Santander Insurance

Currently reading:
Santander Insurance

Trimdoner

As renewal time was coming up, I did my usual sweep of insurers to check quotes, especially as everyone's is going up. (Been with LV for a couple of years)
2007 MJ, no accidents, 56 yr old, full ncd etc etc.

Santander came in - literally -a few pounds cheaper than all the others at £196, (LV £212) but had breakdown cover thrown in, about £60 worth, so I decided to give it a go.

BIG MISTAKE

Went through the small print online as usual, nothing to note except excess was £350 instead of £200 at LV, so paid up 2 days before LV expired.
1st batch of papers arrived and certificate. Noted that I was no longer covered to drive other cars (first time in 38 years) even though I stated that I had access to other family cars. Phoned up to ask why, and the phrase 'customer service' seemed a bit optimistic. Each person I spoke to was polite but emotionless, with the distinct implication that I was somehow trying to pervert the course of justice. I was curtly told that I would need to cancel and re-insure elsewhere if I needed cover to drive other cars, and did I realise it was a criminal offence to drive a car without insurance :confused::bang: Oh, of course there would be a cancellation fee of £45 plus a short-term policy rate for the 10 days on cover......

Next, I received by post a request for a copy of my driving licence, both sides of my photocard licence, plus proof of my existing NCB.
Scanned, copied and posted same, also including a letter of complaint at the level of 'customer service'. Three days later, I received a reply thanking me for my comments, followed by more or less a copy of my complaints with a tag line saying 'we don't do that'.

On the 19th Aug I received a letter stating in no uncertain terms that my insurance was to be cancelled on the 23rd because I had failed to provide proof of NCB and copies of my licence.....

Back on the phone - after gently pointing out that the docs had obviously been received as they had replied to my letter - I arranged to email copies directly to Santander. Problem solved.....

Half hour later, Santander phones back to say they can't accept proof of NCB as copy of ncb proof from LV does not actually state that the LV policy is cancelled, and of course you can't use the same NCB on two policies. (Why on earth I would insure the same car twice is beyond me)

Back on phone to LV - extremely helpful people - who had kept my old policy live without payment for three weeks, just in case payment had been overlooked !! They agreed to cancel the policy forthwith, provide proof of NCB and also cancel any premium due since the renewal date of July 27th. And no, it wasn't a policy paid by direct debit - I always pay in full at commencement.

Back on phone to Santander. Helpful as ever, they insisted that I was not entitled to a NCB for the three weeks they'd already had me on cover, so happily demanded another £21 additional premium. :mad::mad::mad: - or cancel the policy with the expenses already outlined.

I hope this year goes quickly - guess who my next insurer will be.

Seen the title and thought you were going to be reccomending them, I hate Santander, I know it's probably underwritten by another company but I still wouldn't have anything to do with them, that does sound like a painful ordeal though!

Equity at Lloyds are the underwriters - probably another pack of sharks to avoid.
My apologies for not making the thread title more explicit - no way I would recommend this lot! :slayer:

As a parting shot ( I probably made that initial rant a bit too long ) in all my 38 years of insuring cars for private/business/motor trade cover I have never had such an arrogant and unhelpful attitude displayed by an insurer - God only knows what would happen if I dared to make a claim.
Unfortunately, they will obviously remember that was one of the comments I made in my original letter - I was told on my second phone call that I was marked on their system as 'an unhappy customer'.

Back