans right up - a bit too noisy for my liking. I am also going to be interested in getting copies of CD manuals, Connect+ firmware upgrade, and the the details of wiring towbar electrics (will I need a fancy relay?, where in the loom do I connect etc.) but I'll check through the other threads and post there if necessary.
It's good to find an online source of information like this - I'll be back!

Out of interest how much did you pay for it.

The fans normally go fast for a short time, but then slow down. They can be loud as the bearings in early versions were not great.

I think that you need a special kit for the towbar electrics due to it being a multiplexed system. The kit has a light failure warning bypass or something.

The colour is lagoon blue if it is the light blue like our's.

Good luck with it, I find the petrol gives good acceleration for the size of car. Our's is an auto and we get about 27mpg which is 80% town and 20% motorway. Not bad for such a big car.

Andy

Stu, that towbar stuff is interesting - thanks. I've done a bit more research and the Witter towbar sounds like a good bet - might not need to cut the bumper either. I already have a Witter bike-rack that has an adapter plate so I can't use a swan-neck or removable type. I'll have to check out the wiring loom part that was mentioned - better than splicing into cables. Would your parts CD identify that?
I thought I would need a bypass relay for the reasons mentioned, but the towequipe website doesn't mark it as such - see http://www.marketworks.com/storefro...000000095936170&sfid=40331&c=18185&i=15051472
Also my instruments don't seem to include a "bulb failed" warning light. Probably better to fit one anyway and isolate the trailer electrics from the car's lighting circuits.

Poggy, I got into a bit of a bidding war and ended up paying £12400. I thought the electric doors were worth holding out for! I worked out this was about half list on a new one using the Fiat website and adding all the options in. Still, I was pretty pleased as it had less than 15K miles on it and is virtually as new (apart from the faulty parking sensors!). I'm still discovering new features - I just found I can set the display to automatically switch between day and night settings. The engine pulls well for such a big car. I would have preferred an auto but am getting used to changing gear again, when I remember to.

Martin

Your up early Stu, is it your turn to get up with the kids. I was up at 6:45 with Sam.

I think you got a good deal on the Ulysse Martin, I have the electric doors and they are pretty useful. I thought the bulb warning was part of the RT3, but having read the maintenance CD, it doesn't look like it's connected so you probably don't need a bypass relay.

I think the parking sensor control box is behind the panel (with the vents in)in the boot on the rear drivers side where you change the bulbs for the rear lights. You have to be a bit careful removing the panel as you could damage the clips. It may just be worth checking that nothing is loose before going to the dealer.

It's shame you didn't get the car earlier as there was a factory option reversing sensor kit from Fiat on E-Bay a while ago which had everything in it.

Andy

poggy said:
Your up early Stu, is it your turn to get up with the kids. I was up at 6:45 with Sam.
Jules was up earlier than me, I stayed in bed til 8ish. It is our youngests 2nd birthday today, so just doing all the celebrations now :D Bob the Builder toys everywhere.........

poggy said:
I think the parking sensor control box is behind the panel (with the vents in)in the boot on the rear drivers side where you change the bulbs for the rear lights. You have to be a bit careful removing the panel as you could damage the clips. It may just be worth checking that nothing is loose before going to the dealer.
Andy

I had a look in there - there's a black control box near the top with two connectors in, and what looks like an audible/buzzer unit further down. There's a thickish earth wire in that area that wasn't connected properly (the bolt through the ring connector was almost falling out, but tightening it back up made no difference. There's also a 3-pin white connector taped out of the way - it has a thick beige wire and a thin white one into it - nowhere obvious where it might connect into though. Without a circuit diagram it's pretty hopeless! Is the CD you can get on EBay any good? The seller describes it as "Awesome" but I can only think the rest of his book collection must be really dull...

Anyway, my oldest son has just pointed out a completely new defect - the two sliding door windows should both have spring blinds like the back ones. You can just see them through the slots in the top of the door trim panel, but there are no rails or handles on them and they've rolled themselves up inside the doors. Are these easy to break? The last owner was a childminder doing school runs so it's understandable I suppose.

Martin

Hi - I have a Ulysse diagnostic disk/workshop manual - will have a look on it now.

My wife is also a childminder. We use the roller blinds on ours constantly. One did break recently, due to a defect where they catch on the doors as you open them [I don't have electric doors] - it was replaced under warranty, albeit a big job due to getting access to them.

martinw said:
Stu, that towbar stuff is interesting - thanks. I've done a bit more research and the Witter towbar sounds like a good bet - might not need to cut the bumper either. I already have a Witter bike-rack that has an adapter plate so I can't use a swan-neck or removable type. I'll have to check out the wiring loom part that was mentioned - better than splicing into cables. Would your parts CD identify that?
I thought I would need a bypass relay for the reasons mentioned, but the towequipe website doesn't mark it as such - see http://www.marketworks.com/storefro...000000095936170&sfid=40331&c=18185&i=15051472
Also my instruments don't seem to include a "bulb failed" warning light. Probably better to fit one anyway and isolate the trailer electrics from the car's lighting circuits.

I fitted a towbar to mine. I got a Eurobar which was a mistake. The righthand bracket is designed to go round the silencer but they have not left anywhere near enough space. The exhaust expands upto 3/4" when hot and bangs on the bracket.

I rang the manufacturer and they knew nothing about this. There is no adjustment in the Fiat exhaust so I guess all Ulysse bars are banging. I got the angle grinder out and stopped most of the banging but summer and hot weather is coming!

The wiring was the easiest part if you spend the money. I have a 13pin socket and ordered a Westphalia kit. It all just plugged in. There is power on a socket in the righthand side behind the light fitting. You pull off the plug on the back of the lights and refit them onto a through socket.

It disables the parking sensors when towing. You get a differant bleep to indicate the sensors are disabled.

Paul

Paul, it's good to hear you got a towbar fitted - I like the sound of the Westphalia kit - where do you buy that from? I did a google search but couldn't find anything. Does the 13-pin socket include an auxiliary feed? Our trailer tent uses that for its light and water pump. I presume you can easily get 13-pin to N/S-type connectors?

Martin

martinw said:
Paul, it's good to hear you got a towbar fitted - I like the sound of the Westphalia kit - where do you buy that from? I did a google search but couldn't find anything. Does the 13-pin socket include an auxiliary feed? Our trailer tent uses that for its light and water pump. I presume you can easily get 13-pin to N/S-type connectors?

Martin
Sorry, I got my kit from Auto Teile Unger in Germany which is a Halfords type company. There must be an importer. I will get the instruction sheet out and see if there are any phone numbers. The instructions were multilingual.

The kit provided a permanent live and a switched live. They do the twin socket variety as well.

One very late thought about your sensors. When you put it in reverse you get a bleep a couple of seconds later after a test, do you get that? The sensors will be on a plug and socket, I don't suppose they have not been plugged in properly have they?

Paul

Paul

Paul, thanks for the towbar wiring info, if you find any contact numbers I'll definitely follow it up.
There is no bleep at all when I select reverse so it could be something as simple as something not plugged in. I just don't know where else to look.
Does the bleep come from the rear or from the dash?
I'm getting the workshop manual CD shortly so I'll see if that has any info, otherwise I'll have to pay a visit to the dealer I think - as long as the third year warranty covers it I may as well let them look into it.

Martin

Hi,

I was told by my dealer today that the rear washer pipe does come off and leaks all over the reversing sensors. This can blow up the black box.

Even if it is not under the 3rd year warranty, they are obliged to fix it as the fault is caused by a design problem which was present when the car was built and probably happened when it was under warranty.

Andy

I think the problem with the door blinds is that if they are broken and need replacing then the whole panel has to be replaced.
Can't image why as the problem is always with the fabric being torn and or the plastic clips being broken.
If you need it to look nice then new is the option but if your handy I suspect you could extract the pastic bar back out of the slot and make a better pair of fixing hooks for them. (I'm sure if the two plastic hooks snap off then the bar will drop into the whole) Probably save yourselve many pounds as well.
May as well have the dealer look at the reverse sensor issue. If it's under warrenty then fine if not at least they'll tell you whats wrong and you can fix it yourself.

Back