General 500 Thoughts

Currently reading:
General 500 Thoughts

Bluetruck

Well, I've had my 500 Lounge for nearly 3 weeks and I have to say I've never enjoyed a car so much(y) It is superb. It’s a 2009 1.2 finished in light blue.
A definite benefit has been to drop the tire pressures by 2psi which has improved the ride quality no end, it still has plenty of tyre noise in the cabin but that’s small cars for you.
The build quality is very good, the body feels very solid and the interior is well screwed together. The steering is light, I thought a bit too light on first driving but I’m used to it now. With the city button pressed its finger tip light!
I was worried at first if I’d find the 1.2 engine underpowered as it replaced a Peugeot 406 HDi estate but no, it’s fine. More fun to be had driving a small engine car fast that a big engine one!
Only niggles so far has been a rattle from the back seat which comes and goes and the off side front suspension strut top fills up with water! It’s gone rusty so I’ve lathered it in copper grease as fitted a plastic lid over it, which seems to work.
I find the gap in the gear ratios between 1st and 2nd very large so I have to go a bit faster in 1st that I would like. Maybe that’s just me......
Only filled it twice and its only been pottering around town so current mpg is 44, which seems pretty good as I’m not the most economical pilot.
It’s all good!

My wife and I have only had our 500 1.2 POP for two weeks. We replaced our old sports cabrio and we have absolutely no regrets. Wife's return trip to work is 16 miles per day, she has done over 300 miles so far with her other little trips out of work and the fuel gauge is currently reading just under half a tank from filling it up on the day we took delivery. I am a big car man myself, I own a famous name executive model (diesel and very eco friendly I might add!), but when I drive the 500, it is great fun and oozes charm. Our 500 is black, on a 60 plate, Air Con and Blue and Me and as of this morning is now fitted (by myself) with rear mudflaps.

Well I just posted my fitting event today on the 500 rear mudflaps thread this avo. I know everyone is of different technical ability and in no way am I suggesting that others need micro managing guidance, but if you plan on fitting them yourself and you ain't done it before, it might prove useful. I absolutely have utter respect for anyone that can follow the sometimes mystifying instructions supplied with certain products!

I'm now toying with the idea of fitting rear parking sensors, but I will have to do some research and reading first. Anyone reading this who can point me to the most relevant post, it would be much appreciated!

I have also bought the genuine Fiat floor mats for our 500, expensive when compared to high street alternatives, but absolutely worth it in my opinion.

MEP, what the hell would Fiat and various tyre companies know about tyres and tyre pressures? 10 lashes across the back with a cane for you!!!!!!

Back